Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • UK largest construction site on the brink..
  • coconut
    Free Member

I want to add: The official line from EDF is “The project continues” and a go ahead for phase 2 will be made in September. Hence me saying “on the brink”

Hinkley always was a sitting duck sadly. There will be a contract break clause allowing the to walk away if there are “fundamental changes to the terms”… as this is built to Eurocodes and standards.. its bust. The enabling works will likely get completed and then mothballed. This means you have the harbour, intake tunnels and foundations in and in 10 or 20 years the Chinese or others could finish it…

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot of projects in my area come from banks. I can’t see them signing off many new projects now. Give it a year or two until the current projects finish up then I might be in trouble.

AlexSimon

muppetWrangler – Yep as torsoinalake says – you’re now more competitive if you charge in GBP (which is ok as far as you’re concerned) and exactly as competitive as you were if you charge in the currency of the client, although you could lower your rate in this instance to become more competitive again.

I’ve a mixture of UK/Asian clients and it probably wont make a great deal of difference to me overall.

Although one of my UK clients is the “European distributor” of an electronics brand, which might mean they have to move into the EU if the common market access and VAT/etc become harder.

Anyway – glad that the news isn’t as bad as you thought!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Blimey, this is getting better and better. At this rate I’ll have to stop giving the rest of my family and half my friends the daggers look for voting out and take them all out for a slap up meal instead. 😕

My work is about 60% UK and 40% international. Oddly not much in the EU, mostly China, Singapore, middle East and US. Did go through a period of doing work in Russia but that was too hit and miss with regard to actually getting paid.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Good luck to all immediately affected.
    We can only hope things don’t work out as bad as predicted in the short term and the Leave optimism isn’t misplaced.

I do like a balanced view though:
    How many individuals lost their jobs or had their conditions worsened by being in the EU?
    Jobs shipped to eastern Europe.
    Companies setting up in low tax EU country and gaining access to single market driving companies in other countries down.

There has been, and will be, winners and losers either in or out.

Again good luck to everyone. I’m just keeping my head down at the moment.

Clover

You can carry on with the daggers if the general meltdown in the markets continues and contracts are cancelled.

Oh, and just for believing in the Leave campaign and it’s ‘promises’.

We didn’t mean it

And also for playing fast and loose with the Northern Irish peace process, the state of the union and our relationship with our nearest neighbours.

Clover

Jobs being shipped to the EU is not dependent on us being in the EU! If a company thinks it’s better off producing in Poland or China, then we cannot do much about it (unless we want to subsidise it – in which case we had better elect a different government).

project
    Free Member

SCOTTISH POWER,

EON,

EDF, AND PROBABLY MORE ENERGY COMAPNIES

a lot of the water companies,

MERSEYRAIL,
    and quite a lot of the train operating companies,and freight haulage companies

along quite a lot of haulage and logistics companies,

and lots more related large employers

are all foreign owned, and if the grants funding from the EEC dries up , they will go away.along with the jobs they support.

But hey ho, not to worry, all those people made redundant or sacked can take the place and jobs of all those imigrants the out lot wanted to remove from uk plc.

footflaps

Jobs being shipped to the EU is not dependent on us being in the EU!

No, but if our economy and currency tank enough, it might end up being cheaper for Europe to ship manufacture to the UK than China. Obviously we’d all be getting $100/month wage and living 10 to a room with suicide nets outside.

I believe this is jambalaya is hoping for, a new economic dream for the UK…

molgrips
    Free Member

mostly China, Singapore, middle East and US. Did go through a period of doing work in Russia

Blimey, who’d have thought muppets needed wrangling all over the world?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘UK largest construction site on the brink..’ is closed to new replies.