Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 209 total)
  • UKIP in balanced & reasoned argument shocker
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

actually not really

A UKIP politician has been captured on film saying British aid should not be sent to “bongo bongo land”.

MEP Godfrey Bloom was recorded telling a meeting of supporters aid was spent on things like sunglasses and Ferraris.

and just in case you wondered

they found the best photo for the article…
    Link from BBC

stewartc
    Free Member

He is right, it would be madness, Bongo Bongo land doesn’t exist other than in the mind of the average UKIP voter and Jim Davidson, how could you even send money there?

sc-xc

cheez0
    Free Member

What he said doesnt seem very different from the rest of the bullshit polititians spout.

mt
    Free Member

Well that should make him quite popular with some voters.

totalshell

shock horror politian says what majority of folks who might vote for him think…

just because its not politically polite doesnt mean its not a valid debate.

matt_outandabout

Do they have fracking in bongobongo land? I heard it is a desolate wasteland with no-one living there…

crankboy
    Free Member

Is bongo bongo land near here it must have good roads and nice weather if they spend all our aid on sunglasses and Ferraris . It must also have a thriving economy otherwise they would spend our aid on food and medicine and infrastructure. I wonder what their immigration policy is like ?

kimbers

what is really depressing is that someone so obviously stupid was elected even to the european parliament (which no one is that bothered about- apart from ukippers)

piemonster

The BBC thoughtfully provides a little video showing where bongo bongo land is

Perhaps the fella should watch it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22297260

saxabar
    Free Member

What I find most disappointing in this is what I presume is the willful nonrecognition of what public aid is. Yes, there may be some “generosity” involved but it is also a cheaper and more productive means of promoting non-warring values, stability and democratic values (some call it soft power and a way of reducing military spending). All politicians know this, unless Bloom really is a feckless, dim-witted, ***king misleading moron.

piemonster

All politicians know this, unless Bloom really is a feckless, dim-witted, ***king misleading moron.

From what you say, he is either a moron. Or deliberately misleading voters by playing an emotive issue for his own benefit.

I can’t imagine a politician either being (a) stupid or (b) deceitful 🙄

mt
    Free Member

How do you Bongo Bongo land? What’s the name of the capital? Will the BBC know?

scaredypants

Odd; just this morning I received an email telling me that I’ve won the Bongo Bongo Bingo – it’s more of a lottery apparently but they like the name.

Only need to stump up the release fee and I’ll be minted

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How do you Bongo Bongo land? What’s the name of the capital? Will the BBC know?

More to the point, what is the size of the place? Compared to Wales, obv.

binners

I presumed he meant this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYj5o4kQsXs[/video]

I think the fact that he defended his stance as ‘the things really talk about in the Golf Club’ points clearly to his target audience. Its probably safe to assume its one of the golf clubs that still doesn’t admit women 🙄

mt
    Free Member

According to some from the Labour Party on the BBC in the last few minutes its Africa or Ghana. Now call me a bit thick but the party with most lose against UKIP is the Tories, it’s has even been reported that they need undermine in the voters minds as idiots. Why are Labour helping, does there vote have similar views on aid for sunglasses purchases.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

totalshell – Member

I think it’s fair to say that it isn’t a very “balanced & reasoned argument”, which is the point the OP is making.

Are you a UKIP voter btw ?

convert

For me the sad thing is that there is a reasonable debate to be had about how much, how efficiently and where we spend our foreign aid. There should always be about everything we spend the public purse on. But with an asshat like this getting himself involved with deliberately inflammatory and misleading language and it’s almost impossible to have that debate and challenge the status quo without sounding like you are siding with this cock.

Depressingly I can hear my in-laws nodding in agreement and regurgitating his ‘views’ back to me when I next have the pleasure of their company.

saxabar
    Free Member

Indeed – if you have sympathy for his argument can you explain the merits of what he is saying? (Genuinely up for a debate, not an ad hominem hang the UKIP supporter witch-hunt)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From being the one that posted it, I think everything should be up for debate. Nothing should be off limits really – with that comes some responsibility that if you want to debate or take on these issues you should take some time to educate yourself on the subject.

Garry_Lager

He got a very easy ride on the Today program this morning – obv they thought he was an imbecile and that most people listening would too –
    not convinced the ‘give him enough rope’ approach is the right one in general though for Godfrey Bloom.

DezB
    Free Member

I think this bloke has been laboratory developed just to be discussed on STW.

convert

He got a very easy ride on the Today program this morning – obv they thought he was an imbecile and that most people listening would to –
    not convinced the ‘give him enough rope’ approach is the right one in general though for Godfrey Bloom.

I thought that too given the hard time they normally give politicians of any persuasion. It was almost like he was so far off the page of logical and intelligent argument he was there for freak show entertainment rather than to be challenged. It was like listening to Down the Line!

binners

From what he was saying on the radio this morning, its OK to give ‘aid’ to Bongo Bongo land, or anywhere else, if they then spend their ‘aid’ on British made tanks and guns. However, recently they’ve been buying French fighter jets instead. Which just isn’t on!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He got a very easy ride on the Today program this morning

Aye, thought so too. Was shouting at Naughtie to go for him. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Which bit of this is particularly newsworthy? So a UKIP politician is given some rope and he hangs himself metaphorically.

It must be summer for this nonsense to make front pages and the Today program. Still I suppose the next round of the normal summer Euro crises is being held under wraps until Frau Merkel’s election, so we need to find something else to fill the holiday pages/airwaves.

Binners,, do you reckon that any of the equally crazy UKIP female members say the same things in their ladies-only golf clubs? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ladies-only golf clubs?

Have you seen the tournament trophies they give out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which bit of this is particularly newsworthy? So a UKIP politician is given some rope and he hangs himself metaphorically.

It’s part of the role of the media to show what our elected officials think and challenge their views. If you happen to live somewhere that he represents it may be nice to know what sort of person you elected. It might impact how you vote next time.

marcus7
    Free Member

He came across as a complete arse this morning, i thought he may tone down his views just a little but in he actually toned them up!. i think the interviewer was so suprised by his stance that he didn’t know where to go. Humf would have given him a harder time i reckon. the problem is of course people will start to agree with him if there is no counter to his argument and for that the BBC should be ashamed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mike, I was joking! The beauty of free speech is that fools are given the opportunity to condemn themselves out of their own mouths. This guy is doing it in spades. But why the surprise and is it really headline news? Sadly IMO, the people who elected him probably knew his views!!!

That is quite some trophy and did she know what she was doing with that photo opp Flashy?

thepurist

Perhaps the poor UKIP chap was incensed by Berlusconi, and actually wanted to stop aid going to Bunga Bunga land, where Flashy’s golf tournament is apparently held.

DezB
    Free Member

Did you lot miss this bit?

“Godfrey Bloom said his comments would “probably double my vote in the north of England“”

What is he saying about northerners?

mt
    Free Member

We are all amused by idiots and can see past this twerp to the point he was failing to make. He did well on the BBC this morning considering.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Do they drink Um Bongo in Bongobongo land, or do the just drink it in the Congo?

grum
    Free Member

What I find most disappointing in this is what I presume is the willful nonrecognition of what public aid is. Yes, there may be some “generosity” involved but it is also a cheaper and more productive means of promoting non-warring values, stability and democratic values (some call it soft power and a way of reducing military spending). All politicians know this, unless Bloom really is a feckless, dim-witted, ***king misleading moron.

I’d say that’s a heart-warningly generous way of looking at it. It’s mostly just an instrument for achieving our strategic objectives (‘resource security’ etc), which may or may not have the added bonus of promoting democratic values.

binners

“Godfrey Bloom said his comments would “probably double my vote in the north of England””

At the last election 2 people in the north of England voted UKIP. Since then Beryll and Tom have retired and relocated from Sussex to North Yorkshire, and in doing so doubled the UKIP voter base in the north

Junkyard
    Free Member

Loved his man of the people line and reasoning on Radio 4 this morning and yes he got an easy ride but I think because the interviewer was stuggling not to laugh or just say WTF to him.

How is that posh folk like him and farage manage to constantly play this speaking for the ordinary man [ they always say man as they are not PC ****] whilst being as posh as posh can be and without any hint of irony., the UKIP man of the people routine is a ridiculous lie.

FWIW his accent did not sound very Yorkshire either and I doubt he woul dwant johnny foreigner speaking for him 😉

Bloom was born in London and educated at St Olave’s Grammar School.[2]

His father was a Squadron Leader fighter pilot during the Second World War and his mother a WAAF. The second child of three, he has two sisters.[citation needed]

Bloom worked as a financial economist.[1][3] In his last position, he worked as the director of the investment company TBO in which he is still a major shareholder.[4]

He seemed to delight in the fact he would annoy guardian reading BBC folk- WOW trolling Politicians its a new low even for that shower of shits

with that comes some responsibility that if you want to debate or take on these issues you should take some time to educate yourself on the subject.

Indeed he seemed to want to engage only via hyperbole with racist overtones which is hardly going to add much to the table tbh

we are idiots for voting for him [ though he may not say this publicly]

I agree the role of aid should be freely discussed and using language like this is not likely to lead to any serious debate of the subject. However their main goal is probably to keep making sure they get publicity, to appear more important and powerful than they really are, so perhaps job done.

Its interesting they cite media conspiracies whilst getting so much more coverage than the Green party

convert

How is that posh folk like him and farage manage to constantly play this speaking for the ordinary man [ they always say man as they are not PC ****] whilst being as posh as posh can be and without any hint of irony., the UKIP man of the people routine is a ridiculous lie.

I’d say in his mind he is talking for the ordinary man simply because I’d suggest anyone who is not like him does not count as far as he is concerned. It’s not that they are beneath contempt, he is just completely blind to their presence. The folk he meets at the golf club are the rightful UK populous as far as he is aware and everyone else is a dirty foreigner or a serf.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

ladies-only golf clubs?

Have you seen the tournament trophies they give out?

Ooh. Sorry, I think I just came.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘UKIP in balanced & reasoned argument shocker’ is closed to new replies.