Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • UK made steel hardtails? Idle upgrade thoughts…
  • Dudie
    Free Member

Afternoon all.

Back in 2006 I built up a Cove Stiffee with RS Rev 130mm forks, Mavic 321 wheels and a smattering of Raceface and Hope stop/go bits. The intention being to have just one bike to cope with anything I could throw at it (not a big ask tbh – this generally meant keeping at least one wheel on the ground and handling anything from canal towpaths with the missus, arsing about in the woods to steep uppy downy and sometimes rocky stuff in the Welsh hills).

The Stiffee performed admirably (it’s certainly more capable than I am) until I virtually gave up cycling in favour of hill walking and running for a few years.

I dragged it out of retirement around 18 months ago and have been enjoying intermittent hoonery ever since. Even swapped it over to 1×11 (I like!) Anyhoo, now idly thinking of replacing it with something new. I like the idea of a UK made steel hardtail but have no idea what’s what currently (turn your back for 5 minutes and wheels have got bigger – wtf was that all about??). It would need to be as fun and involving as the Stiffee and cope with all sorts of natural terrain. Probably want to go bikepacking too. No interest in 29ers or balloon-wheeled clown bikes. I’m 5’8″ and the 17.5″/Medium Stiffee has been spot on.

Ladies and gents, your recommendations please.(‘Just keep the Stiffee’ is also under consideration, but I like the idea of something made in the UK)

Ta.

AlexSimon

Not many are actually made in Britain, but there are some:
    Enigma
    Swarf
    Curtis (some)
    BTR
    Shand (most)(might be 29er only)

timmys

Are you sure you mean “made in Britain” or are you after a frame from a British company?

Obvious candidates are;
    Stanton
    Cotic

ads678

Whats your budget? UK made steel HT would set you back around £1000 for a frame.
    UK designed UK company would be less, although Cotic and Stantons prices are creeping up towards that mark, bloody brexit!!

nwill1
    Free Member

As others have said made in the UK is few and far between although there are some.

My recommendation would be to look into Stanton bikes.

They have 3 bikes in their current line up…

Swithback…full in hardcore…lots ride them all day but they really are capable of some abuse. Think DH HT/Enduro/Trail ridding. (27.5″ Or 27.5″+)

Slackline…trail HT…all day bike, not as knarley as Switchback but still very strong and very capable. Think Enduro/trail/XC. (27.5″ or 27.5″+)

Sherpa…trail/XC HT…all day bike, very capable 29er. Think Enduro/Trail/XC. (29″ or
    27.5″+)

All three models come in Steel & Ti. Also all frames go through the full testing on one frame so they’re very strong products. I’ve only ridden the Slackline & Switchback which are sorted, apparently the Sherpa is to, I’ve very very tempted to trade in my Slackline for a Sherpa.

There’s a great ‘Stanton Owners’ group on FB, if you want to see/find out more.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Are Charge still UK made?

Dudie
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Yes, I suspect I really mean UK designed by a UK company. Apologies, I thought we made more frames over here.

Budget? Fairly flexible tbh. I suppose £2k or thereabouts for a complete bike. Will have a look at Stanton.

Cheers.

BillOddie

Why not 29?

29er wheels on hardtails are a VERY GOOD THING.

Defo try one before you dismiss out of hand.

AlexSimon

If UK designed.

Pace RC127
    Stif Morf
    Cotic Soul

ads678

Orange P7 also.

I love my Cotic Solaris though, built it up about 2 months ago and absolutely love it. I’m only 5’9½” but I like the 29er thing for covering ground and it’s still plenty playful. I got one of the last ones before the new version came out and running it with 100mm forks.

jonnym92

Really like my Pace RC127, they do a RC127+ which takes 650+ or 29er wheels too. Orange/Cotic/Stanton worth a look as mentioned. Though I’d probably go for a BTR if I had the funds!

wl
    Free Member

Love my 2016 Orange P7 with 140mm Pikes – it’s fast, fun and very versatile. Does everything here in Calderdale – cheeky steeps and super-rough rock gardens through to 30-mile xc loops over the Pennines. Ride it all year round too. Had it 1 year and it’s been faultless. Would easily convert to a bike packing rig (part of the reason I chose it). I’m 5′ 10″ and just get away with a medium. Large would also fit fine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for Stanton – I’m on my fourth now although the latest one was not technically by choice (number three was stolen).

I really like the way they ride and the new geometry has made them better, although they’re still not a long as the competition but I think that’s partly down to Dan preferring a shorter bike.

The new Slackline (or Sherpa) would probably be most suited to what you’re looking for; the 853 frameset is really nice to ride. With some careful buying you should be able to build up a nice bike for £2k even with the price rises.

Stanton are definitely at the top end price wise for the current steel hardtails but do cosnsider that they are all Reynolds steel.

Pace and Orange make some cracking looking bikes at the mo too.

rOcKeTdOg

monkeysfeet – Member
    Are Charge still UK made?

i don’t think they have ever been anything other than UK designed and made in China

AlexSimon

Apart from the Ti frame iirc

NormalMan

Cotic.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Cotic anything! My old 26″ wheeled Soul was the bet climbing bike I’ve ever known.

Rickos
    Free Member

Ragley Blu Pig or Piglet. I’d go for the Big Wig personally, but it’s a 29er.
    I’d urge you to try a good 29er before you reject them completely.

ragleysi
    Free Member

Also stanton all the way, there’s no other hardtail for me, I’m on my 3rd, and I’ve also built up a dj frame as a mini trail bike for my 8year old. They just ride amazingly, I’ll never own anything else.

rOcKeTdOg

Probably need a username change then

Rorschach
    Free Member

“cope with all sorts of natural terrain
    go bikepacking too keeping at least one wheel on the ground and handling anything from canal towpaths with the missus, arsing about in the woods to steep uppy downy and sometimes rocky stuff in the Welsh hills”
    Sounds like a 29er would be ideal

ragleysi
    Free Member

Rocket dog, yeah I know, I did try and change it but it wouldn’t have it for some reason

shermer75
    Free Member

i don’t think they have ever been anything other than UK designed and made in China

I thought they were made in the Republic of China (Taiwan)

superjohn71
    Free Member

My Charge Plug frame was indeed made in Taiwan

Adamo16
    Free Member

Stanton buddy. I am on my third! Had a steel mk1 Switchback, then Ti mk2, now on Ti Sherpa. They are very capable bikes. From your description I would probably go for a Slackline.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘UK made steel hardtails? Idle upgrade thoughts…’ is closed to new replies.