Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • UCPA Ski/ Snowboard Trips – Anyone Been?
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Considering booking a solo snowboarding trip with UCPA to the Alps, just wondering if anyone has any experience? Thanks for any feedback.

nbt

Did a week in Flaine last year on the off-piste course. Excellent, am seriously considering going back. Each centre is different, most offer dorm rooms with shared facilities, we did pay for a twin room and it had en-suite. food was plentiful and not too bad (lunch is included), we had an excellent offpiste instructor (Denis Roget from the Flaine ESF) and the gear was pretty good.

Straightliner

Have used them a lot in the past and I would recommend them. The instructors are good (I’ve also done a number of their off-piste courses), food plentiful and equipment as good as hire shops.

Downside is the (room) accommodation can be quite basic and is usually shared rooms of 4 or 6, often on a first come first allocated basis.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wideboy
    Free Member

I’ve been on too many UCPA trips to recall, from beginner ski to expert high mountain snowboard.

They’ve all been excellent. Price includes ski kit and ski pass which is where the saving is.

The best part is that for off piste courses you normally have a high mountain guide rather than just an instructor.

Actually, the best part is having a group with the same ability.

Highly recommended!

Have a look on actionoutdoors website at the centre ratings, UCPA have been updating a few recently and the difference between the old and the new is massive with regards to the rooms.

For example Chamonix centre is very, erm, rustic, but just up the road Argentiere was refurbished a couple of years ago and is excellent.

Neb

As above really, good solo, or with friends of differing ability that probably wouldn’t ski together. I did a couple of the high mountain courses, one in argentiere and another in Les arcs. The instructors spoke great English and a right good laugh. If you book via the ucpa website, it’s cheaper than action outdoors, but action outdoors puts you in rooms with other English speakers.

jam-bo

For example Chamonix centre is very, erm, rustic, but just up the road Argentiere was refurbished a couple of years ago and is excellent.

Shows how long it was since I went. UCPA Chamonix was quite nice and argentiere was a hole.

spot
    Free Member

@ wideboy

offpiste lessons will always be with a mountain guide
    a “normal” esf instructor is legally not allowed to teach offpiste in France

(unless legislation has changed that is, certainly was like this couple years ago)

Digby

offpiste lessons will always be with a mountain guide
    a “normal” esf instructor is legally not allowed to teach offpiste in France

I’m pretty certain the French qualification ‘Carte Pro’ allows you to instruct ‘off piste’, but not on glaciated terrain – this requires an IFMGA/UIGMA qualified High Mountain Guide.

nbt

Digby is right.

spot
    Free Member

i stand corrected

andykirk
    Free Member

Thank you very much all…. off I go!

PS. If it’s crap i will come and find all of you….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘UCPA Ski/ Snowboard Trips – Anyone Been?’ is closed to new replies.