Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ultegra SL brakes not returning
  • warton
    Free Member

I’ve noticed recently my front ultegra SL brake caliper doesn’t return to it’s starting position, clamping onto the wheel.
    Took advantage of the snow today to give the bike the once over and I can’t work out why it’s happening. I’ve isolated the problem to the caliper, but its clean and well lubed. If I do it manually it goes back fine, so has anyone got any ideas what might be causing it to stick?

cheers!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pivot bolt seized or too tight would be my guess.

crikey
    Free Member

They do stick sometimes, probably got wet, or washed, or gunged and not used for a bit. You can eithertake it all apart and unstick it, or just hose it down with WD 40 and work it by hand.

warton
    Free Member

cheers, I’ve oiled it and worked it, but still sticking, I’ll take it apart tonight and see whats what.

wors

Change the cable?

warton
    Free Member

wors, definitely not the cable. disconnected the caliper from the cable and it was still happening…

wors

Are the pads worn ? They tend to stick when they wear down.

large418
    Free Member

had the same on mine. One of the pivots will be tight, strip it, clean and grease and unless you have 3 hands, struggle like mad putting it back together. Once you’ve done the front the back will be easier.

warton
    Free Member

wors, pads are ok. Large, I’m gonna strip it tonight

doof_doof
    Free Member

Same thing happened to my SL rear, a full strip down/clean sorted it. Bit of a pig to put back together though with the spring tension.

timberjack
    Free Member

Get rid of the bike and get a mountain bike steve, you know you want to 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

If they were working fine they should be okay in the end.

The pads, are they hitting the rim square on? sometimes they wear over the edge of the rim and catch. If they ‘spring’ back when given a bit of help it could be that. Don’t over tighten, I think that’s the main problem with STW builders.

Edit, I’d avoid stripping down at all costs. They do very little mechanical work and as yours can be persuaded back I’d just remove them and lube them and put them through the motions off the bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra SL brakes not returning’ is closed to new replies.