Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ultegra 6700 and RS80 wheelsets
  • meandyuk

Hi,

I have both of these wheelsets (the ultegras bought 2nd hand from here) and although they are a noticeable improvement over the alexrims wheelset I had I can’t help be a little disappointed with their performance.

The ultegra rear freehub doesn’t appear to spin all that freely – both wheelsets have the same hubs, so I’m wondering if they are easy to self service?
    I’m also noticing that they a quite noisey on the road, especially the RS80’s – so I’m thinking the spokes could be loose too?

Cheers
    Andy

RealMan
    Free Member

Got RS80s, they spin very well. As near to silent as any wheel set I’ve had as well. What sort of noise are they making? And what do you mean “that freely”? Could the brakes be rubbing?

meandyuk

They just rattle a lot when moving, might be the roads up here in Leeds (they are pretty sh*te).

As for the hubs on the 6700, the front hub is fine, it’s the rear that is making a kind of rubbing noise, even when removed from the bike…. and there seems to be friction before it stops rotating completely…. I guess I’d like to know when a hub needs a service…

My RS80’s are also quite out of true now after about 300miles use.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Campag bullet ultra 50 with cult bearings… Job done.

Those babies just roll and roll and roll and roll………………… Not cheap mind.

Jase
    Free Member

Very easy to service, bearings cost a few pound.

I did my RS80’s after 2 summers use and was surprised how ‘clean’ the bearings were.

crazybaboon

I’ve got 2 pairs of ultegra and a pair of rs80 c50, the ultegra are over 2 years old and get used for road and cross always run tubeless, all are running smooth, suggest you get them into a decent shop and get them serviced and true up

meandyuk

Cheers. Jase, is there a guide to servicing them anywhere? I did a google but it seems for generic shimano hubs?

Jase
    Free Member

From memory they are the same, remove the locking nuts from one side and remove the bearings.

Take a look at the park tool site which has a good tutorial.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra 6700 and RS80 wheelsets’ is closed to new replies.