Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • UK designed and/or built full sussers…?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Who are there?

Pace
    Orange
    Whyte
    Cotic

spoon
    Free Member

Empire ?

http://www.empire-cycles.com/product.html/

on-one make a full sus as well don’t they

CaptJon
    Free Member

Anyone know of anymore?

clubber
    Free Member

Saracin
    Boardman
    Carrera

thomthumb
    Free Member

diamondback

thepodge
    Free Member

Marin

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Whatever happed to Colella?
    Are there any custom frame builders that do full sus anymore?

compositepro
    Free Member

On-One will have 2 full sussers in about 2 months designed by me but made in the far east.A marathon racer and a Ride all day model

brant
    Free Member

On-One will have 2 full sussers in about 2 months designed by me but made in the far east.A marathon racer and a Ride all day model

Crikey. You’ve been busy!

I’ve got an FS model coming for Nukeproof, but the first sample is being tested at Mega Avalanche – we’re a while to production yet!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Marin?? As in from Marin County near San Francisco?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Wow, Colella – a blast from the past that one. He made some nice frames.

X-lite had a pop at a DH frame didn’t they, for a brief period.

Curtis make one,or did at least, albeit with a bought-in back end.

And Edge bikes didn’t last long did they.

And Twentyfourseven had one, for a while at least. Don’t know if they’re still going.

thepodge
    Free Member

CaptJon – Marin?? As in from Marin County near San Francisco?

yeah, they used to be designed by Whyte but now some one else in the UK does them

adeward
    Free Member

K9 designed in Oxford,,,
    Marin still designed in the uk, by the same team as before except no more Jon whyte ,,,, and they have finaly moved out of the pig shed

compositepro
    Free Member

no brant was always designing bikes just there was more money to be made designing things that go fast round tracks or hold the wings on jet planes

Im sure the edge design precedes the dw or giant …now theres a law suit if ever I saw one if only they had lasted a bit longer

the designs have just been sat in a hard drive.

not a new idea outhere ATMO

I sent CY an email the otherday as i have a proto shop right under the house…maybe you can bob a long for a visit

GW
    Free Member

McGrath

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member
    Clink

29er version?

brant
    Free Member

i have a proto shop right under the house…maybe you can bob a long for a visit

Sounds like you’re better equipped than my shed, and genuinely good to hear that on-one designs are in such capable hands!
    ps: did you get that zip file as not heard from Dave.

compositepro
    Free Member

i did indeed sir

jackthedog
    Free Member

Im sure the edge design precedes the dw or giant …now theres a law suit if ever I saw one if only they had lasted a bit longer

If I recall correctly (and I’m both apologetic of and embarrassed by my being such a tiresome geek) Edge’s linkage configuration was designed so that the rear axle path was BB concentric, as opposed to the more “involved” route the DW’s takes.

The linkage layout is very similar though. Anyone remember the World Force VR1? That was very similar too, but from a decade or so earlier. And there was the more recent Cortina (DH1?) that also used a similar setup.

Anyway, back on (this long forgotten) topic:

If McGrath gets a mention, maybe we can mention Millyard and Mr Big?

brant
    Free Member

I could never quite work out if they had a “virtual concentric” bb pivot, why they didn’t pivot it around the BB.

Pipedream?

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Not really bothered about the “Designed In Britain”. Just seems like an excuse to charge top dollar for yet another Taiwanese frame.Whyte are the wort offenders,Union Jacks all over the place and very,very expensive.
    I salute Orange for not only making great bikes,but for making them here.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I could never quite work out if they had a “virtual concentric” bb pivot, why they didn’t pivot it around the BB.

Has this ever been done on a MTB. Ducati pivot there swinging arms on the final drive shaft on there motorbikes but I imagine you would need some pretty big and heavy bearings to fit round the BB shell

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think the Cove G-Spot has big bearings round the bb shell?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

not all oranges are made int UK though, my frame (06 crush) was made in taiwan

thepodge
    Free Member

pantsonfire – Has this ever been done on a MTB. Ducati pivot there swinging arms on the final drive shaft on there motorbikes but I imagine you would need some pretty big and heavy bearings to fit round the BB shell

Kona do one and if i remember correct one of the late 90s Pace prototypes had one

jackthedog
    Free Member

The Kona A?

I think that TwentyFourSeven bike I mentioned above did/does too.

As do a couple of Lenz Sport bikes.

Then there’s the Rotec RL9, which is odd in that it has a pivot round the BB that’s rendered redundant by the licencing of the Lawwill rear end.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘UK designed and/or built full sussers…?’ is closed to new replies.