• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Unbelievable repair by a Bike Shop. Or is it?
  • SaxonRider

After last weekend’s fiasco with trying to remove the cranks in order to replace the BB on my road bike, I carried it in to an LBS for them to do.

After a week, I finally picked it, carried it home, and put on the new wheels I had sitting in my living room. Once on, though, I had to adjust the front derailleur, as it was a mess.

After struggling for a while, I finally got it to a stage where I thought I could hit the road, and went out yesterday morning full of excitement.

Well, I got about 5 miles from home and could not keep the chain from falling off the smallest chainring, and so pulled into a different LBS that I passed on my normal weekend route.

They very kindly took a look at it right away, and after adjusting it to the best of their ability, came out and asked who had set the BB and chainrings up, as the rings were too far out from the frame, and the pin on the outer chainring had not been set behind the crank arm.

Is that really bad workmanship on the part of the first LBS? Or are these mistakes anyone could have made?

jjojjas
    Free Member

What would you be thinking if the local garage did that to your car?
    Sounds like crap service to me.

wiggles
    Free Member

Why would they remove the chainring when fitting a bb for you?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or is it a mistake anyone could have made

well, they are, but

Is that really bad workmanship on the part of the first LBS?

this for me; chainring pin and BB spacer shims (assume that was the cause) both pretty obvious and visible things to get wrong, so should have been picked up when it was given a final once-over. I’ve made mistakes in my workshop, but I’ve spotted them and rectified them before I’ve wheeled the bike out and I’d expect a professional to do the same.

scotroutes

I’m guessing they must have put too many spacers behind the drive-side BB shell, forcing the whole chainline/chainset out.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They sound like **** idiots.

sillyoldman

Road HTII BBs don’t have spacers.

Is it a square taper set up, and they’ve fitted too long a BB?

Have the rings been off previously? As stated above, no need whatsoever to remove rings to install a new BB, nor to remove cranks.

kcal

the spacers stuff is sounding familiar to me — the guides are all very well, but if chainlink isn’t right, then the spacer settings are requiring some finesse…

scotroutes

Ah hang on, wasn’t this an ISIS BB/Crankset?

SaxonRider

Is it a square taper set up, and they’ve fitted too long a BB?

See here for pictures of BB and cranks.

Determined it was ISIS.

Ah hang on, wasn’t this an ISIS BB/Crankset?

We did, scotroutes. In the midst of criticising my thumbnail, we somehow got to it.

sillyoldman

Ah – OK.

So they’ve fitted too long a BB – 118mm or 113mm rather than 108mm?

You can see from the pics in your other thread that the inner ring is on wrongly pre-removal. Shop not guilty of that.

ISIS BBs are relatively scarce now, so they perhaps couldn’t source a 108mm, and fitted a 113mm? Without wheels there, they couldn’t try it out.

Should have told you though.

Sounds more like a 118mm is fitted though – chainline would be out by 2.5mm with a 113mm – bad, but not bad enough to drop the chain I wouldn’t have thought.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yep, on your previous photos it doesn’t look like either of the chainrings’ tabs are behind the crank arm.

spxxky
    Free Member

This any good to you

Dura Ace 108 axle
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/EsbRiS]20160228_212955[/url] by spxxky, on Flickr

sillyoldman

Hollowtech spline is different from ISIS, and axles aren’t removable in ISIS generally. Nice offer though!

simondbarnes

This any good to you

Only if he changes his chainset.

SaxonRider

Incredibly helpful thread. Thank you, and thanks for your generosity.

ctk
    Free Member

If they took the BB off they should have replaced it with one with the same length axle. Give the shop a chance to make it right?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Unbelievable repair by a Bike Shop. Or is it?’ is closed to new replies.