Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • UK biking road trip for 4 southerners, where to go?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

In Easter next year 4 of us plan to travel to Scotland and spend 6 days riding whatever trail centres we can working our way home but need some help.

Where to ride and what trails to ride.

We will have a van so plan to sleep in that but maybe pitch a tent or two.

It will only be purpose built XC trails, but for example Glentress does have the jump park to prat about on.

Ideally split it into 2 days Scotland, 2 days Wales (not Afan or Cwmcarn) and then 2 Midlands area.

What would you ride?

acorlett

Maybe this isn't a helpful thing to say, but I reckon if you're coming all the way up to Scotland, spend more time here – forget the Midlands! One day Aviemore, one day Laggan, one day Tweed Valley (Glentress/Innerleithen), one day Kirroughtree – then on to North Wales…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Always open to suggestions. I agree with you, but a mate from Canada has never ridden Sherwood pines and has suggested there.

snaps
    Free Member

Yes I agree, if I was driving that distance I'd want to ride everything – did a two center holiday in Wales & wish I'd spent more time in the North as South Wales is doable in day trips.

Chew
    Free Member

+1 for Kirroghtree and Lagan, there amazing

Be prepared for some driving though.

Kirroghtree to Lagan is easily 6 hours and it took me 5 hours to get from Leeds to Kirroghtree.

North Wales is also a bit of a detour as well.

I'd concentrate on one area, so you can maximise the riding/driving ratio.

grumm
    Free Member

Definitely better off doing a couple of days in the Lakes rather than the Midlands surely – or as said just spend all the time in various places in Scotland.

keavo
    Free Member

i think almost any english trail centre will be an anti climax after scotland, so i'd stay up there for 6 days.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Sherwood pines isn't really worht a trip- good for a local, or a change. I used to ride it a bit when I lived an hour and a half away.

We did a Scotland/Wales road trip, going in the opposite direction (we started in Fife).

For 4 days, this is quite a set of rides if you're not sticking to Scotland-

Coed Y Brenin (I wasn't that impressed, I'd do Afan or Penmachno)

Snowdon

Helvellyn

Drumlanrig

An extra 2 days would be well spent on the Old Man of Coniston and Kirroughtree.

crazy-legs

From a strictly personal point of view I'd spend a couple of days doing the Dumfries trail centres (Mabie, Kirroughtree, Dalbeattie) then spend the rest of the time in the Lakes riding proper trails!

abductee
    Free Member

It's a long way from down south to Scotland. I would want to break up the trip with some riding. Here's a couple of websites which may help you choose.
    http://www.tworide.com/rides/index.asp

http://sites.google.com/site/mtbtrailtime/home

If I had travelled from Canada to do Sherwood Pines I would be a bit disappointed to say the least but it depends where you are in terms of fitness/skills. Cannock or Dalby would be better choices if you need to stop off in the area. I would do them on the way up and maybe Lakes and Wales on the way back otherwise it could be a bit of an anticlimax.

vinnyeh

My tuppence.
    You'll struggle to beat Scotland, but imo there are a couple of must dos down south. They're purpose built biking trails rather than all singing all dancing trail centres, but it's the riding you're going for, isn't it?

Stainburn, due to the technical nature of the trails. Don't let the fact that each trail is only a kilometre or two in length put you off…

Penmachno. great views, well built (albeit puddle strewn) trails that make you feel like you're out in the back of beyond, you'll not have the feeling that round the next corner you're going ot bump into a couple of hundred other riders. Closese thing I've ridden in these islands to 'natural' manmade.

I'd not bother with Sherwood Pines, it'll be a waste of a day.

br
    Free Member

And rather than just trail-parks, try getting out a bit – there are some fantastic rides all around the borders for example.

theotherjonv

if you're southern I'd guess at some point you'll have ridden at Swinley or the surrounding area, or Thetford.

My impression of Sherwood pines (albeit few years ago) was very similar, nice flowing singletrack without anything particularly difficult or dangerous unless you're really at the limit of your abilities. I've never ridden in Scotland but from what I've heard and similarities to northern NJ where I have ridden, you'll find that worth your time more, unless you really need to tick the box to say you've been.

On the other hand – it would make a nice midway stop – scotland to the south is quite a lot in one go……

What about Cannock (more impressed by that than Sherwood Pines tbh)

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Looks like 6 days in Scotland now as 7staines will be a good 3 days riding. What does North Wales have to offer?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

As Glentress and Innerleithen are different sites I want to get the most out of them in a short time frame (2 days riding), is it worth doing the Glentress black run or stick to the red as I hear spooky wood is brilliant?

keavo
    Free Member

2 days will suffice for glentress red and black plus innerleithen xc. personally i like them all but would say gt black is my favourite. i would ride inners and gt red one day (its only a short drive/ride away). then gt black the next, and you could do the red again if your legs are up for it.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Good plan, didn't think of that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘UK biking road trip for 4 southerners, where to go?’ is closed to new replies.