Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • UKPC PARKING FINE,little wife in tears
  • poppydiamond
    Free Member

‘little wife in tears’? With a description that derogatory I’m surprised she’s not in tears all the time! That is all!

hmanchester
    Free Member

Sticking up for the girlies Poppy? Bless you petal.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

My god, really? I’m with poppydiamond on this one. such bullying language to complain about someone else’s bullying langauage is pretty dispicable.

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’m not sure the OP was being serious and I definitely wasn’t.

I’m not sure whether you’re playing along or not getting it MrK?!

edit: Also, don’t pay the fine. They’re only interested in suckers paying up quickly and have no ability or desire to chase beyond a succession of letters.

teasel
    Free Member

I wish I was able to infer such amazing revelations about Costello’s life (and wife) from just one word.

Truly amazing gift you two seem to possess…

piemonster

Someone on the internerd said this

According to the BPA figures, and we know they never lie, there were 1.8 million private tickets issued in 2011, of which approx. 31% went unpaid, so that’s about 550,000.

As only 845 resulted in court claims, and only 49 of those actually reached court, you don’t have to be Rachel Riley to work out the odds of anything happening if you ignore them.

On the internerd so FACT

aracer
    Free Member

As it happens I have a client who has a number of car parks and they are plagued by people parking and not paying

Well that explains a lot. Is it really a plague, or does your client actually make more money out of “fining” people than from the normal parking charges (as is generally the case with the pay&display/fine business model)? How do you feel about “fining” somebody 1,000 times the cost of buying a ticket for the overstay when they’ve only overstayed for 15 minutes?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We own a property which includes in the deed a private off road parking plot outside. We also pay business rates to the local council for the property including the plot of land for parking outside (I guess it increases the rateable value).
    I’m with partyboy, I’ll park on your private driveway and see how you like it.

Doesn’t really matter if it’s owned or rented IMO, The owner/tennent will be paying for the privilege thru business rates and/or rents. You just take the p1ss.

piemonster

You appear to have not read the OP

He was parked in a retail park, not someone’s driveway.

piemonster

To be fair, I think there could be a place for private parking companies.

But they need policing, and not by themselves. Too many of them are a bunch of pirates with no interest in parking management, just bullying money out of people.

piemonster

i’ve read that because the fine is on private land it is unenforceable

While we are at it. Isn’t the above more strictly related to third parties trying to enforce charges.

The land owner has a right to form a contract, but not a parking company operating on someone else’s land?

What would be a valid estimation of losses is another matter again.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

He was parked in a retail park, not someone’s driveway.

I know and doesn’t matter, it’s still private land that someone owns or is paying for one way or another. Parking on someone’s private driveway was an example of how is should be viewed by you/us.
    It does need better guidelines/laws, rather than just seen as a civil issue. landowner should be protected equally tho.

piemonster

It does matter, as the locations have very different intended uses.

aracer
    Free Member

Parking on someone’s private driveway was an example of how is should be viewed by you/us.

No – it’s a strawman. You might as well suggest riding through somebody’s garden is the same as riding cheeky trails in the woods.

It does need better guidelines/laws, rather than just seen as a civil issue.

You’re suggesting criminalising people parking on private land? 😯

piemonster

Free parking in retail parks is there to generate revenue through custom.

Free parking on someone’s driveway is there to generate animosity.

spando
    Free Member

Don’t pay. They will go away however in the unlikely event they took you to court you could challenge the signage as it should be up to “red hand standard” which states that there should be very clear signs throughout the car park that would be impossible to not notice.

Then if that failed you could go down the road of proving that the fine is out of proportion to the business they would likely have lost due to your parking.

But seriously don’t even respond, they will go away. Also you could take them to court for harassment if they go too far.

Good Luck

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If there are still any shops open near the carpark in question it might be worth letting them know and they can warn their customers or whinge at the parking company. If the landowners really don’t want people using the spaces – that’s what pallisade fences are for.

CountZero

I know and doesn’t matter, it’s still private land that someone owns or is paying for one way or another. Parking on someone’s private driveway was an example of how is should be viewed by you/us.
    It does need better guidelines/laws, rather than just seen as a civil issue. landowner should be protected equally tho.

Of course it matters! It’s up to the landowner to put up clear signage, and pay points, if they want to continue to raise revenue, not some third-party with no real legal powers, just threats and dodgy ‘fines/invoices’

emma82
    Free Member

‘little wife in tears’? With a description that derogatory I’m surprised she’s not in tears all the time! That is all!

Don’t be so quick to judge, how do you know that he doesn’t have a ‘big’ wife and a ‘medium’ wife tucked away who haven’t had the upset of a parking fine?! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

It the quiet wife we are all looking for 😉

chief9000
    Free Member

A very simple solution to such situations….

but i suppose i could pay 90p hour at the council c.p

90p? is that to much to ask to park? sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Personally I couldn’t be bothered to drive around looking for alternatives to avoid the 90p parking charge.

Next time pay the 90p, be happy that you have done the right thing. Then you will avoid getting letters and “poor little wifey” being in tears in the first place.

joeegg
    Free Member

I have a small car park that is used by employees and customers of a couple of retail premises i let out.
    I get sick of people parking in my car park,which i pay for and maintain,then toddling off to the local post office or next door to the doctors surgery ( which has a large car park but my parking is nearer the entrance).
    Sign’s,threatening or polite,make no difference at all because some people believe they have a right to park where they want.Its not worth me policing it and i’ve had big problems in the past with lack of parking spaces for the employees.
    Its also parking across the entrance to the car park and on the pedestrian crossing in front of my property.

piemonster

joe, I honestly sympathize. Which I why the industry needs a genuine watchdog, and one with teeth.

Most of the complaints that get raised about private parking companies aren’t about people getting nabbed for parking in driveways and employees car parks. People who do such things are nobbers. The complaints come from people being charged £120+ for having a wheel on a white line, or overstaying in a retail car park by 15 minutes, or poorly displayed permits when parked exactly where you are supposed to be parked.

Too many cowboys out there, and no one reeling them in.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Dear Costello
    May I ask, is your “little wife” actually physically smaller than an average wife?
    Or is it a term you use for wives of all sizes?

CountZero

aye-aye – Member
    Dear Costello
    May I ask, is your “little wife” actually physically smaller than an average wife?
    Or is it a term you use for wives of all sizes?

She’s not your wife, so why do you care? It matters not in the slightest to me, as she’s not connected to me in any way. Are you one of those people who likes to get all offended on behalf of others, by any chance?

aye-aye
    Free Member

What size is your wife/husband?

piemonster

Dunno about CZ’s partner. But my girlfriend is 5 foot 2, this makes her quite little. Relative to me.

Is this ok with you?

Seems quite strange you’d be interested but hey ho.

brodie
    Free Member

We got out of one at work by just denying that we owned the van.

CountZero

aye-aye – Member
    What size is your wife/husband?

Are you asking me? Not relevant. As it happens, I don’t have a significant other, but all my previous g/f’s have been shorter than me, but then I’m 6′.
    But as I say, it’s not relevant, as we’re talking about the OP.

zokes
    Free Member

If it’s any help to this little sub-plot of trying very hard to be offended on someone else’s behalf, my little wife is 5’2″ – her nickname is actually Little Bear. Should I go and tell her to be offended because some handwringer on STW has their nappy in a twist?

CountZero

Well said, zokes.

CountZero

Aye-aye, upset on someone else’s behalf, yesterday!

aye-aye
    Free Member

That’s not me.
    That’s my little wife.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If it’s any help to this little sub-plot of trying very hard to be offended on someone else’s behalf, my little wife is 5’2″ – her nickname is actually Little Bear. Should I go and tell her to be offended because some handwringer on STW has their nappy in a twist?

I’ve ssen pics of your wife, Zokes. She’s more than little bare

zokes
    Free Member

*Slow hand clap*

😉

littlei
    Free Member

To the OP – don’t pay it, it will blow over. Been there, done that, it disappeared eventually.

Re the subplot/’little wife’ saga:

The OP’s use of words did strike me as definitely quite strange and possibly indicative of some 1950’s attitude to ‘the little woman indoors’ and all that.

But there’s absolutely nothing wrong with someone being offended on behalf of someone else. Especially when the ‘someone else’ does not have a voice in the current discussion. Even if the person it originally referred to was not offended – this does not preclude other people being offended by a certain use of language. It may not be cause for huge moral outrage (which no one has really expressed here anyway) but if someone finds that use of language odd or offensive in some way that’s their perogative. Why would anyone else have a problem with this? If no one ever spoke about about the things they find offensive or troubling then a lot of important developments would never have taken place.

Plus, speaking up gives the OP a chance to explain themselves and we all learn a valuable lesson about communication.

teasel
    Free Member

there’s absolutely nothing wrong with someone being offended on behalf of someone else

In that case, I’m offended (on behalf of Costello) at words like bullying and dispicable being thrown around due to one little word being taken out of context or being blown out of all proportion.

Plus, speaking up gives the OP a chance to explain themselves and we all learn a valuable lesson about communication.

Maybe we all will, but it’s more likely we’ll learn how many folk have a chip on their shoulder or unresolved issues they need to deal with.

DrJ

Someone said somethng about …

Rachel Riley

At that point I lost interest in parking fines.

Gary_C

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘UKPC PARKING FINE,little wife in tears’ is closed to new replies.