Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • UK "All round" full suss standard.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I have no problem with 29, it’s just preference. I’ll ride XC, trail centre, DH, whatever really. I’m no big hucker though.
    I just didn’t like the camber. Sooner have an anthem or a fuel ex. Sooner again a trance. Worth a try?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sound similar but I am too wimpy on DH stuff!!

I almost bought the Trance 29 2013 but they sold out, then last years looked goppy IMO. But demoed Trance and Anthem over one weekend and was expecting to love the Anthem (I do) better than the Trance but was surprise how good the Trance was over 2-3 hour rides and more fun on steeper trails. Then it all went 27.5.

On paper the camber evo seems to be a close alternative – although the anthem SX looks brill but for silly wheels again. Perhaps I need to demo a 27.5 to get over my irrationality!!

The sad thing is every time I do a Spesh demo, the bike that gives me the biggest buzz is the epic, I like going uphill fast!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Ha, I’d hate the epic! I’m also a sucker for an uplift day so our riding is a little different, I get my kicks pointing down.
    All I’m saying is choose a bike not a wheel size. Ill demo loads when new bike time comes and buy whatever feels best, be it 650 or 29 or even 26.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interesting wrecker that you are keen on the trance then – shows how versatile they are.

Last demo day I did I rode two whytes (t and m 29ers), the camber evo and the epic as it was there. Hated the whytes (although great bikes for some)I hated riding them uphill and they did nothing for me going down. But I loved the hidden engine on the epic (!) that allowed me to be first up the hill and great blast down trails. Camber in between. Pretty fast up and great on the down.

We rode the same track for each demo (Holmbury for those that know it) and the difference between the epic and the camber was a cheeky trail next to secret squirrel. One tight, steep corner with roots highlighted the more comfortable camber evo position when it gets a little trickier.

Still last years anthem 29er 1 is on sale and looks good in black.

roverpig

What was wrong with the Whytes going up? Inefficient, or problems keeping the front wheel down or on-line?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hard to describe RP because I was pretty certain they would be the ideal bike for me from reviews. For me, they were slow, bouncy, and just no fun riding uphill (plus concur with your observations) and no better on the downs than the other bikes. Little to choose between either version and just left me with a feeling of so what. The rep was as disappointed as me, and a bit niggled that I didn’t like either. Good to see him passionate about his brand. Better spec and VFM than the Spesh but not as much fun for me.

I then jumped on an epic and shot up and down the hill with much more fun. The anthem and trances I tried separately also suited me so much better.

I was riding in group of about 20-3o riders. On the whytes I was about 15-20 on the way up, on the epic 1 and the camber 4. On the way down about the same with each bike and fastest on the epic. Apart from the steeper singletrack where the camber felt best, the epic was a joy. But I have come from 7 years riding an XC HT!!!

roverpig

Thanks that’s very interesting. I also thought the T129 (works SCR) looked ideal on paper and all the reviews seem positive, but I’m another weirdo who likes to climb 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The trek fuel ex was another one. Loads of great reviews but I couldn’t ride the damn thing. Felt like a wheelbarrow and I kept falling off. Nothing wrong with the bike, just didn’t suit me and I have only ever ridden treks!!!

Bikes are simply a personal choice?

plyphon
    Free Member

A lot of good points made all through the post, and I thank people for the helpful replies.

One of the reason I was drawn to MTB over riding road is that a lot of the market is based on fun over race performance.

To elaborate – take the 456C I currently own. On paper this bike isn’t winning any races. Too much travel for XC, not enough out back for enduro. But they’re quite a popular bike because they’re hilarious to ride. (Disclaimer, I am aware people build their 456C’s up “more xc” with shorter travel to race with)

So based on that ethos, I’ve decided to go for the longer traveling Canyon Spectral at 140mm each end, which should by all accounts be a great bike to ride, over a shorter travel 120mm bike

ceepers

Good choice I think.

benpinnick

The 2015 EX models are much better value than the non-ex FWIW.

jairaj

I’ve decided to go for the longer traveling Canyon Spectral

Hope you enjoy it. Out of interest, did you try out any other bikes or did you just a take a leap of faith based on the spec sheet?

VanHalen

If you are getting a decent amount of travel get a lockout shock for the boring bits. Propedal or platform shocks arnt quite the same.

rob8624
    Free Member

I live in Wales and use my 2014 Heckler for trail centre stuff and natural riding three or four times a week. It suits every kind of ride and climbs brilliantly. I’d definitely consider one if I was you.

plyphon
    Free Member

Hope you enjoy it. Out of interest, did you try out any other bikes or did you just a take a leap of faith based on the spec sheet?

Yeah, I tried the Giant Trance 27.5, a couple of 29ers (in both full sus and hard flavours) and this one odd 120mm 26 full suss that I cant remember what it was.

The Canyon is going to be a leap of faith. At this price point FVM and aesthetics are as important as potential ride quality so I don’t mind taking a risk based on the fact they look the tits and the VFM is very good vs Giant etc.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Don’t bother. They’re shit. Properly shit.

Don’t sit on the fence, is it any good or not? 😉
    Seriously, that’s the first negative vibe I’ve heard about the Camber. Just shows that personal preference is King.

What attributes made it shit for you and was this the Evo version or standard geo? I’m interested since the Camber Evo is right at the top of my shortlist for a do everything except DH and jumps trail bike. I can imagine it’s quite a different bike with or without the Pike up front.

Also what makes the Trance a million times better? If it is then I should be getting one of those, because a million times is a lot. Sorry, please ignore the sarcasm, I am genuinely interested in your reasoning as the Trance is a serious option for sure and any info would be welcome.

lexinoo
    Free Member

As someone else mentioned above,i think the new giant anthem sx would make a great bike for most people for most of the uk.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_ca/bikes/models/images/2000/2015/Anthem-SX-27-5-Blue-Yellow.jpg

wrecker
    Free Member

What attributes made it shit for you and was this the Evo version or standard geo? I’m interested since the Camber Evo is right at the top of my shortlist for a do everything except DH and jumps trail bike. I can imagine it’s quite a different bike with or without the Pike up front.

I tried 2; both 29. Unsure of exact models. Both were steep and twitchy, like sitting on a road bike. Cheap though I suppose. I felt immediately at odds with it and just couldn’t bear to ride it. It is absolutely personal preference, so don’t let my opinion sway you. I do suggest that you try others though. As I said, the Trance and Anthem felt lots better to me. More neutral, surefooted, confidence inspiring. Then again, you might love the Camber!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also what makes the Trance a million times better? If it is then I should be getting one of those, because a million times is a lot. Sorry, please ignore the sarcasm, I am genuinely interested in your reasoning as the Trance is a serious option for sure and any info would be welcome.

I tried the previous generation trance-x and enduro which weren’t far off travel/geometry wise. I’ve got to agree, the giant just did something better, I’m not sure what, but it did. The suspension felt much more active, but that the same time it felt faster uphill. And down, the Anthem-x is the only bike I’ve ever drifted alsmost every flat turn (and a lot of berms) first time out. Dunno why, giant’s just suit me, but then the anthem is/was very much weighted on the frton wheel so the back was always doing it’s own thing!

Which is wierd, I’ve never actualy bought one.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I tried 2; both 29. Unsure of exact models. Both were steep and twitchy, like sitting on a road bike. Cheap though I suppose. I felt immediately at odds with it and just couldn’t bear to ride it. It is absolutely personal preference, so don’t let my opinion sway you. I do suggest that you try others though. As I said, the Trance and Anthem felt lots better to me. More neutral, surefooted, confidence inspiring. Then again, you might love the Camber!

Thanks for coming back on this. I’d be very surprised if the Evo version with a 120 mm Pike would feel steep and twitchy, but I guess I’ll find out for myself soon enough. On paper The Trance looks slacker and the Anthem steeper. I’m finding demos of anything difficult to come by at the moment.

wrecker
    Free Member

No probs. envious of the new bike time! What the budget BTW?

moshimonster
    Free Member

Budget is pretty flexible, but don’t want to go North of £5K if I can help it. Most of the bikes I’ve been shortlisting are in the £4-4.5K bracket.

wrecker
    Free Member
    moshimonster
    Free Member

wrecker – v. nice option and certainly considered the 5010, but was looking more closely at their 29ers i.e. Tallboy LTc. Decided in the end that SC bikes are just a tad more money than I really feel the need to pay to get the ride I’m looking for.

wrecker
    Free Member

Which is? SC are undoubtably expensive, but if you really compare it the the evo I don’t think there’s a huge amount in it. The SC is full carbon, the evo has an alu rear. Both have pikes, CTD kash shock. Nothing between the wheels and lets be honest the drivetrain is mostly consumable. Similar price. I don’t think that the spesh offers much better value at all.
    Of course if you want a more XCish 29er then that’s fine. A demo might not be a bad idea though?

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘UK "All round" full suss standard.’ is closed to new replies.