Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • UKIP banner Ad on STW
  • tuttonp
    Free Member

Mods – I think any political ads on what is a cycling site first and foremost are a bad idea, but one for a party that has pretty anti-cycling manifesto ideas (compulsory insurance, banning cyclists from some roads, etc) just seems pretty poorly judged.

The UKIP ad is currently sitting right across this sites homepage 🙁

tuttonp
    Free Member

Sorry, this should be in the Chat forum NOT the Bike forum

Spin
    Free Member

Many publications have (supposedly) complete separation between those that produce the content and them that sell the advertising. Which might be why things like this happen.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As they seem to have 20-30% of the vote I think they have legitimate right to be there. If STW wants to ban all political advertising that’s fine and I would be in favour of that but you cannot pick and choose.

Lifer
    Free Member

You really can.

Drac

Can’t see them as I’m a premier member but someone else did mention it on an earlier thread. The problem is as their very topical is discussed and posted on here a lot so the keywords are picked up by the ad coding, they then link to appear on here.

you cannot pick and choose.

Of course they can pick who is allowed to advertise on their site.

brassneck

As they seem to have 20-30% of the vote I think they have legitimate right to be there. If STW wants to ban all political advertising that’s fine and I would be in favour of that but you cannot pick and choose.

An awful lot of people buy the Daily Mail, and they banned hotlinking out to that, which is less in your face.

An I wholeheartedly agree with that 🙂

Personally I’d prefer no political advertising. Or no advertising. Something easily achieved with a Premier sub 😉

tmb467
    Free Member

Actually they don’t have 20-30% of the vote – they’re forecast to get that percentage of voters who respond to polls to vote for them

They currently have 9 of the 73 UK seats in the European Parliament. They have NO seats in the UK parliament and at the last election managed 3% of the vote

The problem with the European elections is that most people see em as pointless and the politicians as just jumping on a gravy train, and those who vote are those who either have a strong opinion on Europe or a strong opinion on the right to vote (43% of the electorate last time and it’s been decreasing since the voting started)

Aside from that tho – why does that entitle their advert to be there above anyone else’s?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of course they can pick who is allowed to advertise on their site.

I meant you cannot pick and choose between political parties, if you allow one you should allow all. I think it may even be a legal requirement. In practical terms any magazine would have to think very very carefully about attempting to decide which political parties it accepted and which it did not. It’s easier and better to do all or none.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I very much doubt those at STW have the time and inclination to vet every potential advertiser on their site.
    STW may have given a portion of their inventory to a network who will allocate ads based on the demographics of the site (or more likely the demographics and interests/online activity of the user) and the target audience of the campaign.

If UKIP ads are appearing therefore, it’s all your own fault for being a racist tosspot.

Currently I can see a banner for Bupa featuring a kids drawing. Pretty relevant to my life at the moment (obviously not being a racist tosspot etc etc 🙂 )

The skyscrapers at either side for issue 89 clearly are site-specific.

bencooper
    Free Member

If UKIP ads are appearing therefore, it’s all your own fault for being a racist tosspot.

Except by reading this thread, you’ve told the advert wotsit that you’re interested in UKIP so it’ll show you the adverts.

D0NK

Except by reading this thread, you’ve told the advert wotsit that you’re interested in UKIP so it’ll show you the adverts.

what he said, well done you.

surfer
    Free Member

@eckinspain

It would appear you are a racist tosspot in denial. In fact I suspect you have concocted this rouse yourself to provide deniability. Very cunning

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I meant you cannot pick and choose between political parties, if you allow one you should allow all. I think it may even be a legal requirement.

Of course they can choose whatever they want, why shouldn’t they? Although I doubt they do, as mentioned above the ads are probably served based on various algorithms from the ad provider.

There is a legal requirement for public service broadcasters to provide balanced coverage, not for anyone else though, that’s plainly absurd or else all the newspapers would be in breach every day.

eckinspain
    Free Member

The online behaviour tracking is unlikely to be so detailed – I imagine it would just register this as an interest in cycling.

My regular visits to ilovenazis.com however…

bikebouy
    Free Member

No problem with UKIP Ad’s, none at all, but that then means all the other parties are/should be allowed to advertise on here too..

Off you go then you lot, advertise… 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

STW is a small business, can it afford to pick and choose in terms of time and revenue by making stipulations on individual advertisers ?UKIP seems to have 30% of the vote, that may even be the highest share of any political party, STW is supposed to ban adverts from the leading party ?

Perhaps if we all paid to access the site we might give STW some more flexibility. As a premium user I don’t even see the ads, perhaps if you don’t like then you should do the same and support STW.

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

STW is a small business, can it afford to pick and choose in terms of time and revenue by making stipulations on individual advertisers ?UKIP seems to have 30% of the vote, that may even be the highest share of any political party, STW is supposed to ban adverts from the leading party ?

😆

tuttonp
    Free Member

“STW is a small business, can it afford to pick and choose in terms of time and revenue by making stipulations on individual advertisers ?UKIP seems to have 30% of the vote, that may even be the highest share of any political party, STW is supposed to ban adverts from the leading party ?

Perhaps if we all paid to access the site we might give STW some more flexibility. As a premium user I don’t even see the ads, perhaps if you don’t like then you should do the same and support STW. “

Agreed, but the first on-ramp to anyone taking out a paid subscription is using the free version. If I land on a cycling site with a UKIP (or any other political party for that matter) banner ad, I might be inclined to go elsewhere pretty sharpish. It certainly ‘looks’ like STW are promoting UKIP (to the untrainied eye)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think you could choose not to have any political ads on here but not pick & choose which ones, because that would be discrimination & how many threads have we ever had about that?
    We don’t do discrimination on here, oh no sireee!

wwaswas

The online behaviour tracking is unlikely to be so detailed

It is exactly that detailed.

Mark

Political ads are blocked by default on all the ad networks that will allow me to do so. If it popos up again.. or indeed any other political ads.. then a screen grab would be useful for me to track it down. Just email it to me if you can.

Cheers
    Mark

Mark

A crap! Just realised my mistake..

I had ‘politics’ blocked but forgot to tick the ‘Fascist’ box.

duh!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If I’m right, the ads are tailored to the site content, so maybe if we all stopped talking about the odious little bampots, their adverts wouldn’t appear. If, on the other hand, you’re so fascinated with Mr Toads latest high jinks whether they be on LBC radio or the streets of Edinburgh that you can’t stop posting about them then don’t be surprised if some automated advert poster thinks you want to know more

jambalaya
    Free Member

UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP

Could someone with ad banners tell me if they are seeing more UKIP ads as a result of reading my post 😯

wwaswas

I think repeating terms more often they would appear in natural language actually lowers the rank of that term as it’s seen as the site trying to draw revenue from certain streams and that’s frowned upon.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..or to put it another way, Toad’s advertising is smarter than you. How depressing is that?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘UKIP banner Ad on STW’ is closed to new replies.