Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • ultra-wide flat pedals (or pedal axle extenders)
  • 5lab

I just fitted a wee-ride to one of my bikes to allow me to take the wee nipper out on rides. The first ride (maybe 5 miles) went well, but my feet were really sore at the end from having my knees out, feet in.

At the moment the bike has what appears to be fake v8s on it. Is there a pedal that’s known to have an extremely long crank-to-outer-edge? the pedal body itself doesn’t need to be particularly wide, I just want to be able to sit with my feet comfortably about 5cm futher out than they currently are. I found some specialized axel extenders but they only appear to give an extra 20mm each side.

Obviously there’s a risk of too much load on the crank with this sort of thing, but I don’t think I’ll be putting much force through it with the kid onboard so that might be negligable

scotroutes

What you want is a fatbike 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    5lab

@rock – that might help – thanks. Specialized used to make something similar but it appears it was recalled

@scotroutes – this is already on a fatbike – so I doubt I’m going to get a wider crankset anywhere!

MSP

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/20-jtek-qplus-pedal-extenders-916-inch/

30mm is the longest I have seen, iirc knee savers will manufacture non standard to order, but they are pretty expensive to start with so would be an expensive solution.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never did understand sticking the nipper right where your knees want to be.

chiefgrooveguru

I remember this being an issue in my early days of Weeriding, though more with knee discomfort than foot hotspots but I haven’t noticed it at all more recently.

I wonder if what has changed is that I’ve been doing yoga and other stuff that’s improved my hip mobility? Also I’ve learnt to only wear stiffer soled shoes on the bike – which is my old XC hardtail (the one I was on when we rode Stanmer and WP years ago). That bike has V12s on it and a 68/73mm BB whilst my other bikes both have Vaults which are usefully wider.

Try sitting cross-legged for 10 minutes a day and see if that helps with the ankle and hip mobility!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ultra-wide flat pedals (or pedal axle extenders)’ is closed to new replies.