Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ultegra R8000
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Here…

Shimano Ultegra R8000 picks up mechanical, Di2 & disc brake Dura-Ace tech

Gets a bit of a DA look to it (including the fugly rear mech) and sheds a few grams. Nothing to get too excited about.

scotroutes

HG800 11-34 cassette is an interesting option for MTB 2x setups if you don’t like the wide spacing inherent in the wider range cassettes.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Bit surprising they haven’t included a subcompact chainset

chakaping
    Free Member

Agree it’s a bit underwhelming.

I prefer grey, this looks too MTBish now.

matts
    Free Member

and sheds a few grams

Sort of… mech groupset without wheels is actually heavier than the previous gen. 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Interested to see what they’ve done with the carbon laminated wheels though. Big fan of the RS81s.

oafishb
    Free Member

I’ve always felt the font of Ultegra could do with an update 😕
    Very 80’s.

Apart from that. Yeh, ok.
    I’m still running 6700 from 8 years ago. Might be time to upgrade 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Agreed needs a sub compact option surely

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Unless they have plans for an adventure grouppo

njee20
    Free Member

I miss the Garmin buttons on my RS785 STIs, may have to change, like the idea of more tactile buttons too. Quite meh otherwise. Really dislike the look of the chainset.

jackaldon81
    Free Member

Hope they iron out the front mech mechanics for the cable version. Too much tension required- setup was a pain.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Agreed needs a sub compact option surely

THey’ve got a CX one.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

36/46 on the cx – needs 30/46

cyclistm
    Free Member

that rear mech is hateful looking. is it designed to allow a wider range?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it’s a meh from me, but then I think the new Dura Ace is fugly too.

And the crankset

shedding 2g

😆

Shimano have always under-rated their components capacity too, the cynic would suggest so they can upsell and provide room to ‘upgrade’ in the future. My aging 10spd 6700 short cage mech works perfectly with a 30T cassette, the brake calipers happily clear 28mm tyres, and I’ve set up Munqe-Chick’s 5800 short cage to work perfectly with a 32T cassette (and in fact that’s how Bikepoint Tenerife set up their rental bikes – my Focus Cayo Ultegra came with short cage and a 32).

chakaping
    Free Member

You missed that the stack height on the pedal is reduced by a whopping 0.7mm.

that rear mech is hateful looking. is it designed to allow a wider range?

It suggests it’s to handle up to 34t rear.

ferrals
    Free Member

That crankset is ming-tastic!

atlaz
    Free Member

Seems they’ve got rid of barrel adjusters on the mechanical group and moved it to an allen key. So no more stopping and tweaking or even tweaking while you ride, you’ll need to get a tool out. Seems a pointless change.

matts
    Free Member

They mean the inline adjusters in the cables. You can see in the shots that the rear mech still has an adjuster at the cable entry point.

And you can still fit your own inline adjusters if you want, it’s just that the set doesn’t come with them.

peteimpreza

“Hope they iron out the front mech mechanics for the cable version. Too much tension required- setup was a pain.”

The current ones are awful. Done deliberately to encourage a move to Di2 ?

TiRed

I’m still running 6700 from 8 years ago. Might be time to upgrade

Still running 6600 on my winter bike. It shifts better than the 6800 on my race bike, that shifts better than 6700 on my old race bike (6700 really was poor).

I doubt it will shift better than 6600. Hidden cables was a retrograde step. Move along please, nothing to see here…

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve only just gone from 7800 to 6700, I agree the external cables were better, although the 11 speed groupsets are pretty good. 6700 and 7900 were terrible though!

oafishb
    Free Member

Still running 6600 on my winter bike. It shifts better than the 6800 on my race bike, that shifts better than 6700 on my old race bike (6700 really was poor).

I totally agree – but here’s a question for you:

Is Dura Ace 7900 better than Ultegra 6800?
    I know ‘better’ is hard to quantify…but, y’know…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is Dura Ace 7900 better than Ultegra 6800?

Of course not, Dura Ace is never much better than Ultegra anyway, never mind a groupset that must be nearly 10 years old!

I think that new stuff looks a bit minging, as did the last iteration, and the one before. Can’t beat the 10 speed stuff IMO.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra R8000’ is closed to new replies.