Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • UK terminology
  • busydog
    Free Member

In the context usually used on the forum, what determines if someone is considered a “chav” in the UK??? It is obviously used as a derogatory, but being in the USA, just wondered if it is used akin to what we call “gangbangers” ?? I don’t recall the term being used when I worked in the UK 30 years ago–or my memory just sucks. Just curious!!

busydog
    Free Member

Thanks thomthumb—gives it better context. A lot in common with our gangbangers, but probably not as much of the wanna-be gang/thug side, at least as ours see themselves.

Steve77
    Free Member

Chav = Trailer Trash

busydog
    Free Member

Chav = Trailer Trash

Good correlation–just the type you want to see moving in next door!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jafaikan = Wigger

😉

oneoneoneone
    Free Member
    busydog
    Free Member

Thanks all—think I understand the term and it’s application!!

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

It’s a derogatory term used by people who’ve grown up with few or no social problems to tar those people who’ve probably had a tough upbringing below the poverty line with the same brush.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Chav I understand, but what’s this “gangbangers”? I understood a “gangbang” to be something that, err, men may like but a woman may not? Not a term you’d apply to the sartorially/intellectually challenged?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Andrew, No, it’s nothing like that at all

MSP

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5grN83P-jC4[/video]

dabble
    Free Member

That random world of jen thing is bollox. Its a derogatory term for certain elements of the working class, i use the term working loosely.

Seems a bit daft tho that people will go off on one about calling someone a **** or a nigga but whats the difference with chav? Iz it coz they iz white so its acceptable? People don’t choose to be born into poverty or to a crackhead on a council estate but thats how their life panned out and its so hard to get out of that place, they’re called sink estates for a reason.
    I reckon chav is a bad word and shouldn’t be used by sensible people.

busydog
    Free Member

Chav I understand, but what’s this “gangbangers”?

Same root words, different application. I know the term you refer to, but it’s also used here for quasi and real gang/thug types–mostly directed towards young 12-16 year old wanna-be types–like the description of Chavs–usually only tough when in a group. They tend to be more than a little sartorially challenged, i.e. baseball caps worn backwards, pants sagged to their knees, etc.

druidh
    Free Member

dabble – Member
    Iz it coz they iz white so its acceptable?

Chavs come in all colours.

atlaz
    Free Member

gangbangers

I don’t get the word gangbangers as wannabes. They’re people in gangs with guns. Hence gang. And bang.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think you do choose to be a crackhead ,nobody makes you ffs

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Chav may have become synonymous with socio-economic status, but it has far more to do with how you conduct yourself and the way that you treat those around you.

There are loads of monied sorts around my way who could be said to exhibit the traits that we associate with chavs. Brash, rude, no respect for others, resorting to entirely unjustified levels of violence and aggression over the pettiest of incidents.

It is not some kind of catch-all term for the working classes (how would you define who they are in 2012 anyway?) and it isn’t restricted to white people either. Personally, I think it’s somewhat insulting when middle class liberals take third party offence on behalf of whoever they imagine the working class to be. The chav culture (and I use the term loosely) is anathema to traditional values of self-reliance and hard work (not that these were exclusive to the working classes).

The people I know who use the term most frequently (and with the most venom) aren’t particularly wealthy, often living on or significantly under the average wage, but who wouldn’t dream of giving up on life and/or outsourcing responsibility for every facet of their existence to organs of the state.

Edric64
    Free Member

+1 what he said

SamCooke
    Free Member

Chav is appropriated by the power elite, used to demonise and ridicule the working class because they appeared to be forming an identity and coherence. They did it with shades and casuals they, did it with mods, they do it everytime the working classes start taking pride in themselves and their identity.

nealglover
    Free Member

I think you do choose to be a crackhead ,nobody makes you ffs

Think you Might need to read what he wrote again ?

It wasn’t what you thought.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have read it again and apologise for not reading it properly sorry .Even reading it again just now I read it wrong the first time D- must try harder

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

SamCooke – Member
    Chav is appropriated by the power elite, used to demonise and ridicule the working class because they appeared to be forming an identity and coherence. They did it with shades and casuals they, did it with mods, they do it everytime the working classes start taking pride in themselves and their identity.

The traits commonly associated with the people that have come to be regarded as chavs have absolutely nothing to do with class pride or related feelings of unity and shared identity. Quite the reverse if anything, it’s the ultimate expression of contempt for those around you. It certainly can’t be compared to the mods, a youth movement or the violent subculture of a minority of sartorially inclined football supporters in the 70’s/80’s.

SamCooke
    Free Member

And that’s how they do it

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

SamCooke – Member
    And that’s how they do it

‘They’ being the Zionist Occupation Government, right?

Luckily I’ve stockpiled old-style KitKats and am now frantically unwrapping them to provide cladding for my hat.

😉

SamCooke
    Free Member

No, they being senior politicians, big business and the media, who find sheep are easier to control

wrecker
    Free Member

My understanding of the term is exactly what bravohotel8er wrote.

druidh
    Free Member

SamCooke – Member
    No, they being senior politicians, big business and the mediathe lizard people, who find sheep are easier to control

There, FTFY

SamCooke
    Free Member

There, FTFYKPMG

chiefgrooveguru

I hadn’t heard the term ‘gangbanger’ in the US ghetto stylee until I read Barry White’s autobiography. Definitely not the same as chavs…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The posters on STW who seem most comfortable with the word “chav” tell me all I need to know about it’s usage and meaning.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘UK terminology’ is closed to new replies.