Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • ummm, sorrry, what tyres for canal paths….??
  • lovewookie

Ideally looking for something fast rolling, cheap, light but with enough grip to tackle a bit of light offroading. It’s for 26″ mtb wheels

I either go with the invereted tread type touring/commute type tyres, or semi slicks? or something knobbly but with more of a central tread like hutchinson pythons or geax suguaro’s or that sort of thing. Or do I go with full nobbies, but in a 1.5-1.8″ flavour and pump em hard?

currently running what was old and in the shed which is a 2.2 specialized enduro up front and a worn captain out back.

Basically just want something a bit faster than full on nobbies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TheWrongTrousers

I’ve used some skinny Kenda Small Block 8’s that I thought were pretty good on towpath commute, 1.95’s I think they were

binners

Kenda Small Block 8’s or DMR Moto’s, with plenty of pressure in them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spacemonkey

Schwalbe Marathons. Plenty to choose from, e.g 2.0 (or thinner) semi-slicks will do. Up the pressure and away you go.

Mister-P
    Free Member

From my experiences of canal towpaths you need something with plenty of puncture resistance.

nbt

I run Schwalbe Marathons Plus on my CX for a canal towpath commute

patriotpro
    Free Member

2.4 Ardents (Tubeless)

thetabber
    Free Member

I commute on unmade canal tow paths, used to have the specialized armdillo crossroads which were very good but fancied a change and now how the schwalbe marathon tour on the back (one puncture in six months) and the marathon mtb up front (no punctures in four months). Would recommend either, the mtb is nobblier but pretty narrow (2.0) so feels pretty quick.

warton
    Free Member

marathon plus +1

chakaping
    Free Member

I can offer you a pair of good condition 2.35in Kenda Small Block 8s which I used to love for bombing round the Lea Valley Park’s many paths, before I moved away.

They make great summer MTB tyres too, if you like a bit of drift.

£27.50 posted, email in profile if interested.

kiwijohn

Continental Verticals.

thx1138
    Free Member

From my experiences of canal towpaths you need something with plenty of puncture resistance.

I have Specialized Armadillo tyres on my commuter, and use the towpaths in London quite a lot. They seem to be good tyres for the job.

edlong
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe Land Cruisers. Fairly fast, damn tough (I commute through plenty of broken glass and not had a puncture in five months) and a little bit of rufty tufty capability. I think they’re designed for trekking. Oh, and cheap they certainly are, last time I bought them, got a pair for £18.17 including delivery from germany (Bike Discount site). Mine are 1.9s

plumber
    Free Member

yep landcruisers here

Though I have done lee valley path on road bike slicks with no ill effects

wwaswas

From my experiences of canal towpaths you need something with plenty of puncture resistance you can wash dog poo out of easily.

ftfy

jeffl

Halo Twin Rails.

traildog
    Free Member

Something you can run tubeless. I suffered a million punctures on my last canal trip due to the annual cutting of the hedges. I had tubeless in the front (no problems) but a tube in the rear (a million and one punctures) as I was going to swap the tyre in the very near future so just put a temporary tube in there. Damn.

I’d use marathons or Landcruisers for 700c wheels. Maybe Marathons or similar for 26″ if not wanting to go tubeless.

frosty87
    Free Member

Definitely something from the schwalbe marathon range. perfect for canal towpaths.

My dad has done hundreds of miles round holland on his and swears by them. And they know a thing or two about canals in the netherlands too!

as well as the marathon plus take a look at the marathon deluxe and marathon mondial.

kayak23

Small block 8’s are made out of tissue paper. Great apart from that though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ummm, sorrry, what tyres for canal paths….??’ is closed to new replies.