Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • (Ultegra) Di2 issues
  • singletracksurfer

Bought a 2nd hand cx bike off here with this fitted and basically it ain’t working.

When I met the seller he said he hadn’t charged it (and would see me right if anything was duff, like the battery, but alas he hasn’t replied to any of my emails) 👿

The rear mech sometimes works for a bit, but the front not at all, which sounds like the ‘limp home’ mode, for when the battery is nearly dead. Should the green light on the gubbins box stay on when charging, or in use? (it sometimes comes on but only for a second).

Man I wish I’d stayed old school. At least you could work out what or where it was going wrong. Thus is just infuriating.

Thanks.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

The only way to find out what’s going on is to run a diagnostic check using the correct e-tube software.
    Which Di2 is it? I’ve only ever experienced one problem & that’s with an external battery mount.
    The green light is the battery indicator, but will only show when you press both shift paddles at the same time on the R/H shifter to give the reading, otherwise is should be blank.

singletracksurfer

Thanks. Should the light stay on (green) when both levers are held? It does for a second, then goes off.

I had a quick look for the software but looks like you gotta pay (nearly £200) for it and the box, is that right?

It’s the old/original version I assume.

Cheers

sillyoldman

Bike shop should be able to run diagnostics and update firmware quickly and easily. Diagnostics will determine if there’s a fault with any component, but you may well find that updating firmware on all components sorts the problem.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Some of the 1st generation 10 speed stuff is now un-available as spare parts.

Sold out and not supported anymore

sillyoldman

The 6770 parts like rear mechs that were gold dust for a while were put back into production due to understandable demand. Due in with Madison in Spring.

eshershore
    Free Member

Cable may be disconnected to front mech where the lower junction box sits inside down tube. Take it someone familiar with di2 and who has diagnostic kit. If you’re in London come see me at Giant Docklands I’ve down 100+ custom builds using di2 and too many repairs to mention so can advise/sort very quickly

singletracksurfer

Sorry meant it’s the first 11 speed one, I assume (6870).

Will take it down to the bike shop then (closed tomorrow though) and see what the computer says then.

Definitely seems like the battery is stuffed. Hope it’s just that.

eshershore
    Free Member

Are you using the same usb port on your PC/phone charger to charge the battery off? I’ve had this with PCs in workshop where 1 port cannot supply adequate power to the charger and the battery won’t charge properly. We’ve then plugged the shimano charger into a different USB port on the PC and its good…

singletracksurfer

Tried different charging ports, methods etc but good to know. Thanks.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

You don’t need to take to the shop if you have an internal battery, just download etube software and connect via PC/battery charger to bike. Friend cleared similar issues with etube software.

eshershore
    Free Member

You can do firmware update and charging with the USB module on internal battery but for diagnostic and function reprogramming you need the pce1 kit

Firmware update can solve many problems especially if previous owner for example broke rear mech, bought new one on-line and installed at home without doing updates

singletracksurfer

Connections all seem ok.
    Will go and look for the etube software, thanks.

singletracksurfer

Hmm, tried the software last night, which seemed to be going ok, but it won’t complete it due to some connectivity issue with something. Bike shop it is then.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘(Ultegra) Di2 issues’ is closed to new replies.