Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ultra Endurance event in Scotland
  • skirlbear
    Free Member

Hey folks,

I wondered if there was any genuine interest in an ultra endurance road race in Scotland (Summer 2018). I thought that the North Coast 500 Mile would be an interesting route but I’d be more than happy to consider alternate routes and distances. I’ve been fascinated by the Race Across America since it started and, if all goes well, I would love to see this type of event being used a RAAM qualifier. Who knows, with a bit of effort this could showcase cycling in Scotland. I’m just after an initial show of interest and I’m interested in all concerns, ideas and solutions. Cheers, Gordon.

greentricky
    Free Member

This is running next year for the first time, sounds hellish
    Baa Baa bikepack

Just can’t imagine doing an event like that in the UK

skirlbear
    Free Member

Wow! This is harder than RAAM! Unsupported for that distance is pretty serious.

fatmax

Not a race but a Scotland end to end that a mate is organising – http://www.langwaydoon.co.uk, might be of interest to some.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@fatmax, that is indeed interesting.
    Better hope its not a windy day though, 330mi headwind may get a bit old!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Plenty of audaxes about in Scotland that have been doing ultra endurance before it was cool.

skirlbear
    Free Member

@fatmax I just registered my interested. Might be too much too soon; looks like an awesome challenge.

fatmax

Nice one skirlbear. I know Ross isn’t wanting or expecting huge numbers for LWD, as it’s going to be quite some day oot. Agreed about the wind direction fifeandy, and it’s rare that we ever get a notherley. I’ll not be riding it, but might do the last few hours, Perth to the border, or something like that.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Been looking how it fits with my plans for the year and actually looking quite possible. Was planning my first 200 in June, so not beyond reason to stretch to a 330 in July.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Baa Baa is only 59’climbing per mile. South Downs Way is 120’/ mile (though only 100 miles). American Trail Race is 69′ / mile and on mountain bikes, and 5000 miles – and we get to ride Moab on the way!

I think I want a road bike. This looks fun.

scotroutes

The baa baa routes down the A9 and A82. Possibly the worst roads for cycling in Scotland.

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    The baa baa routes down the A9 and A82. Possibly the worst roads for cycling in Scotland.

That suggests they haven’t ridden the course. They do say there will be changes.

I hope so. I’ve put my name down. Every race needs a lanterne rouge. 🙂

larrydavid
    Free Member

Plenty of audaxes about in Scotland that have been doing ultra endurance before it was cool.

No offence pal, but that’s rubbish. Ultra endurance started maybe 10 years ago at most. It was invented, like the Tour de France, to sell stuff to people, ideally people working in high-status professions. And, before carbon came along, bikes simply could not be laterallystiffandverticallycompliant. So it was impossible. Touring Bikepacking was invented in 2011 or 2012, nobody is quite sure.

thebonk
    Free Member

No offence pal, but that’s rubbish. Ultra endurance started maybe 10 years ago at most. It was invented, like the Tour de France, to sell stuff to people, ideally people working in high-status professions. And, before carbon came along, bikes simply could not be laterallystiffandverticallycompliant. So it was impossible. Touring Bikepacking was invented in 2011 or 2012, nobody is quite sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audax_(cycling)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ultra Endurance event in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.