Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • UCI clarifies position on ""forbidden races" – Have we done this yet?
  • Northwind

There’s a bit of chat on the Gravity Enduro facebook on this… Steve says his races are all BC sanctioned. Certainly our local enduro ones are, we’ve had BC commisaires around telling people off for not wearing helmets while walking up fireroads, etc, and being unsubtle about who the cheating warnings were aimed at.

Don’t know if the No Fuss events are, I’ve never seen a BC presence at those.

wrecker
    Free Member

being unsubtle about who the cheating warnings were aimed at.

Ooh do elaborate….

cookeaa

Minor Point of Clarification when people talk about “”Enduro” are they thinking more “Endurance” type 12/24Hr events or “Gravity Enduro” type events? I suppose both are a bit off of the UCI radar but that doesn’t mean they don’t have any governance or guidnace to offer…

TBH if the BC are involved then as a UCI affiliated national governing body the event is “UCI sanctioned” I can’t see much of an issue then…

For their faults I actually think our (UCI affiliated) national body, British cycling are pretty good value. They provide admin support, online entries and insurance to clubs looking to run events, provide commisares on race day and TBH whille not perfect I’m sure the headaches would be worse for organisers tring to do all of these things entirely outside of the BC…

Does anyone know of an easier way to get sensibly priced insurance for a DH or XC event?

They obviously have to interpret and apply the UCI’s rulings at a national level and I can’t help but think this ruling is basically an unenforcable one.

It would mean that BC have to monitor every Elite rider in every Disipline somehow and find evidence that they competed in a Non-sanctioned event i.e. one they had nothing to do with BC or the UCI…

So how would they know? it’s the old “Unknown, Unknown’s” again innit…

Or is it an “Honesty Based” policy?

BC- “Did you compete in any non-UCI/BC sanctioned Races in the last twelve months?”
    Racer- “Errrrm, No.”
    BC- “Great, that’s our investigation done then, you may now race World Cups”

wwaswas

I wonder if the ‘Steve Peat Steel City DH’ is a sanctioned event.

If he rides he’s going to struggle to do it under the radar given the events name?

JoeG
    Free Member

The sh!t was going to hit the fan as some teams were going to defy the rule like Sho-air.

wwaswas

They really are a complete bunch of **** aren’t they.

Lifer
    Free Member

Does MTB need the UCI?

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Oh the irony… the UCI press announcement right next to the menu item announcing “Cycling for all”…

“The UCI Cycling for All programme encourages as many people as possible to take up cycling in some form and at any level. This may mean using a bicycle as a means of transport, cycling as a leisure activity or taking part in competitions (cycle-sport events on the UCI’s Cycling for All calendar).

In order to increase the participation in cycle-sport events, the UCI works closely with National Federations, governments, and other stakeholders.”

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d rather go to a race sanctioned by the Cycle Touring Club that the UCI

bwaarp
    Free Member

My respect for Cannondale just shot through the roof if they had a say in the Sho-Air teams decision.

mogrim

Does MTB need the UCI?

If it wants to race at the Olympics, yes. Which for a lot of athletes is still the pinnacle of sporting achievement. Beyond that? Doubtful. The amount of athletes that race both road and mtb professionally in a given year is probably pretty limited.

Interesting the parallels you can draw with triathlons – the pinnacle of the sport is, arguably, the Kona Ironman – but that’s a privately owned sporting event, and has nothing to do with the official federation. Fortunately the tri federation seems a little less stuck up its own a**e, and accepts the situation. Likewise top athletes can race XTerra events and the like, no complaints.

JoeG
    Free Member

My respect for Cannondale just shot through the roof if they had a say in the Sho-Air teams decision.

I don’t know if they did or not. I say this based on reading about the Aaron Gwinn/Trek Racing split. I always assumed that Trek (and other bike companies with teams named after them) ran the teams. I was surprised to find out that the team was run by another company, and Trek was just a sponsor, though a big one no doubt. I’m not involved in the racing scene at all, so I don’t know whether this is the norm or not.

The mtb racing scene is definitely broken! UCI try to run it the same as their road racing, but its not the same and never will be. Someone needs to hit the reset button…

andyrm
    Free Member

Good to see the UCI have backed down for now at least – technically I could have faced a ban and fine for participating in an entire non-BC/UCI UK Enduro Series this coming season as well as 2 EWS rounds and a couple of non-UCI SuperEnduro rounds too.

What is interesting is the response from the SuperEnduro organisation when I asked about the new EMBA (Enduro Mountain Bike Association) membership and whether it could be used instead of a BC/UCI Licence code (something to do with it being a requirement due to Italian red tape, either an international licence or a medical exam out there). Their response was “not this year”, suggesting that because infrastructure is already in place, it can’t be changed – but if plenty of Enduro organisers go with the EMBA and stick two fingers up at the UCI next season, that should do the job once and for all hopefully.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I don’t know if they did or not. I say this based on reading about the Aaron Gwinn/Trek Racing split. I always assumed that Trek (and other bike companies with teams named after them) ran the teams. I was surprised to find out that the team was run by another company, and Trek was just a sponsor, though a big one no doubt. I’m not involved in the racing scene at all, so I don’t know whether this is the norm or not.

The Sho-air team is run by a guy called Scott Tedro, and he’s been affiliated with Specialized for the last 13 years. Cannondale only came on board this year, and I’m pretty sure they are not an integral part of the team organisation.

JoeG
    Free Member

USA Cycling now has a competitor, the North American Bicycle Racing Association!

MTBR article

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The sh!t was going to hit the fan as some teams were going to defy the rule like Sho-air.

Yes but doing judging by the photos they may be practicing for triathlons not mtb biking – strangest press pic I have seen in a while

JoeG
    Free Member

Yes but doing judging by the photos they may be practicing for triathlons not mtb biking – strangest press pic I have seen in a while

Yeah, that Sho-Air team photo is a real WTF…

Edit – but if standing in water will make the UCI go away, then I’ll do it, too! 😀

Parr
    Free Member

Guys, before you go stirring up a hornets nest, please make sure you have all the facts!
    This UCi ruling was not aimed at Gravity Enduro/Enduro, there is a bigger picture.
    All UK Gravity Enduro events are BC sanctioned as are most UK races, be it XC or DH, we have only 1 governing body here in the UK, unlike other bigger English speaking countries 😉
    All of the World Enduro series, European rounds, will have the hosting Countries National Cycling body behind it, so just to repeat, this is not aimed at the UK races.

charliedontsurf

Does this mean wiggo can’t race at SSUK, but armstrong can?

I’m gonna need a bigger drug testing kit.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘UCI clarifies position on ""forbidden races" – Have we done this yet?’ is closed to new replies.