• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ji.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • UK camping – family & bit of bikey
  • franki
    Free Member

Going camping in August for a week with the wife and 11 year old girl. (All outdoorsy types – holiday parks / amusements etc are not on the agenda.)
    Any good areas you can suggest to keep everyone sweet?

Somewhere by the coast would be good for the nipper and somewhere with a bit of biking nearby for me. (Although I’ve only got the rigid ss running at the moment, so I’m not looking for tough mountain terrain – that’ll have to wait til my HT is fixed.)

Thought maybe (the usual) North Wales or maybe the Gower or Somerset.
    Never been before, but what about the North York Moors?
    Is there much riding near Ambleside that won’t destroy me as a ss noob?

Open to any ideas.
    Whaddaya think?

40mpg

New Forest?

Plenty beaches nearby, easy access to South Downs / Isle of Wight if you want some hills and plenty of singlespeedicious riding in the Forest.

Check out Calshot Activity Centre & Moors Valley Country Park for activities (even track cycling if its a rainy day, however the sun always shines down here)

Good choice of campsites from basic forest ones to all-the-frills ones.

Plenty of pubs all within riding distance of anywhere off-road.

Oh and of course if you are coming late August you could take in the Big Bike Bash too!

franki
    Free Member

Hmmm, maybe…we camped at Ashurst in the New Forest one year. Nice round there and interesting coast too.
    Thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

Pexton Moor Farm has pretty much everything you need

It’s about 50m from the toll gate into Dalby Forest where there’s loads of bike trails, walks, Go-Ape etc.
    Half an hour from the coast & right on the edge of the North York Moors

snakebite
    Free Member

Plenty to do here mateBere Regis, we go every year. Great for local walks/rides to pubs, beaches a short drive, Lulworth, Poole, Durdle Door etc and

snakebite
    Free Member

Plenty to do here mateBere Regis, we go every year. Great for local walks/rides to pubs, beaches a short drive, Lulworth, Poole, Durdle Door etc and Wareham forest on your doorstep for a blast. Some great routes right out of the site too. Bournemouth and New Forest a short drive away too…. what week are you going….. 😆

IHN

Isle of Wight? Lots of riding, lots of coast, seasidey-ice cream type stuff too, nice country pubs/walks, loads of campsites (Orchard Barn is good, Google it).

40mpg

I live in Ashurst, more than happy to show you some trails if you head back down 🙂

franki
    Free Member

Plenty of options so far…cheers!

neilb67
    Free Member

snakebite – Member

what week are you going….. [:lol:]

Uve got a 1 in 52 chance of getting it wrong Ian…. 😈

snakebite
    Free Member

1 in 4….he’s already mentioned August….
    Think we might head off into France late August, bikes, camping, wine… 🙄

franki
    Free Member

Uve got a 1 in 52 chance of getting it wrong Ian….

😆

Most likely first week in August. 😕

Muke
    Free Member

Lots of campsites and equipment reviews here.They even have BBB listed in their events guide.

Smee
    Free Member

Fort William.

ji
    Free Member

Pickering, just near the moors, and a quick off road ride to Dalby?

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5487 is a really nice campsite, small, but you can help feed the animals and milk the cows etc if you want. Right opposite the Hole of Horcum too for good walks (I fancied riding it cheekily, but decided that there were too many walkers)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘UK camping – family & bit of bikey’ is closed to new replies.