Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ukraine – Does anyone care?
  • SaxonRider

Sorry if this has been covered, but I have been away for a while.

Considering the scope of developments in Ukraine, and the fact that the protests are about issues that probably matter to most of us, I am wondering if what is going on there is on any of your radar.

If so, what are your thoughts?

If not, why not?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just a bit of easy info for those unaware.

Click to make bigger.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s bad, yes – how would it be evident to you from activity on here whether folk care?

Hopefully they will get with the EU and stick 2 fingers up to Putin.

derek_starship
    Free Member

My colleague is. He has family there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have ukraine national friends in the ukraine-

luckily they have moved out of kiev as they saw this coming.

now living in poltava- doesnt mean they are immune to the effects but it does mean currently they are a bit safer.

tbh when i was there – i did wonder why this hadnt happened sooner tbh.

MSP

Are not most of the “offences” in that poster also offences in the UK and most western nations?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, been following it. Seems like a pretty straight up fight between the forces of good’n’evil to me

SaxonRider

cynic-al – Member

It’s bad, yes – how would it be evident to you from activity on here whether folk care?

Huh? I’m not suggesting it would be evident. I’m asking if people care.

footflaps

Yep, been following it. Seems like a pretty straight up fight between the forces of good’n’evil to me

Did someone mention forces of evil?

Where are George ‘Dubya’ Bush and Tony ‘kill all the towel heads’ Blair when you need them?

DezB
    Free Member

If not, why not?

Er, I just don’t.

traildog
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty straight up fight between the forces of good’n’evil to me

Eh? Please tell me that’s a joke?

Following it as my Sister in law is Ukrainian. It’s a very split country.

ononeorange

They seem to be on the same course as the UK. Theresa will love some of these rules.

I understand that a “group” of more than 2 people congregating is illegal there now.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I find it bizarre that anyone would agitate so strongly for closer ties to the EU.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I spotted this link – well worth a look at what’s going on from a different perspective

jools182
    Free Member

Yes, I care for a number of reasons

IanW
    Free Member

People v Authoratarion state and not that far away, seems worth caring about.

Pigface
    Free Member

Tymeshenko is a crook, current leader is a crook the people aren’t stupid. The Western side of the country want to go with the E.U. the Eastern side want to go back to communist Russia. All a big mess.

Explained to us yesterday by a Ukranian

andrewh
    Free Member

I care. I met a lovely young lady from Kiev on my travels and it was interesting to hear about these things from someone who lives there, still get the occasional update, she has been in the protests in Independence Square.

ohnohesback – Member

I find it bizarre that anyone would agitate so strongly for closer ties to the EU.

Posted 55 minutes ago # Report-Post
    Seems odd to us, as one of the richer nations of the EU and a country with trading partners outside of the EU we appear to get all of the costs of membership with very few of the benefits, leaving would make sense for us.
    However, for a poorer nation such as Ukraine, especially one who has very big powerful neighbour who isn’t afraid to wield influence, joining makes a lot of sense.
    I am surprised just how little media coverage it is getting over here, I can easily see this developing into a proxy battle between the EU and Russia. Russia has lost a lot of influence over former eastern block countries, especially those already in the EU, but now it is getting stronger and more authoritarian it is keen to halt this. I’m not saying they will do in Ukraine what they did in Georgia but you never know.
    Trouble is, as someone said above, the people there have the choice between one bunch of crooks and another bunch of crooks.

kimbers

ohnohesback – Member

because despite the nonsense spouted by farage and his ilk the EU has been very good for the UK- still our largest trading partner by a long way and makes a much greater effort to protect consumer and working rights than our own government.
    Putins russsia on the other hand is pretty much the opposite of that!

wwaswas

From what I’ve been reading a lot of the protestors are members of far right groups. This is one fo the people who died;

he belonged to a group who’ve been fightign Russian forces in Chechenya and other ex soviet states;

I think to put it purely as a pro-EU/pro-Russia issue is over simplifying the situation.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

seems a lot of murkiness going down –genuine protests hi-jacked by the far right who have lots to gain–the left must be involved, but don’t expect any ‘media’ darlings to mention it…

footflaps

the EU has been very good for the UK- still our largest trading partner by a long way and makes a much greater effort to protect consumer and working rights than our own government.

+1

shermer75
    Free Member

Eh? Please tell me that’s a joke?

It was a little tongue in cheek, yes. On the other hand, the more I read about Viktor Yanukovych the less I like him.

piemonster

Bit of a climb down by the government reported this morning

SaxonRider

Sorry for resurrecting this, but I found this article by a Ukrainian journalist that sums everything up beautifully.

Watch the second to last video embedded in the article as well.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ukraine – Does anyone care?’ is closed to new replies.