Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • UK Beach Holiday Destination, with kids, but away from the crowds ?
  • RagTi
    Free Member

Hi All,

Looking at a holiday in the UK this year with the wife my 5 year old and 8 month old. Done Devon and South East but looking for a beach destination with sufficient stuff for my daughter but somewhat away from the jams and crowds (oh..and the chavs, not to sound like a snob :wink:).

My daughter is very low maintenance, and is not into days after days of theme parks / attractions, but loves the beach and having something different to do.

Were based in Hebden so very central with regards the south, both coats and even somewhere like the Isle of Mull !!?.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Kev

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northumberland.

Stunning. Just stunning.

I mean, look at it;

Lovely people, lovely food, lovely beer, lovely countryside. All in all, a truly lovely place.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Just an offbeat suggestion but have you considered the North East? Stunning beaches, generally drier than the rest of Scotland, no crowds and the biking… well it’s pretty good 😉

lizzz
    Free Member

St Andrews too far?

There’s a beech, castle, swimming pool, aquarium, and an awesome ice-cream shop all accessible without a car once you’re there, and other stuff locally you can drive to… theres a country park with an adventure playground and a wee railway. Spent many happy summers in that area as a kid. 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

no no no dont be coming up here. Stay away there is a really contagious disease going around Northumberland at the moment.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Yeah, Northumberland, and in particular Holy Island. Had several holidays there. Absolute peace when the tide’s in.
    Alternatively have a look at the Fife coast between Elie & St Andrews: quiet coastline with a fine coastal path, rock-pools, beaches, harbours in each village etc, but a short train journey to Edinburgh.

iainc

another vote for Northumberland. Been last couple of yrs and heading there again in a few weeks time. Great for kids (age 6 and 9) and less than 2 hrs drive from home

donsimon
    Free Member

Anglesey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

no no no dont be coming up here. Stay away there is a really contagious disease going around Northumberland at the moment.

Akshewally, I heard about this. Terrible news. The entire Northumberland coast area is rife with it. Best not go there. Leave it to the poor locals to suffer in silence.

😉

Seriously, though, Northumberland is one of the finest places in this land. Those who live there should be both proud and smug in equal measure. I love it as a place, it’s truly amazing.

youngrob

St Andrews is great, lots to do but it will be busy with all the golfers. If you can make it that far, have a look at the Mallaig area, west of Fort William. There are some amazing beaches between Arisaig and Morar. Not many people up that way but there is quite a bit to do.

jakey6873
    Free Member

Try islay, wonderful beaches, very peaceful and a few distillerys to visit

wooobob

Anyone know of a good campsite up that way (north east)? Looking for somewhere to spend a few nights in a campervan where the boy (2) can be kept occupied and where the wife can get a hot shower 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

What about North Pembrokeshire or Ceredigion? Scenery more than rivals Devon and Cornwall, lovely beaches, some great places to eat but always possible to get away from the hordes.

I live in Devon and love it, but this summer we’re going to Pembs to get away from the grockles!

Or if you really want to get away from it all then Wester Ross. We did a trip up there at Easter and it was fab. Stayed in Plockton, which was lovely, but also really liked the Applecross area which has some lovely sandy beaches.

br
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire is a great destination with huge beaches, all popular with some traditional and busy (Tenby) and others not (the Havens).

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bamburgh /Seahouses.

edlong
    Free Member

Northumberland. Seriously. Just Northumberland.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bamburgh /Seahouses.

FTFY.

Seahouses is an utter hole. Sorry to say that after praising the area so much, but it’s a den of iniquity, lined with tat, almost as bad as the “Kiss me quick” tawdry tosh that lines Southend or Blackpool.

Of all the wonders of Northumberland, Seahouses isn’t one of them.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Northumberland looking a bit crowded at Dunstanburgh

ocrider

Bamburgh is a nice place, but unfortunately the inhabitants ‘know it’ if you get my drift.
    Kippers are good though.

kerv
    Free Member

Another vote for Pembrokeshire, St Davids and the surrounding area is stunning and far enough of the beaten track. Done Northumberland, it’s nice but not as good as Pembrokeshire, stunning beaches, surfing, sea kayaking, coasteering etc. Not so great for mountain biking though unfortunately!

carbon337
    Free Member

proud and smug in equal measure

Nah more smug by a 70:30 ratio

Lived here all my life – people at work ask me “have you never fancied moving elsewhere” er let me think? NO!

Id rather have less cash but a better quality of life anyday.

Your all more than welcome in all honesty – there is no other work here now so we are learning to embrace tourism. Just remember to not bring any of your city ways with you.

We dont do noisy or fast paced up here.

ocrider

😀

RagTi
    Free Member

Great replies all, honestly realy appreciate all your comments. Cant believe I never really considered Northumberland as I have top memories of going there many times as a kid.

Again, thanks
    Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

West Wales, Anglesey, or the west coast of Scotland.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Another one for Northumberland. Lovely area.

rewski
    Free Member

Holkam beach in Norfolk takes some beating, we’ve stayed in blakeney close to cley, sheringham and Cromer, very quiet and unspoilt, thetford not too far away either.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Of all the wonders of Northumberland, Seahouses isn’t one of them.

You can buy orange fish cakes there. Orange! Fantastic.

We were in the amusements there a few weeks ago, it was like Phoenix nights.

squiff
    Free Member
    uphillcursing
    Free Member

Search for Dunstan steads campsite. Will tick your boxes i think

deano8
    Free Member

Another vote for Holkam beach or Wells next the Sea.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Stay in england, there’s nothing in Scotland apart from rain and midges. I know where I go on my holidays!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northumberland, grew up there and still love going back.

Seahouses for fish and chips and boat out to the farne islands.

Also look at Alnwick Castle/Gardens, Cheviot hills and loads more to be seen.

Gorehound
    Free Member

and.

Stunning. Just stunning.

I mean, look at it;

Lovely people, lovely food, lovely beer, lovely countryside. All in all, a truly lovely place.

That was taken on the day it wasn’t raining up here. 😆

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you come to pembs.. give me a shout… you just need to know where to ride

Sandwich

And the wind had died down too Gorehound 🙂

ElShalimo

Anglesey – just avoid Red Wharf Bay and Trearrdur bay and it’s very quiet. It’s the usual story of 10 mins walk from the car park and you’re on your own.
    Aberfraw beach is stunning cos it’s a little walk from the car

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘UK Beach Holiday Destination, with kids, but away from the crowds ?’ is closed to new replies.