Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Ultimate 140mm light-weight trail bike
  • Hadge
    Free Member

It was pretty special – it flew up hills and was very quick coming down them – apart from me that is lol. I did work out what it cost and it’s not near that, closer to £3k. Pre price increase on Shimano I guess and I do work at BETD lol.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed the mag/tis were worse, they were a totally different shape, much larger body, we had one chap who kept breaking them!

You can’t beat XTR for pedal reliability though!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hadge, sorry, but to say that you were nearer £3k on the build is just being in denial on your overdraft. My BLT2 frame is about the same as a Yeti. Standard build kit with Pike, X9, Hope Minis, Truvativ cheese crankset etc came out at about £2700 with SC build kit. Would have been over £3k if I had build from individual components. In your build I can see instantly at least £600 of extra cost without going into stuff like Ti saddles and carbon bling. This is STW not your missus you are talking to 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Which would be £3300, ie nearer £3000 than £4000 😉

I agree though, I’d put it nearer to £4000, but that’s fairly irrelevant!

Hadge
    Free Member

I aren’t in denial lol. I found the info for prices – £3175 for the lot. Brand new frame too – the clue was in where I work :wink:. The seatpost was second-hand all the rest was new. I do buy where’s cheapest too – CK headset was £65 from US, and I got the XTR chainset when Wiggle were doing them for below £170!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I think on todays prices, you’d be substantially over £4000, which still isn’t bad when an S-Works Stumpjumper is £4500!

RepacK
    Free Member

Got an edit to do 😉 Just weighed my BLT2 & its come in at 29lbs dead which is heavier than what I thought it was but I was weighing my HT at the same time & I fink I gots confused & mis-remembered 🙂 I paid about £3.5k for mine – my trick was to pay cold hard cash..Always a fave 😉

ps Like I said if I went for a lighter set of tyres & Stans or similar Id get the weight under 29lbs.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually we’d always far rather take a debit card than cash, cash is only an advantage if you’re not putting things through the books, considering most shops log their stock by frame number it’s pretty hard to do…

RepacK
    Free Member

Well as someone said: “Ask no questions, tell no lies”.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

So actually Hadge, what you’re saying is you built it for less than its replacement cost!

😉

Singletrackmonkey from here had his 05 5spot valued for insurance recently to allow for the price hikes. Its a pretty typical high-end build – pushed Air pike 454’s and Fox RP3, XTR, Sram X.0, hope pro2’s on mavics, thomson and Hope M4’s – It came out at £4750.

Which reminds me. I should get mine re-assessed too…

mcboo
    Free Member

My Blur LT1 XL somehow comes in at a shade under 28lbs. Talas 15mm bolt through fork, SRAM X9 shifters and mechs, Stroker Trail brakes, Middleburn cranks, XC717 rims, Racing Ralphs.

To be honest I wouldnt want it to be any lighter, only comes out in the summer for racey dry XC trails and trips to the Alps. 140mm travel often ends with me getting in a little over my skis, but that set up is still heavy enough that I can just lean back a tad, let the legs and arms flex and the bike will barrel through and hold the line. Any lighter and you are kind of defeating the purpose, the bike would just skip and bounce just when you need it most.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

And of course nobody on this forum is carrying any extra pounds of unnecessary body weight. I could probably save the equivalent of £1000 worth of bling by drinking one less bottle of wine a week and laying off the weekend comestible treats. And its weight carried way above the CoG of the bike

njee20
    Free Member

I could do with losing a bit of fat, but I’m 5’10” and just under 11 stone, with a 29″ waist, so the bike’s the more obvious place to look 😉

Hadge
    Free Member

Have you been peeping? 😕

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

njee if you’re 5′ 10″ and under 11 stone I’m carrying more fat in my left leg than you have in total

squin
    Free Member

This One!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

What a surprise, another willy waving thread.

druidh
    Free Member

Where?

Isn’t this just folk answering the OPs question?

Hadge
    Free Member

That’s a really nice bike Stu – had one just like it 😉

squin
    Free Member

Hadge – it’s happier now though, back with it’s first true love! 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Sob sob 😥 you rat pmsl. I’m off out tomorrow on the new bike – hope my legs hold up. Got a bloody trapped nerve in my neck as well lol.

squin
    Free Member

Hadge – Member
    Sob sob you rat pmsl. I’m off out tomorrow on the new bike – hope my legs hold up. Got a bloody trapped nerve in my neck as well lol.

You’re falling apart. Those relaxed angles on the Summer Season won’t help your back/neck you know!

Hadge
    Free Member

Well if they don’t I’ve got a wish list in my head – so watch this space 😉

andyl46
    Free Member

Not quite 140mm, not a four bar, but I’m 16 stone and there’s nothing uber light on this. Strong enough for me, and it rides beautifully. 26 1/2 lbs acc to some park tool scales.

I reckon with stans rims, some XTR and X.0, less comfort and non lock on grips 25lbs is doable, but it’s just fine as it is.

genesis
    Free Member

Erm, how about an Orange st4?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Can I wave my willy then matt?

*unzips*

missinglink
    Free Member

i’ve got an XL Yeti 575 built up at 31pounds. its got sensible kit like Talas 36s, XT drivetrain and solid wheels. most of riding done in highlands with some big climbs and descents but as i’m 6ft 4in and 15stone i’m not that worried about getting it any lighter, am more conscious about keeping it strong for big mtn routes.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll join the weight talk then – my ’06 575 (alu rear) with Fox Vanilla 32s weighs a smidge over 27lbs. Can’t fault it. There is no other bike I want for all round riding. Maybe a heavier build would feel more stable on descents, but seeing as a large part of my riding involves riding up to ride down, I wouldn’t want anything heavier. The 30lb+ bikes I’ve ridden were a noticable drag climbing.

markd
    Free Member

i dont really care what my bikes weigh. its much more important they ride nice.

DezB
    Free Member

True, mine rides well nice.

markd
    Free Member

my zesty comes in at 32.4lbs – i only know this because i was curious as people ask me all the time what it weighs.

no idea about the other bikes.

weenie
    Free Member

Dougal where do you get your MSC bikes from in the UK? Really interested-who's the dealer then? That Koncept you've got is honeslty the nicest bike I've ever seen!

HendyTreker
    Free Member

My 914 Zesty comes in at around 26.5 lbs, standard apart from the Gobi carbon saddle which snapped after 6 weeks. Now replaced by a Charge spoon Ti. Oh and now has the ones instead of the original R1's. Rides really well on the ups and the downs, even with the crossmax SLR'S, but looking to get something a bit beefier to replace them.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

weenie,
    the local for dougal/me is i-cycles. in innerleithen (near peebles, scotland)

http://www.i-cycles.co.uk/

grantway
    Free Member

I thought about weights of bikes and lighter all day riding sounds great
    But when it comes down to it, il probaly be ending up with Three bikes
    in the back of me van.
    Your ultimate 140 always becomes a compromies

rolfharris
    Free Member

There are some really optimistic weights being claimed. My race bike is 24lbs with XT, SIDs and Stans Wheels. I'll admit that putting stans rims on a bike will save a ton of weight, as will full XTR but a lot of this is just a weight you wish your bike was, not what it actually is.

My Norco's going to be about 31lbs by the time I'm done lightening it up (getting rid of the DH tyres, lighter cranks) and it'll be wonderful.

kamina
    Free Member

I'm kind of in the same dilemma. Had my previous bike stolen from me and need a new one, would prefer it to be reasonably light.

Currently I'm mostly contemplating between an Intense Tracer VP / Spider 2 and a Chumba VF2. My previous bike was a Chumba XCL which is very close to the VF2 geometry, just heavier. Also Chumba heard the bike was stolen and promised a deal on the VF2 if I decide to go with them… But dispite loving it I also have an itch to try something else.

The same dealer also has Commencal, and I could get a meta 5.5.1 for close to the price of the Chumba / Intense frames!

Oh dear, decisions are difficult.

si-wilson
    Free Member

kamina, where are you located?

kamina
    Free Member

I'm in Finland.

si-wilson
    Free Member

ahh, ok.

Has Alan at Chumba sorted you out? If i can help out with a Chumba frame let me know 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Ultimate 140mm light-weight trail bike’ is closed to new replies.