• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by grum.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Uk road trip
  • sambuka
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing a bit of a road trip in Aug, bike, van, tent. I have a few ideas of where I want to ride, but nothing concrete. If you were to have a free reign of the uk for a week, starting from Bristol, where would you go and why?

My current shortlist:

Lakes – never ridden here but can you recommend some big high rides?
    Glentress
    Fort william, day on the lift, day circumnavigating Ben Nevis
    Torridon
    Skye
    Laggan wolftrax

Cheeeeeers!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes,
    Lots to do, tour of Ambleside etc. Helvellyn, Borrowdale Bash and lots more.
    7 stanes for miles of easy smiles

vmgscot

Lakes… just so much epic stuff and few less midgies than here in Scotland.

twang
    Free Member

A weeks not long to tick all you boxes. As above, plenty to go at unless you want trail centres, in which case just go to south Wales because they’re all exactly like that 😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yip – you could just about drive round that lot in a week. Not much time left for riding though.

scotroutes

That

Mbnut
    Free Member

I’d mix up the Lakes and some 7 Stanes…

If you want to head up to the Highlands you need to just get up there as it is a big old drive.

geoffj

Lakes + Dumfries & Galloway

grum
    Free Member

I’ve ridden all the places on your list and I’d just spend it all in the Lakes I reckon. Easily enough to go at for a week and you won’t just spend loads of time driving. As above you could nip up to some of the borders trail centres in Scotland if you get bored in the Lakes.

Or you could do something like this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/torridon-overhyped-long-pic-heavy

🙂

sambuka
    Free Member

So do you think there’s a week’s worth of riding in the lakes and i should skip Scotland for another trip?

what if i were to do one day in the lakes and continue north? Which lakes ride am i most likely to remember when i’m in my 90s?

I dont intend to do the whole above list in a week, they’re just places i want to ride one day!

sambuka
    Free Member

@grum i think your Torridon pics are responsible for its inclusion in my list!

grum
    Free Member

Lakes – easily enough for a week:

1 – Stavely/Kentmere/Nan Bield
    2 – Something like this: http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/loughrigg-fell/
    3 – Claife Heights and Grizedale Forest (good one to do if the weather’s crap)
    4 – Helvellyn – could do it twice in a day if you’re fit and do Sticks Pass/Seldom Seen then Dollywagon descents
    5 – Borrowdale Bash with some tweaks + Warnscale
    6 – Four Passes (would mean doing Warnscale again but it’s ace)
    7 – Ullock Pike (in August it would have to be early or late in the day due to cheekiness) OR an easy day messing about at Whinlatter

Depends what you’re into but I reckon you’d have an amazing week if you managed all that. I’d be dead!

If you were going to pick one really memorably ride I would probably say the Four Passes. Lots of carrying though but I don’t mind that.

Edit: 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Uk road trip’ is closed to new replies.