Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ultimate niche food – jerky, making it?
  • core

Bound to be popular with the beardy fatbike riders, ss rigid steel brigade, and battle reenactment crowd.

Beef jerky, has anyone made it? Quite fancy a go as it’s quite dear and I like it, a lot

timidwheeler

Yes.
    I bought a £30 dehydrator which makes it really easy to make. Cut the meat really thin, cover with spices and dehydrate for 6-10 hours. Try turkey breast jerky for a low fat/high protein alternative.

Edit – just for the record, none of the above description applies to me.

CountZero

I remember reading about making jerky many years ago, something about putting the thin-sliced beef into an oven on very low heat, with the door slightly open, for a number of hours.
    Where did you get the dehydrator? I really like jerky, and as core sez, it ain’t cheap! I particularly like peppered and honey BBQ versions.

timidwheeler

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/household/kitchen_appliances/electric_and_mechanical_appliances/dehydrating_appliances/193811-food_dehydrator.htm

It’s quite basic and I find it works best if I move stuff about every few hours but it does the job. I bought some breathable plastic lining for it and have successfully dehydrated curry, chilli and stew for backpacking. The chilli was fine a year later (no beans). Also makes fruit leather.

pictonroad

I make Biltong in an filing cabinet liberated from work, fancy giving jerky a go though, are the dehydrators good then?

CountZero

Cheers for that, cheap enough to give it a go.
    I’ve tried biltong, but I really don’t like the flavour, must be whatever it’s seasoned with.

CountZero

Found a recipe on line, that uses a regular oven:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/t-birds-beef-jerky/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ultimate niche food – jerky, making it?’ is closed to new replies.