Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Umbilical hernia
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Pain and a bit poking through my navel Monday evening so admitted to hospital and operated Tuesday.
    Seemed to go ok, still bit tender on it but up and about.
    Doc said no lifting for 4 weeks and when I asked about cycling he said wait until new year.
    Anyone else wish to share their experience?

aracer
    Free Member

I had a paraumbilical, which is presumably fairly similar in terms of recovery. Was told 6 weeks but started cycling again a little earlier as I figured there wasn’t much strain on it doing that – road biking rather than MTB. Good excuse not to lift things though.

maccruiskeen

Depends on the nature of the surgery as much as the problem they fixed…… so favour the advice of someone who actually did the surgery rather than people who think they had something similar. The methods each surgeon varies on how and when they trained and also any complications you present as a patient.

Any advice on what you can or can’t do from docs isn’t always clear as whether something would be detrimental (i.e. Undo the surgery) or just painful.

My neighbour had me moving a 5ft tall solid fuel stove for her 10 days after my paraumbilical surgery. but she was s surgeon working in the same department that operated on me. Her advice was the surgery I had was stronger than I was to start with- straight out of theatre. So the only barrier to exercise was pain. She was able to underwrite the advice with a promise to make any repairs on the kitchen table if anything pinged out. We discussed the unavailability of anesthetics. She said that wasn’t a problem for her.

Later she told me she’s killed her lovers terminally ill wife ‘with her thoughts’

scaredypants

Later she told me she’s killed her lovers terminally ill wife ‘with her thoughts’

so how long after that before you moved house?

MrOvershoot

Had a 2 for 1 in 2010 Umbilical & Inguinal at the same time.
    Had slight complications post Op but 6 weeks later I was back on the bike.
    Your body will mostly tell you if its not a good idea.

mountainman

Inguinal here back in february,within 4 days i was walking 5km daily.week 2 cycling was bit painful ,week 3 back on bike .
    Consultant/registrar sign off 6 week post op said oh you can walk a bit now stay off bike thou for 4 weeks ,wife promptly told him he’s doing 10 km a day.
    When can we have sex again ?
    To which the young registrar just smiled n said be carefull.

martymac

Umbilical repair on 7th nov here, biggest one the surgical team had seen, they told me.
    Rode my bike after 4 weeks, tarmac paths only, had no strength whatsoever, but managed 20 mins with no problem.
    3 weeks later, im still fine, went back to work on monday, no problems. Tired a little more easily though.
    My op was done via keyhole.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Umbilical hernia’ is closed to new replies.