Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • ultrasound and sports injury
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

There seems to be little research on the use of ultrasound as a therapy for sports injuries but I’ll accept that there is a history of custom and practice.

What I want to know is if there is anyway such a set (ie, not the one at the hospital with the imaging screen) can be used diagnostically?

I don’t see it myself but just want to double check before I call “charlatan”.

crikey
    Free Member

I think you’d have to describe it in more detail.
    Imaging using ultrasound is straightforward enough; it must be, they teach it to doctors. I know it has been used as a therapeutic aid to healing, but diagnostically…. without imaging…. sounds a wee bit like a leap of faith to me.

debaser

I had it used on me as a treatment when I stuffed my rotator cuff. My physio said that there was no hard evidence of its efficacy, but that there was no harm in giving it shot.

Not sure what you mean by ‘used diagnostically’ though. Without any screen/feedback surely you can’t diagnose anything?! (Unless you are a bat)

Onzadog
    Free Member

That was my thinking. There was no screen, no feedback at all. He seemed to think if there was something structurally wrong, I would “feel” the ultrasound.

crikey
    Free Member

What were his ‘qualifications’?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ll double check. Starting to worry they might be signed in crayon.

Northwind

My physio used ultrasound as part of my treatment, though not as a diagnostic (i can see how it could do that, just not without a monitor, the therapeutic ultrasound kit was not hte same as imaging kit). Apparently the jury’s out on whether it’s an effective treatment but it was bloomin amazing for just removing discomfort. Can’t recall exactly why. Crystals or something 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

That was my thinking. There was no screen, no feedback at all. He seemed to think if there was something structurally wrong, I would “feel” the ultrasound.

It’s theoretically possible that you might feel it if you were to apply ultrasound over a recent fracture site. BUT if there is any suspicion of a fracture then ultrasound is contraindicated and shouldn’t be used. I’m calling charlatan.

I dont think much of ultrasound as a treatment tool, but some people think it works wonders.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ultrasound and sports injury’ is closed to new replies.