Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Unbonded threaded insert + Carbon rocker link… your advice pls!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Both aluminium threaded inserts on my Trance Advanced rocker link (carbon) appear to have come unbonded from the carbon. These are the bits secure the topmost rear triangle bearings to the rocker link. I had wondered what that creaking noise was!

I’ve managed to – easily – pop both of these threaded insets out and see that everything looks pretty much okay inside. The metal also inserts appear fine and dandy too.

It should be a pretty straight fix to carefully epoxy these back in?

1) If doing this myself which uber-hardcore pro epoxy for carbon would be best to use? (I’m guessing the stuff at Poundland probably won’t cut it!)

2) Even though it’s just a rocker link, would I be best off sending this part to a carbon frame repairer – to get it professionally fixed?

3) Is there any remote chance that these Alu threaded inserts are not actually supposed to be bonded to the rocker? (Though I can’t see how!)

Thanks! 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

My Rize has bonded inserts in the carbon seatstays they are held in with Loctite 638. It’s expensive but you only need the smallest amount. I got 3ml from cromwell.co.uk but it looks as though they only have it in 250ml bottles at the moment.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sweet! Cheers.. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinxyz
    Free Member

Is it out of the warranty period?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…secondhand ’08 frame, so no luck on that! 😐

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Unbonded threaded insert + Carbon rocker link… your advice pls!’ is closed to new replies.