• This topic has 33 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by enfht.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • UK, the Eurovision Song Contest and Brexit
  • buckster
    Free Member

Since 1997 when Katrina and the Waves won for us, we have struggled to come up with a win. Will Brexit make our chances even worse?

the-muffin-man

Can we do any worse!

Half of Europe may even think we are ace now. 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

How do you get worse than zero?

mrmo
    Free Member

will we even be in eurovision? bit European…. After all we are leaving everything connected now.

kimbers

whats worse in the context of eurovision?

zippykona

Of course we will win.
    Even if we don’t, the tannoys will proclaim a glorious victory as we march into the golden dawn.

IHN

First off; I love Eurovision, it’s proper good unpretentious fun.

However, the reason we haven’t won (or indeed done even vaguely successfully) is because our entries have been absolutely gash. Simple as that.

Cougar

I was wondering exactly this the other day. I reckon we’ll get a big fat nil points from everyone (except probably Malta).

Nico
    Free Member

will we even be in eurovision? bit European…. After all we are leaving everything connected now.

Remind me how many times Israel won?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, but ALL the entries are gash, it’s a one-way ticket to obscurity for any ‘artist’ who dares to enter it so you only get the loons and weridos – don’t say ****’ ABBA either, that was 40 odd years ago.

Will it worsen our chances? No, we didn’t have one anyway. Despite some efforts in recent years to get someone even half-good to give it a go for the UK we can’t win – it’s like a High School talent show, you might be the bestest thing on earth, but he (or she) who has the most mates wins.

We had few mates, now we have none.

I can’t even remember why we were so unpopular in Europe before Brexit, one of the wars in the Middle East most probably, our desire to mope around the US looking for crumbs from the table? Maybe.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nico – Member

Remind me how many times Israel won?

The requirement for entry was to do with a TV broadcast platform or so some such other outdated thing, it’s not a Europe thing per-se, certainly nothing to do with the EU, I suspect Farage is still unahppy about it and calling it to be banned to take back control of our light entertainment or something.

martinhutch

It used to be that getting nul points was a proper insult, but now there are too many countries involved so you can’t be sure whether it’s pure hate or just a preference for the other 12 states in their region.

Although it’s pretty obvious that they all detest us, I prefer the old days when the loathing from the France/Belgium/Spain axis was crystal clear. 😀

Reckon we’ll get some booing this year though. Which will be great!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I love Europe, we should stay in it.

But I foresee soon a time when the Eurovision Song Contest will not include us, until then it’ll be Zero Points and a sieg heil salute.

Maybe T’Mo/BoJo could start a Colonial Song Contest and invite all those countries the U.K. used to own/rampage/pillage, including Australia..

IHN

Yeah, but ALL the entries are gash,

The thing is, some of the European ones really aren’t, some are very good pop songs.

it’s a one-way ticket to obscurity for any ‘artist’ who dares to enter it so you only get the loons and weridos

Again, not necessarily, the winners can become massive in
    Europe

Despite some efforts in recent years to get someone even half-good to give it a go for the UK we can’t win

Again, I’d say we haven’t done well because all our songs have been crap. We’ve really tried too hard; it’s like they’ve thought “what does well in Eurovision” and tried to put all the elements as they see them into one song, so they’ve ended up with the musical equivalent of

– it’s like a High School talent show, you might be the bestest thing on earth, but he (or she) who has the most mates wins.

There’s an element of truth to this, but it’s not the main reason the UK keeps getting panned.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We could submit Adele and we still wouldn’t win. We should take back control of our popular culture and let America decide who’s best.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

BobaFatt
    Free Member

we could start Brexit Bangers……a topless darts show where the handicaps are worked out by how many pints of stout you’ve had

mt
    Free Member

@boba Fatt. I’d watch that. Have you thought about pitching the idea to the BBC? It could replace Bake Off and be cheaper for the BBC for the first few seasons, then you’ll make millions when you sell out to C4.

buckster
    Free Member

I was wondering exactly this the other day. I reckon we’ll get a big fat nil points from everyone (except probably Malta

Malta you say? Being the same Malta that is currently charing the EU and specificallyvstating we should get a bum deal?

I reckon the Ukraine might chuck us a bone as we did support them against the Russians.

dragon
    Free Member

Lets be honest here, even die hard europhiles generally think the standard of European pop music is pretty dire and Eurovision is a part of that. But the thing that killed the UK chances of a win and tbf the rest of the big traditional European countries (e.g. France) is the Eastern bloc joining.

Cougar

Malta you say? Being the same Malta that is currently charing the EU and specificallyvstating we should get a bum deal?

AFAIK the people of Malta generally love us, even if their government might not currently. And as we’ve learned recently, it’s all about the will of the people.

LapSteel
    Free Member

We wont win until we enter the comp with Morrissey…..its written in the stars

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t even remember why we were so unpopular in Europe before Brexit

Because they all have their old historical alliances aka cliques, and we weren’t in any of them. Blame Henry VIII if you like 🙂

theotherjonv

@boba Fatt. I’d watch that. Have you thought about pitching the idea to the BBC? It could replace Bake Off and be cheaper for the BBC for the first few seasons,

And they do still have Mary Berry under contract. I bet she’s a dab hand with a tungsten torpedo.

CountZero

I can’t even remember why we were so unpopular in Europe before Brexit

Well, the French hate us for Agincourt and WW2…

bikebouy
    Free Member

And the rest are just embarrassed by our inward looking “little gurlad” attitude.

But tonight’s show format should be a laugh, they’ve put it out to a “you decide” vote. Perhaps they’ve decided to walk away from any responsibilities for the outcome and fall back to the “well, weeee didn’t vote for it, you did” Just like June’s decision.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

We won’t win till we get a decent bloody song, it’s as simple as that.

project
    Free Member

the songs are on bbc 2 now finishes at 21.00 hrs though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who “won” ?

buckster
    Free Member

And another thing, how is it that they all sing in English?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How come Israel ‘compete’ in it?

cookeaa

the reason we haven’t won (or indeed done even vaguely successfully) is because our entries have been absolutely gash. Simple as that.

The winners tend to be pretty gash quite often (IMO)…

The reason we never win is because it’s actually just a popularity competition, everyone else votes for their neighbours and mates, and we’re that odd, horrible little, slightly racist nation floating off the coast that nobody else really likes…

Seeing as we’re never going to win, I think we should just get Boris to do a cringesome Rap about Britain’s view on all foreigners, it should include several rapid costume changes, lots of racist stereotypes and the line “trade negotiations, got me masturbatin!”… Tiny Tempah to produce and do backing vocals…

ninfan
    Free Member

This is a job for Bill Drummond!

To celebrate brexit he could bombard the European audience with three minutes of brown noise, directed sonic weapons and Tibetan folk singing, overlaid on a beat of deep space background radio transmissions.

It would be glorious!

enfht
    Free Member

It’s part funded by the UK license fee, the UK is one of the largest contributors. AND nobody voted for us before Brexit anyhow 😆

Post Brexit we’ll continue to fund, continue to participate along with all the other non-EU nations and continue to never get votes. So no change there then.

Predictably funny how a thread like this attracts Remoaners 😆

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘UK, the Eurovision Song Contest and Brexit’ is closed to new replies.