Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • UK PAYE but French Resident – Anyone do this?
  • ddmonkey

I'm thinking of doing this, UK job and PAYE but living in France and resolving via the Double Tax treaty with French Tax return. Anyone do this? I can't see why it wouldn't be OK but just want to check I'm not missing a pitfall…. Cheers.

mugsys_m8

I tried…..

Depends how you do the 'living' in France. The tax could work… However the biggest problem is social security. In my sceanrio: Moved to france to live but tried keeping my salaried job in UK, with no need due to my job to be in France I needed to pay French social security and was not entitled to pay NI or to a reciprocal health care rights from the uK as I was living in France. I did it for 3 months or so, then the risk of illness etc made me formalise it as I have a family with me. My wife is fully working in the french system so my son was covered, but I was not.

To pay social security in France when working for a UK company is possible, but it will cost your employer huge amounts as it's more in France than the UK. So my decision, was to give up the salaried uk job, become a registered french liberal professional (self employed) and work for my old company as a subconsultant basis. Because I'm french self employed, IR35 does not come into it.

Feel free to e mail me. DanJDOTheywoodATgmail.com

ocrider

What Mugsys_m8 said.
    Self employed status is far easier to obtain these days in France, go for it (I'm going to be doing this myself in the not so distant future with any luck, although I've already lived here for 10 years). Enjoy the paperchase that is getting hold of the elusive Carte Vitale (healthcare), just don't give up in the face of hardened bureaucrats. its definately worth it.

ddmonkey

Interesting thoughts thanks guys. Dan I'll drop you a mail. Cheers.

Edukator
    Free Member

Your English employer can send you on a mission to France for one year before you have to pay French social security, this can be renewed once so you effectively get two years.

Self employed status was never difficult to obtain once Britain joined the EU and they give you a carte vitale as soon as you do so so it's hardly elusive. The bureaucrats are simply applying the rules and if you know the rules as well or better than them they provide no obstacle.

How many days a year will you be resident in France ddmonkey? Less than 183 and you can remain British so long as you have a UK address and don't have to pay French social security or tax. As your wife is in the French system you would have to elect to be taxed separately edit: oops it wasn't you that said you were married.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘UK PAYE but French Resident – Anyone do this?’ is closed to new replies.