Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • UK annual inflation
  • bluebird
    Free Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the UKs annual rate of inflation from 2000 to present day. I need an official source with a figure for each year.

Thanks

mrblobby
    Free Member
    teamslug
    Free Member

would that be rpi or cpi. I got into this when i got divorced!!!! or should i say my solicitor did…

bluebird
    Free Member

Just good old fashioned inflation. We’ve not put our rates up for several years and I want to see what an inline with inflation increase would put them up to.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member
    bluebird
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks you. I’m not a financial wizard, is Table 21 the best one to use as a guide to general price increases?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It would be fine for your purposes but….

To be cycnical – what do you want to show? RPI will be higher that CPI generally due to its components (housing costs) and method of calculation (arithmetic versus geometric mean). Ever wondered why governments switch to CPI !?! So adjusting prices for RPI will give you higher prices now than CPI and vice versa in the gov’s case!

But strictly speaking (as an economist), CPI is a better indicator and better reflects changes in spending in relation to changes in prices. So despite my earlier cynicism I would actually use CPI to get the purist answer. But as a retailer (I assume) use RPI to give you a higher number to bargain with!!!

HTH!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

P.S. I would simply use Table 20 (if you are using RPI) and say:

(Price 2000 / index for 2000) * 2011 year end index

This will give you real cost of 2000 price today.

Alternatively you can compound your 2000 figure by each year’s inflation in Table 21. They will give you the same answer.

So imagine 2000 price was 100. The maths is 100/index end 2000 (from Table 20 this is 172.2) times index for end 2011 (239.4 from table 20 again) which gives you “adjusted” price of 139.02 at end of 2011 adjusted for RPI.

(100/172.2) x 239.4 = 139.02

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just got in, and did a quick calculation with CPI – gives 128.5 rather than RPI’s 139.0 – so you decide which suits best!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘UK annual inflation’ is closed to new replies.