Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • UK Manufacturing (Superstar haterz look away)
  • swavis

This popped up on my twitter feed and I thought I’d share. Pretty impressive!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAY1GalIm94[/video]

slimjim78
    Free Member

Fair play. Whatever you think of Superstar, its great to see the product being produced in house.

Interesting to hear that quality is supposedly better than Taiwan produced kit. Be nice to see that statement qualified on the trail.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive had my moments with SSC 10+ yrs ago, but I’m really impressed with how Fruit has matured and got on with business the way he has. I still buy SSC stuff, it’s just a pity Im not a flattie kind of guy and he doesnt yet make a SPD.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ordered a pair yesterday so hope the quality is good, they certainly get good reviews all over the place

Drac

He’s done good and nice to see him bringing more back into the UK.

munrobiker
    Free Member

On the UK manufacturing scale they’re definitely British Leyland rather than Rolls Royce.

swavis

Gotta start somewhere 😉

siwhite
    Free Member

Interesting to see – thanks for sharing…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Being ‘fiscally challenged’ a lot of the time I love their stuff, they come in for some bad press, but I feel a lot of it is unfair.

Other manufacturers will deny anything goes wrong with their goods, ever and when it breaks they blame the consumer, blame their dealers, create an environment that dealers don’t want to deal with warranty issues or take weeks or months replacing if at all and their customers accept it, because it’s “posh” stuff.

SS on the other hand have been a couple of ‘known weaknesses’ with some of their stuff over the years, but they own up, replace them and you move on. I’ve used them for so long I can’t remember, must be coming up to 10 years since I first took a pocket full of their pads to Morzine with me. I’ve had to return a few brake pads because they fell apart a bit, which is terrible, but they owned up and fixed it and I cracked two freebodies which they replaced FOC, lastly with a revised version which doesn’t crack, no fuss, no argument, 3 days later (1 day post to them, 1 day to sort, 1 day post back) – Hope on the other hand wanted a full on drains-up investigation with I cracked a hub body even though they were known to do that for a while, Fulcrum just ignored me, told me to speak to the dealer, and ignored them. Avid accused me of using my Code DH brakes in a manner unsuitable for them – I’m not sure what level of abuse you have to give a set of DH brakes to break them through “unsuitable use” but I know I’m not Gnar enough to do it.

dogthomson

Good video, thanks for posting it up.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I buy some of their stuff but there is no denying the fact that the Tesla hubs are flawed and have been for a long time but are still being sold.

So good stuff if no moving parts but continuing to sell a faulty product is poor.

Nice machine though.

Northwind

Mbnut – Member

I buy some of their stuff but there is no denying the fact that the Tesla hubs are flawed and have been for a long time but are still being sold.

They haven’t sold the Tesla for ages, except maybe in clearances, the Tesla Evo’s a different hub and as far as I’ve seen, doesn’t have the same faults.

It’s good to see uk manufacturing but it seems it’s all generic/copyish stuff- always seems like the R&D involves tracing someone else’s product. it’s one step up from putting a logo on a catalogue part though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Wish they’d do some brake adaptors again and that lovely range of floating discs they used to do in a kaleidoscope of funky colours. What happened to them SS?? Eh?? 😐

Still buy their brake pads though. They are teh awesums!

thepodge
    Free Member

Northwind – It’s good to see uk manufacturing but it seems it’s all generic/copyish stuff- always seems like the R&D involves tracing someone else’s product. it’s one step up from putting a logo on a catalogue part though.

Its funny because I see so many people saying that China can only copy stuff they have no original ideas and Britain doesn’t need to make anything because we’re full of ideas and that’s where the money is made… How the tables are turning.

Northwind

no_eyed_deer – Member

that lovely range of floating discs they used to do in a kaleidoscope of funky colours.

The old ones with the monkey metal braking surface that wore out in record time? I think Uberbike still sell those.

thepodge – Member

How the tables are turning.

It did make me smile. Though it’s not just foreign companies, I reckon Works Components might be flicking through their order history looking to see if they sold any anglesets to fruit…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Narrow wide
    Angleset
    Expander ring
    Oval rings

Innovative ideas, where did they come from?

bigyinn
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member

On the UK manufacturing scale they’re definitely British Leyland rather than Rolls Royce.
    Remind me again how many people can afford / actually buy rollers?

thepodge
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Innovative ideas, where did they come from?

America – SRAM
    America – Cane Creek
    America – Wolf Tooth
    Europe – Cant remember

point well and truly made there about the UK being awesome.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I was more suggesting they weren’t chinese ideas

Edit: but then I think I’ve misinterpreted your tables turning comment

retrobri
    Free Member

Fair play and good on ’em!

I’ve been running their latest DS21 wheelset over winter and they’ve been faultless!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Uberbike still sell those.

*goes off to look*

Ooooohhhh… Uberbike are the new SS! 8)

pickle
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with SS and fair play to them for doing what they do.

Who wants a stupid Roller anyways 😉

julians
    Free Member

I think their stuff is generally decent. I have had a couple of tesla evo hubs and they’ve been fine.

Their carbon am rims have out lasted the light bike rims I previously had.

Their grips are fine.

tthew

but they own up, replace them and you move on.

For me, one wet, mucky ride to wreck a bottom bracket, which they wouldn’t replace tells me this isn’t always the case, (hopeless shielding) but I still use them for pads and tools so can’t really complain.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I run a SS SS rear hub which so far engages well and hasn’t killed me to death.

hora
    Free Member

I shopped and will shop at Superstar. I think their products and very good.

The bloke who hit the wrong part with a rock to make it work then kicked off a stink I thought what the ?!! Man orders part just before his amateur race, wrong part is delivered (it happens) but as he ordered it too late he throws his toys out. Blaming SS for his lack of podium results and destroying a part then wanting a refund.

The rest is history.

Currently on my bike are SS pedals, chainring and front hub. Currently allover my sons bike and bed are SS stickers 😆

Andy_B

I don’t really understand where the British Leyland comment comes from. He’s dealt with labour issues through automation and as far as I know they don’t anodise anything brown or beige.

I thought that it was a fairly good manufacturing video and was pleased that for once it wasn’t dumbed down for people that have never seen something being made before. They deserve a lot of credit for finding a way to compete with Asia.

Mbnut
    Free Member

They haven’t sold the Tesla for ages, except maybe in clearances, the Tesla Evo’s a different hub and as far as I’ve seen, doesn’t have the same faults.

Sorry Mr Wind but mine are/were the Evo’s.

72 point engagement a bridge too far for the design, freehub teeth snap off from first ride and mash hub body.

Still a fail on these hubs from my point of view.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve had a few Superstar products over the years.

AM490 rims built up on Switch hubs – been on my MTB for 3 years – front one could do with trueing up but I did get a branch stuck through it.

Grips – fine
    Stem – fine – just a generic design anyway.
    Thru-axles – all good.

I’ll continue to buy their parts.

Alex

I like Superstar stuff – as above had issues with brake pads but resolved quickly. Ironically I bought a set of UK made Nano’s and the tolerances were all over the place. One pedal wouldn’t spin on the axle as the pedal body was way too tight. Again they took them back and fixed it (although managed to put a ding in the pedal before returning it).

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t really understand where the British Leyland comment comes from.

Because the stuff they sell is shite.

I don’t really understand where the “they own up, replace them and you move on” comment comes from. Are we talking about the same Superstar?

cokie

I like their stuff. I’ve never had any issues with components I’ve bought from them. Really pleased to see some of it being made in the UK. Good luck to him! Hope to see them expand UK production.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Good video but I wont buy anything they make regardless where it is made. After giving the benefit of the doubt after multiple pad failures I tried a couple of other products. The latest was an oval chainring and the quality was pretty bad. You could cut yourself to pieces on the burrs left on the teeth, the threads are rough and the machining looks rough compared to my hope or raceface rings.
    Cheap tat for cheap prices. I will happily stick to paying more money for better products.

colournoise

Has a fair amount of Superstar stuff over the years. Mostly wheels, pedals and pads. Only issue I’ve had was with a Tesla rear hub letting go big time. Contacted them 1 day before the end of the 2 year warranty period and they replaced with a Tesla Evo and rebuilt the wheel no questions. Can’t complain at that.

Good luck to them with the UK made stuff.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘UK Manufacturing (Superstar haterz look away)’ is closed to new replies.