Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ummm… what is a good length to cut a steerer to??
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Fitting a brand new (eeek!) fork to a medium Giant Trance for the first time. Head tube length is 127mm.

Would consider maybe using the fork in a Yeti ASR-5 one day, which apparently has a 114mm head tube… Shorter – so that’s not a worry! 😛

I’m thinking if I start off by cutting the steerer at 220mm I shouldn’t end up completely hoofing this up.

Any ideas? Does 220mm sound about right? 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

Id go for 60mm longer than you need now (HT incl headset stack height) . Just in case. 20mm of spacers isnt going to get you busted by the style police! 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Why not test fit it and see?

haggis1978

i think the most your supposed to have is 30mm spacers so add your stack height, stem height etc to that and then ride it and see. that way you can play about with the correct height before making the final cut

m1kea
    Free Member

Overall height/length of steerer = headset, 25mmish of spacers and then stem.

Add another 10mm (of spacers) to start with on the initial cut and test ride.

Ignore the style police for running spacers above the stem as you need to fettle the stem position. 20+ mm of spacers is a no no though….
    😉

Also it’s sometimes worth running an additional 5mm of extra spacers to take into account differences in stems and headset heights. Unless you can guarantee you’ll use the same models each time a bit of excess can help with future upgrades.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Assemble the headset, stem, spacers etc on the bike, as if you were building it properly, and puch it all together. Mark the steerer at the top of where this lot comes to, cut 3-4mm below that.

That said, I wouldn’t cut a steerer to less than 200mm….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Could you leave the steerer about 260mm long, decide you don’t like the forks and sell them to me at a vastly reduced discount? :mrgreen:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That said, I wouldn’t cut a steerer to less than 200mm….

Under 180mm seems harder to sell secondhand, 200mm leaves masses of steerer on shorter HT frames.

Personaly I go for frame+headset+stem+20mm, which usualy comes arround 180mm and allows some adjustment.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as long as possible so you can resell or swap to another bike I think i have about 30 mm above my stem iirc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ummm… what is a good length to cut a steerer to??’ is closed to new replies.