Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Ultra running
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I guess there are parallels in XC mtb events – for me (at least) there are some hills where cycling speed = walking speed but cycling effort > walking effort. Given desire to maximise performance, the choice is pretty simple. Walk those bits.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Thanks for the info folks, keep it coming. Thanks highlandman, I’ve had a look at the website already kinda like the idea of doing it out with an event though.

highlandman
    Free Member

Plenty of our ‘family’ run the Way in small groups or solo with back up, outside of the event. However, it’s having the safety back up during the event that allows the runners to really concentrate on what they’re doing, rather than worrying so much about where they’re next meeting the crew, who’s going to patch them up, etc. Don’t underestimate the route, it has kicked the asses of some very good runners indeed. Sound advice might be to gradually build up to the event through qualifying Ultras, do it and do well with the back up of the event around you, then come back and have a go solo with minimal support another time.
    The original race in 1985 was one on one. Both finished, but only because they helped each other.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TexWade
    Free Member

There is a very good series of podcasts on this. Download the ask the ultra runner podcasts from endurance planet. Usually a podcast a week doing a q and a session.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Not really ultras, but I’ve done a few LAMMs/KIMMS and the High Peak Marathon (40+ miles) a few years ago, and that has lead me to conclude it’s all in the head as much as the legs (although obviously you can’t be a total sack of spuds). You just need to keep moving, and forget about ‘running’ in the same sense that you might do a marathon or whatever. I wouldn’t really say I’m much of a runner- the longest ‘proper’ run I’ve ever done is a half marathon, but I can do long days out in the hills and know how to get my head down and plod on.

Good advice above too about not trying to sprint up hills, and also as mentioned it’s probably different if you’re thinking about podiums rather than getting round to your own satisfaction. But I’d say the barrier to entry and not being DFL is lower than you might think, assuming a reasonable level of fitness.

Emsz’s point about not running all the way: Definitely agree about marathons etc- if I’d had to stop on my half I’d have counted that as a fail- but this sort of thing is a different game IMO.

takisawa2

Dean Karnasis has a good book on ultra marathon running.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Ultra running’ is closed to new replies.