Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • UK stag do locations (with biking) exeter, stafford, random welsh town?
  • captaindanger

I’m organising a stag do with biking and drinking. Needs to be in the South/midlands, North wales is too far. Was thinking stafford would be suitably seedy, maybe too seedy. Anyone have much knowledge of the riding and nightlife around Exeter/DArtmoor?

The other option is a random town in South Wales or Brecons. Any suggestions/comments welcomed.

Thanks

Mowgli
    Free Member

Dartmoor would be my choice. Some good pubs, good beer. Depends if you need a strip club though?

captaindanger

we can live without I suppose

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

I would avoid Stafford, an absolute pit of a place.

Depends if the emphasis is on beer or bikes.

Cardiff and Afan?
    Dolgellau and Coed y Brenin?
    Ross/Monmouth and Cwmcarn?
    Thetford?

magowen100
    Free Member

You could always go for the ‘Muff – Plymuff.
    Riding at Gawton for the downhill mob or Dartmoor via Tamar valley cycle way so a gentle start if feeling delicate the day after.
    Strip bars/ general filth on Union street, Captn Jaspers 1/2 yard of hot dog for breakfast (or Goodbodys on Mutley Plain for a fried breakfast at 4.30/5am as its open 24 hrs/day).
    Whats not to like?

captaindanger

Equal emphasis I’d say! I’d like to think more bike though. Thetford probably a bit tame for us, Cwmcarn good, what’s Ross/Monmouth like? Coed y Brenin is too far.

Anyone know of good accomodation near dartmoor that would have ~7 chaps there? And is not too fancy..

5lab

cardiffs got a great selection of bars (with slags), local riding, cheap accomodation, etc. There are also out-of-town hostels that’ll shuttle you in and out of the center as part of your trip. Just be sure to get breakfast at Ramones

Scamper
    Free Member

Cannock chase, then a seedy night out on Broad Street, Brum. Similar to Union Street, Plymouth.

captaindanger

that sounds good – what are these hostels called?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I had my stag weekend in Torquay. Its only about 25mins from Exeter.

Its seedy enough to be suitable for a stag do, loads of pubs, strip clubs, got PLENTY of hotels and B and B’s and its only a short drive from the trail centre at Halden Hill. Perfecto!

Richie

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Are you saying stafford because the of the chase.

Why not stay in brum the town centre is compact and easy for stag do to get around.

And also just outside the centre are plenty of go-karting/ off road karting / them sort of things if you want to do activities.

PS thats what I did,

Friday MTB in chase for me and mates who wanted to do it. you can hire bikes there from the bike shop or theres another company who will bring them out for you.

Saturday off-road go karting / curry / night out /maccy d 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Brum centre compact? I’ve been living here for a year and still get lost trying to get around the various enterntainment hubs of the City 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Stay away from exeter, boring..

scruff
    Free Member

I see Stafford town centre as posh but I grew up between Cannock and Bloxwich. Theres nice pubs and bad clubs in Stafford (and also Lichfield) but neither are really stag type towns. Try Walsall if you want proper seedy, specifically a place called Karma but spelled Caldene.

Otherwise what about Bristol ? Lots of nightlife, lots of riding.

captaindanger

The stag lives in bristol – not ideal!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Bournemouth: Easy access to the Purbecks.

Four strip clubs. Apparently.

kimbers

aberystwyth

the hit the machyntleth trails

loddrik
    Free Member

Used to live in Stafford, albeit 17 years ago. I am struggling to imagine a place less suited to a stag do location.

I’d second aberystwth. It’s a university town so should be pretty lively.

Cardiff..?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Cardiff?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The stag lives in bristol – not ideal!

well why are you on about stafford

captaindanger

what? stafford and bristol aren’t connected in any way as far as I know. Cardiff – yep – have emailed some hostels. I also went to one in Torquay last year, that is possible.

scruff
    Free Member

stafford and bristol aren’t connected in any way

Easy, M32/M4/M5/M6.

captaindanger

Sheffield? ANy good riding easily accessible from there?

BigJohn

Stafford is really not the place for a stag night, although I had my own there (or here) but that was before stag nights were invented.

It’s just too well-behaved I’m afraid.

captaindanger

I’ve only been there once, and don’t remember it being well behaved, unless I’m thinking of the nearby Newcastle? Dunno…

McHamish
    Free Member

For mine we went to Baskerville Hall in Hay on Wye and then did activities in the surrounding area. You’ve got Brecon Beacons and the River Wye right on the doorstep.

The hall has dirt cheap dorm type rooms (rooms with bunk beds sleeping 15+ people), the breakfast was ok, nothing fancy, just a load of fried food, coffee, juices etc. The grounds are large, so you can play football in the evening while drinking beer from the bar before you go into Hay for more drinks.

If you’d prefer somewhere with busy pubs and a great nightlife then Hay on Wye is probably not for you. But Hereford isn’t that far away, it’s a little more lively and has a strip club I’m told. One of the guys on my stag found it on the internet, and was desperate to go as he decided he was entitled to see boobs on a stag do, but noone else fancied it.

McHamish
    Free Member

Oh…I forgot to mention.

Baskerville Hall also has a nightclub open till the early hours.

It’s a bit basic if you’re a fan of superclubs, but they have loud music beer by the can and shots, so you can get as drunk as you like and dance around like loons.

Note that the female contingent at this nightclub will be minimal, the place will be full of other stag dos, and young louts from the area.

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

ahh Baskerville Hall with the wonderful Clyro Court night club

T1000
    Free Member

Swansea………. day at Afan…..night out on Wine st…… Eddies at Llangenith for all day breakfast

good day of trails….seedy night out….. recovery with fantastic views…. + you could go surfing if recovered sufficiently…..

captaindanger

lol @ Baskerville hall – brilliant!

McHamish
    Free Member

Yeah…when I said ‘nightclub’ I was being a bit generous.

But I was wasted on my stag do so would have had a great time in someones shed.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘UK stag do locations (with biking) exeter, stafford, random welsh town?’ is closed to new replies.