Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • UK fat bike forum – still going?
  • nickdavies
    Free Member

Tried to register on there as i’ve been eyeing up a fatty for a bit. Registration disabled though.
    Is it dead?

wwaswas

I don’t think so. *checks* It’s still there.

I suspect it’s due to whatever behind the scenes power struggle is going on for control of the beating heart of the UK Fat Biking scene.

Plus the fact that the only way to register now is to do a paging thread on here so offering it on their site is pointless.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s clearly a sign you shouldn’t get a fat bike. Or that somebody needs to set up a new fat bike forum. SPLITTERS!!!!

wwaswas

I mostly just look at the Facebook group but even then I get jealous as everyone’s had snow this year except me.

rOcKeTdOg

I posted on it this morning, still seem to be a healthy number of posts, ride meet ups & sales in the classifieds

scotroutes

Still running, as is the saga of its ownership and administration. It is, for some reason, routinely spammed by false registrations so the decision was made to switch off the whole process awaiting an upgrade or other fix. If you are on Facebook then you might try contacting one of the administration through that.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wonder if the forum will end up buried in the sands of an East Lothian beach, only visible at very low tides. Or maybe hidden in a concrete bunker. Like some war relic.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

If you’re getting lots of bots signing up it may be worth adding those annoying captcha codes.

They’re annoying but at lease they allow near instant registration.

whitestone
    Free Member

Several better ways than captchas to deal with bots: honeypot fields (the bots fill them out); randomised field names (prevents a human filling out the form then scripting it); form completion time (bots fill out the form very quickly); random question that a human will get right but not necessarily a bot (“Who makes the Pugsley?”)

The above techniques will flummox most if not all bots, on one registration form I was getting spam outnumbering genuine registrations by nearly 3:1, now it’s down to one or two a month and they look like they are humans testing the system.

stanfree
    Free Member

Now now Steven , they are all busy taking pictures of bikes hanging from sign posts and Ice creams whilst grinning about how there bikes can ride everywhere way slower than other bikes.
    Puts the kettle on and waits…..

rOcKeTdOg

Puts the kettle on and waits…..

One sugar in mine, make sure milk goes in before the tea though

stanfree
    Free Member

^^^ 😀

theashnav
    Free Member

Bike hanging from a signpost you say 😀

theashnav
    Free Member

Bike hanging from a signpost you say – never 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s not a fat back they need, it’s broad shoulders for all the chips.

cupra
    Free Member

Posted on it this morning and got a pm from it.

rickmeister

We are balanced souls, one and all… Chips on both shoulders.

If you can bring my tea along, black, no sugar… I’m down by the submarines….

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

I wonder if the forum will end up buried in the sands of an East Lothian beach, only visible at very low tides. Or maybe hidden in a concrete bunker. Like some war relic.

Or abandoned and rusting up the back of a shed, like a bike with silly wheels.

(I phrased that carefully so that no matter what wheels you have, you can be offended, no need to thank me)

mtbel
    Free Member

Tea? don’t mind if I do. Earl Grey. no milk or sugar for me.. put the milk
    I don’t use straight in the saucer for young steven.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Anybody want a pie with their chips? Or pommes frites for Rick.

househusband

It’s not a fat back they need, it’s broad shoulders for all the chips.

I sense an ‘atmosphere’… I tell you what, Steven – I’ll lend you my fat bike for a while if you like? I think you’re just feeling left out.

😉

Mine is hanging up in the garage; I can only look back nostalgically at the good old days before fat biking became all mainstream, fragmented and all the bike manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon… aah… (leans back in chair and sighs wistfully)…

cupra
    Free Member

Is fatbiking mainstream? Other than my own 🙂 I have yet to see one out on the trails or down by the sea on the sandy beaches.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Feeling left out? Must be all the closed forums and Facebook groups. It’s like a secret society. Who do you have to know to get in?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Tell the truth HH, you moved counties so you could ride without permission.

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

Feeling left out? Must be all the closed forums and Facebook groups. It’s like a secret society. Who do you have to know to get in?

Dude, they let me in. The door policy is not that exclusive.

Mind you, once I was in, all they did was tell me to buy a used Pugsley, even though there’s clearly NO SUCH THING.

rOcKeTdOg

stevenmenmuir – Member

You don’t have to know anything, what you do need is an open mind, tough for some I know

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think a closed mind might be what’s wrong with the fat bike forum.

bumper
    Free Member

Is fatbiking mainstream?

Hope not, wouldn’t want to meet and chat with most of the cocks off here buying and riding fatbikes 😈

scaredypants

Maybe they should make a fat, cheeky trails website – getting onto something that arcane would probably result in an internet black hole that’d kill us all

Edit: (careful, the following address does exist and I bet your boss wouldn’t like you going there – oh, err, and it’s not mine)

Luckily, I have http://www.fatcheeks.com up for sale 😀

househusband

Tell the truth HH, you moved counties so you could ride without permission.

Just spat crisps and ale over the monitor…

😆

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m sure you had tissues handy.

igm

They let me join yesterday and they’ve been quite helpful.

Thanks UKFBFers

scotroutes

😀

househusband

I’m sure you had tissues handy.

Of course! I was thinking of you, after all… 8)

ojom
    Free Member

Good old Anal Jackhammer.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Anal Jackhammer? Are they on Spotify?

ojom
    Free Member

Yep. Try ScrotumRoute as well.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Scotroutes side project.

scotroutes

Balls to that!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

He’s here all week, try the veal and don’t forget to tip your waiter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘UK fat bike forum – still going?’ is closed to new replies.