Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ullock Pike – best route?
  • wl
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good route for Ullock Pike starting from Keswick? Looking for the best riding possible (good descents including techy stuff), routes between 4 and 6 hours. Happy to push and carry. Thanks all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you mean the footpath and popular walking route?

boxelder

There are no bridleways on Ullock Pike. BW to top of Skiddaw though, then if you accidentally turned right on the way down, you might end up there. I suppose some bikers may have done that in erroor once or twice.

jekkyl

the route i had planned was out of keswick on the old railway path to threlkeld and up the side of blencathra past the visitors centre then traverse over and down and ride lonscale fell and then push (ride if you can, you’re a better man than me) up skiddaw, the front path starts at the carpark, then down to ullock and then cycle roudn to the front and you can still do the nice n fast descent back to keswick for pie n pints. Or much simpler just ride straight up to skiddaw from keswick.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Ride, i mean walk, out of Threlkeld; head up Blease Rd and follow your nose/signposts to the top of Skiddaw expect to push a fair bit. enjoy the summit then go down Ullock Pike and across Longside Edge down towards Bassenthwaite. do well to find a better descent than that anywhere! then return round the back of skiddaw past Dash Falls to Threlkeld.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

then cycle roudn to the front and you can still do the nice n fast descent back to keswick for pie n pints.

PMSL at the nice and fast run home 🙂

jekkyl

well it is from the carpark Mike, over the water bars and then eventually the bridge, what did you think I meant?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s a big ride, the road is a pain on the way home and don’t do it in daylight it’s cheating. Certainly don’t do it on a weekend….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shh!

It’s a convention that U.P. is unmentionable on here.

munrobiker
    Free Member

When I do it I go up the bridleway, then first right down the scree slope.

Then head down to just above the 250m contour where you take the footpath on the left to the Ravenstone hotel. Then ride up Long Side through the wood to Carsleddam then down the footpath to Millbeck, then back along the road. A very satisfying route.

Last time I did it was on a sunny Saturday early evening on a bank holiday weekend and we were universally welcomed.

Trekster

Probably find it on Strava, what my work colleague is doing tomorrow 🙄
    Only been biking a few months and he has already become an expert on Lakes routes,phone maps & downloading Strava routes ❗

chakaping
    Free Member

my work colleague is doing tomorrow… Only been biking a few months

Jesus, let us know how that goes!

And tell him to wear some shoes he’ll be comfortable walking in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ullock Pike – best route?’ is closed to new replies.