Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • UK Gravity Enduro round 1 Afan
  • kimbers

well that was hard work
    mud cleared up a bit for today but it was colder

glad I got a spot in a bunkhouse last night as camping wouldve been no fun camping!

and was won on a 650b, the 29er is officially dead 😉

(edited for silly spelling)

kayak23

Dan Atherton won on a 650b didn’t he? A home made one or something…?

legend
    Free Member

Not quite homemade, more like custom-factory. EDIT: probably

29er in 2nd of course

b45her
    Free Member

thought dan athertons bike looked a bit out of proportion too.

singlecrack
    Free Member

To be fair Dan Atherton could have prob won it on a shopping trolley

legend
    Free Member

That GT is pig ugly with any wheel size on it

b45her
    Free Member

agreed atherton would have won on any wheel size the dude is insanely fit.
    apparently on stage 4 (total mudfest) Neil Donoghue thought he’d pulled a bit of time on him only to see him running besides him carrying his bike !!

iridebikes
    Free Member

Out of interest, did they use all trail centre tracks, or were some more natural?

b45her
    Free Member

mostly trail centre tracks but afan’s are pretty natural feeling by trail centre standards, the exceptions were the second half of stage 4 which was super boggy and a short section joining 373 to the 4x track, good job really because the natural sections were properly boggy with stage 4 being almost un-rideable. would have been amazing if it was dry though.

kayak23

Two fugly bikes….

Northwind

Custom dropouts to make the wheel fit according to Dirt… Force has removable/replacable dropouts so wouldn’t be difficult to arrange. Looks a little gawky but I think it’s a large? The Santa Cruz is vile but you can’t see it when you’re riding and if you’re Neil Donoghue nobody else can see you for long either.

Seems a little odd that GT are supporting one of their riders to do UK enduro riding, on a bike you can’t buy in the UK (even as standard) though! Race today, sell tomorr… Hmm.

b45her
    Free Member

i quite like the GT but that santa cruz is hideous, i don’t care how much 29ers ignore the laws of physics, i wouldn’t be able to ride the thing because i’d start throwing up as soon as i opened the garage door.

b45her
    Free Member

you hit the nail on the head there Northwind dan is likely do do very well in the upcoming enduro word series and the all new 650b 2014 GT force will appear soon after.

Northwind

Wonder if anyone will sell it!

JCL
    Free Member

Haven’t heard from many of the “26” are the fastest for Enduro” brigade in this thread… 😀

kimbers

Tracey mosely won on a 26

so its just 29ers that are for losers 😉

there were a smattering of 29/650s but most were on 26
    being mostly trail centre based it was the least technical of all the rounds it may have suited big wheels better

a higher % of the sponsored riders were on big wheels, whether it is because they were faster or because bike companies want their latest products showcased…..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Haven’t heard from many of the “26” are the fastest for Enduro” brigade in this thread…

“Fastest rider is fastest at Enduro shocker”

tommyhine

The first stage was a cold one, a lot of stuff froze on my bike. Good fun day though although I had a mare in stage 4.

kimbers

ice in my camelback tube coming off stage 1

grum
    Free Member

I see they couldn’t afford to knock up a podium. 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

For a fairly innocuous section of trail centre trail, riding Stage 1 flat out at race pace made it pretty wild, without even considering the ice on a few of the faster corners.

nickc

That Santa Cruz is perhaps the ugliest bike I’ve seen in a long time, and Mr Donaghue looks like he thinks so too given the way he’s holding it. I think I’d only ride it if was paid to as well.

andytherocketeer

saw a few things on twitter over the weekend, all for various enduro:

one 650b won, so clearly 26er and 29er are dead.
    one 29er came top of a timing sheet, so clearly 26er and 650b are dead.
    one 26er won so clearly 650b and 29er are dead.

GaryLake
    Free Member

That Santa Cruz even makes my Gyro look nice!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

a higher % of the sponsored riders were on big wheels, whether it is because they were faster or because bike companies want their latest products showcased…..

Hmmmm, I wonder….

kimbers

dan atherton wasnt too pleased with the track

and yeah sounds like GT 650b will be out soon

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirttv-uk-gravity-enduro-rd1-chit-chatafan.html#comment-798300

philwarren11
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member

For a fairly innocuous section of trail centre trail, riding Stage 1 flat out at race pace made it pretty wild, without even considering the ice on a few of the faster corners.

Best section of trail on that mountain imo.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I guess Dan is mostly commenting on Stage 4, which frankly was a joke. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t just cut it short? OK, so a 1min section would not have been ideal, but I’d prefer that to trying to run through knee deep slop.

Apart from that, the course was great. Stage 1 was icy and super sketchy. 2 wheel drifts and lots of “uh oh” moments! 2 & 3 were great fun, especially 3 which was really long but loads of fun. Stage 5 was passable too, although there was a muddy bit that wasn’t great, overall I found it OK.

kimbers

to be fair I saw 1 guy cruise past me while i was stuck fast on stage 4; youve just gotta have the skills!

b45her
    Free Member

biggest problem i had was that the transitions were way to lenient, even trying to take my time i was getting to the stages way to early and waiting around, i started every stage with frozen gears due to the waiting.

kimbers

results are up, my worst event ever! oh dear better get training

http://www.rootsandrain.com/race1596/2013-mar-24-uk-gravity-enduro-1-afan/

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Screwed the order up a bit there with all the DNF’s up the top.

Quite pleased with my top 20 in Masters. Shows the strength in depth of the field in that I would have been over 10 places higher in Senior with the same time.

Wish I was doing Innerleithen now.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it. The training paid off and I didn’t do badly considering I was on a borrowed bike, which I only started riding the friday before the race.

The best sections IMO were the really tight berms in the top/middle of stage 3 and the whole top half of stage 5. I was loving that top section of 5 on the sunday. I almost forgot I was racing, I was having that much fun.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My blog from the race is done if anyone’s interested.
    http://peterlloydmtb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/uk-gravity-enduro-round-1-afan.html

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘UK Gravity Enduro round 1 Afan’ is closed to new replies.