Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ultrasonic cleaners
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Anyone use one? I want to clean a load of old motobike parts including carburretors as i’m lead to believe that your carbs arent truly clean until they are ultrasonically clean..

Whats the pitfalls of using one?
    And how much should one spend on one?
    How do you ensure that you don’t damage delicate components/soft metal with the cleaning solutions?

jimw
    Free Member

I use one quite a bit for my jewellery work. As it is mostly with silver and gold I can’t comment on the solutions, but in terms of the equipment, like optics, you tend get what you pay for in general. If it is for the use every now and agin you might get away with a cheap one, but for extended use it is worth spending more.

Preventing damage is usually simple by making sure you don’t have the small pieces touching in the basket. For tiny items you can put them into smaller containers in the basket but this does increase the time taken to clean

porter_jamie

i have one and have used it for carbs. sadly my R1 has 4 carbs bolted together so you have to stick them in one way and then the other as spliiting them apart looks a bit scary.

ulysse
    Free Member

Its the only way you’re gonna clean those pilot jets in the carbs

sobriety
    Free Member

I have a 6 litre one for doing motorbike parts.

I need a 12 litre one really.

You will discover this too, there’s always something that needs cleaning that’s too big to fit!

slimjim78
    Free Member

my next question was going to be what size..

I too have a bank of 4 carbs so am planning to split them – I bought a cheap set of 4 matching carbs to use as a reference should the 3D puzzle go awry on reassembly!

Regarding cleaning solutions – you’re effectively removing microns of material with an acid based solution, are you not?

Therfore, do you need to consider reapplying a protective zinc coating to parts that were zinc coated prior to cleaning? (and how do you tell?)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ultrasonic cleaners’ is closed to new replies.