• This topic has 26 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by wors.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ullock Pike
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ullock Pike on a hardtail (with 150mm forks)
    yay or nay?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

footpath, lakes, summer? Will be busy I’d make sure you have a bell

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be a problem, You’re used to riding the lakes. The only really steep bit is coming down the scree Path off skiddaw.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not planning in the immediate future.
    (Edit: but before the year’s out!)

Just wondering if anyone’s ridden it on a hardtail? I’ve walked it, seen the vids and pics and no dobt an full-bounce bike would help. But my full-bounce bike only has 80mm travel and 1 gear, so less use in the mountains than my hardtail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s been done on anything and everything. It’s cheating if you do it in the daylight though.

d45yth
    Free Member

Just do it in the evening. You’ll be fine on your hardtail too…it’s not as rocky as a lot of other Lakes descents.

wors

I did it on a blue pig last year, was absolutely fine.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yes, absolutely fine on a hardtail.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Splendid. Sorted then.
    Get this silly road-ride thing out of the way, quick holiday in france to recover, then finally get up some mountains (just as the weather goes wet and miserable no doubt)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its quite technical in places and I will be surprised [ and in awe] if you clean it all whatever bike you take

Personally think it is a proper mountain [ certainly for here] so i would take my FS

Dont try it with a 160 mm front brake it would not stop all 10 stone of me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only 1 section unridden for me and most, the big bit has been done by a few.

(just as the weather goes wet and miserable no doubt)

Depending on how your head for heights is, it can be better not to see the valley.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

only 1 section unridden for me and most

which bit?

Sanny
    Free Member

The unridden bit that Mike refers too has become quite a bit more washed out since I first rode it. If it is the same bit, it’s right hand steep drop where I had to do a bit of hopping to manhandle the bike down it. I got past the hard bit then promptly hooked up and failed on the easy bit at the bottom. Garr! I last rode it in October on a fine sunny day and the trail had definitely become a bit more washed out in places.

Great ride, any bike will do as long as your brakes are good I reckon.

If you do it, climb back up on the fireroad and do the steep Doups descent. It’s silly steep but fun and 100% rideable if you are happy on steep stuff. It makes me giggle every time I ride it.

Oh and there are two scree lines off of Skiddaw. Both are excellent! The second one is parallel with the main path but not so obvious.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was referring to the slab/face with a gully cut around to the left. Washout is a big issue on some of the bits up there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the big bit has been done by a few.

Aye and I am impressed by you all

Not seen anyone attempt it yet but heard it can be ridden [ not a dig I am sure it can]

jairaj

never heard of thsi before. Just did a search on you tube 😯 looks freaking awesome!!!

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Rode Ullock last year and can confirm it’s awesomeness!

A couple of the lads i was with were on hardtails with only 100mm forks and were able to ride all but a couple of short sections (the same sections i couldn’t ride on my FS).

I’m sure you’ll love it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Please be very aware that it’s a footpath in the National Park and a very popular walking route. Get the timing wrong and it will be rubbish. Not trying to labour the point but it’s a cheeky route so respect the fact.

d45yth
    Free Member

To add to the last comment…for those of you thinking I ride footpaths all the time, who cares if there are walkers about. There are certain sections which would be dangerous if you met anyone, especially the first part off Skiddaw.

Sanny
    Free Member

The tricky bit was ridden by my mate Pete on his Giant DH bike. He nailed it after a couple of attempts in good style. I was mightily impressed!

Mike

That’s the very bit I mean! It was super washed out the last time I rode it.

To be fair, it’s noticeably quieter than the main path up but a wee bit of common sense and stopping for walkers is no bad thing. No point in scaring folk.

Sanny
    Free Member

The tricky bit was ridden by my mate Pete on his Giant DH bike. He nailed it after a couple of attempts in good style. I was mightily impressed!

Mike

That’s the very bit I mean! It was super washed out the last time I rode it.

To be fair, it’s noticeably quieter than the main path up but a wee bit of common sense and stopping for walkers is no bad thing. No point in scaring folk.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s part of a big loop doing Skiddaw, it’s very popular. In reality it’s not a bike route, people do ride this stuff but not in the daytime, I know it’s a contentious issue but respect the local environment.

stoney
    Free Member

I have got down “That Bit” twice, On One Ti 456 140 Floats. 😀 Also cleared the climb up Jenkin Hill twice (4 years ago now) same bike…..

I`d personaly leave it till the evening. We usually set off about 3ish and most of the folk are coming down by then anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

always showing off Stoney……

stoney
    Free Member

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

didn’t see you leaping into the pond though!

wors

It’s part of a big loop doing Skiddaw, it’s very popular. In reality it’s not a bike route, people do ride this stuff but not in the daytime, I know it’s a contentious issue but respect the local environment.

The walkers applauded us when we reached the summit 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ullock Pike’ is closed to new replies.