Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • UCI clarifies position on ""forbidden races" – Have we done this yet?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Facinating article on PinkBike regarding the UCI’s recent statement on races not sanctioned by them

In short, any UCI license holder will not be allowed to participate in anything other than officially sanctioned races. This surely has huge implications, not least for the Enduro scene. Riders like Dan Atherton will have to decide whether they want anything to do with the UCI any more, given the majority of Gravity Enduro races aren’t sanctioned.

Anyone feel the UCI are regretting not supporting this side of racing and are have a tantrum?

Tom-B
    Free Member

I know that a sports sanctioning body is seemingly supposed to act against the best interests of it’s sport, but the UCI really do take the biscuit!

Would this stop roadies racing local TT’s?! Wiggo et al have often ridden them in the past when at home!

Edit, are local xc series UCI sanctioned? If not, the Elites wont be able to do then if they want to ride the national series!

Mackem

Without knowing all the details and going by the quotes in the article. If they arent sactioned by their local federation and get their own insurance, surely there’s no problem, How likely would it be for local federations to take any action?

fbk
    Free Member

The problem as I see it is, if any professional riders compete in a race not officially sanctioned by UCI/BCF, will be liable to a 1 month ban & fine. There are numerous series (UK Gravity Enduro being an obvious one in this country) that aren’t sanctioned.

edit, having said that, they do appear on the BCF calendar – not sure where that puts them. The World Enduro Series most certainly isn’t sanctioned though.. I guess it depends on how rigorously national bodies enforce the ruling.

lazybike
    Free Member

The UCI must be ready for an Ecclestone type shake up….

wwaswas

Unbelievable. UCI should bd ashamed – blatant protectionism and given their track record managing the sport the worst thing that could happen to the Enduro scene.

Red bull are going to be stuffed too.

MSP

I suspect the plan is not to stop the riders but to get the events all coming under UCI control through the local federations.

I don’t see that standing up to a legal challenge, not within the EU anyway.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Can someone please clarify, is this just for Enduros or cycling as a whole.

ac282

The story I read suggested that it only effected riders registered to UCI pro teams. Not even all pros fit this description.
    I think giant are running two teams to get round this.

andytherocketeer

Since the UCI is one of the monopolistic organisations I loathe the most, I’d happily join a breakaway federation. In fact from the tweet that has been retweeted a lot, I’d join just for the T-shirt…

In response to the UCI…we should start our own federation. We could call it the Federation of Unlicensed Cool Kids Out For Fun.

wwaswas

Ac282 – the article linked is about that route being closed off. Rule now allies to all UCI licence holders.

carlosg
    Free Member

So no UCI riders doing charity races like the Steel City DH?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I think it’s about time, for everyone in the mtb world, to tell the uci, to go **** themselves.
    Actually, all cyclists should tell the uci, to go **** themselves.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/05/uci-responds-usa-cycling-stands-firm-on-rule-1-2-019-sort-of/#more-57847

Bike Rumor has it too. In theory it effects all licensed riders in all races not sanctioned.

vincienup
    Free Member

Silly question, but if the governing body of an organisation that isn’t exactly great for mountain biking in the first place sets out to wreck the scene completely for everyone but themselves, surely it’s time to just start a new and more favourable organisation… ?
    A governing organisation with no membership would have a hard time enforcing silly rules…

Rorschach
    Free Member

As a bcf license holder I’m supposedly not allowed to race road races sanctioned by Tli,Lvrc or even my own clubs tuesday evening TT series!!
    W.T.F 👿

thepodge
    Free Member

4x and enduro need to have a chat to launch their own governing body

Or with all the hype of enduro at the moment dh should consider ruling it’s self

DrP

What’s their stance on the Leith hill mega……?.

DrP

Tom-B
    Free Member

That link confirms that it affects all cyclists. Utter crap. Totally unworkable and just wont happen. How many local CX races are UCI registered? Are riders just to ride the national trophy rounds? Etc etc

svalgis
    Free Member

I suspect the plan is not to stop the riders but to get the events all coming under UCI control through the local federations.

Agreed. I really hope it’ll backfire on them.

Phil_H

So if I have a BC race license I could get a month suspension & a fine for entering a local/non BC sanctioned race?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

This rule only applies to riders holding a UCI licence. If you are a BC member, with a BC racing licence, and you do not race internationally, you can still race anything you like.

If you are a UCI rider licenced through british cycling, or any other national federation, then it will effect you. (so, thats me then.)

wrecker
    Free Member

Will it not give us (well, some of you) lot a chance of winning stuffs instead of the pros cleaning up all the time?
    Forgive me for being a bit ignorant of the racey things but there seems to be no separation between full time athletes and us amateurs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

fbk – Member
    Anyone feel the UCI are regretting not supporting this side of racing and are have a tantrum? a bunch of tools?

Yup.

epicyclo

Is it even legal for them to insist on this?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Wrecker- there is normally an ‘elite’ class for pros so that joe-average can still be in with a chance of winning

br
    Free Member

“No license holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

Well my (logical) reading of that is that as long as an event is in a calendar somewhere or recognised by a federation, a licence holder can ride it.

When you’ve so many ‘or’…

compositepro
    Free Member

Bosman ??

bencooper
    Free Member

The UCI has been holding back and screwing up road cycling since the 1930s – they’re just catching up with MTB. Some of us were predicting that this kind of thing would happen if the UCI were allowed anywhere near MTB.

Best option overall is to let the UCI run the kind of races they really want to run – drug addicts riding 1930s racing bikes over the Alps – and set up a proper professional modern organisation to take care of all the other bikes.

mattjg
    Free Member

What’s their stance on the Leith hill mega……?.

😀 oh god let’s enjoy a couple of months peace before that all kicks off again

igm

Darn! Does that mean I can’t do SSUKG and the TdF this year then?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Best option overall is to let the UCI run the kind of races they really want to run – drug addicts riding 1930s racing bikes over the Alps – and set up a proper professional modern organisation to take care of all the other bikes.

So who is going to fund anti-doping controls in this amazing new UCI-free world? Or do you just think people will not dope when the UCI disappears?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Enter all non UCI sanctioned races under a hilarious psuedonym.

Send their fines on an excrement smeared unsigned check.

I wonder if Peaty will officially change his name to Steve TheUCIcanlickmysweatytaint Peat for his final season. I hope so.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Or do you just think people will not dope when the UCI disappears

‘Cause the UCI are ace at stopping doping, obviously.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Living in Australia we have Mountain Bike Australia which was set up due to the heavy road bias in the sport’s body here. Time for a change.

igm

Can Charlie confirm there will b no performance enchancing drugs at SSUKG this year please.

Pro cycling like much professional sport is often about money, power and politicking. Th UCI position is unsurprising; they basically have. Strong position and want to make it a monopoly position.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

‘Cause the UCI are ace at stopping doping, obviously.

No, the UCI are terrible at stopping doping.

But do you really think a new governing body, set up because Enduro riders and disillusioned mountain bikers don’t like the UCI, is going to have a priority to set up a robust anti-doping program?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Will they ban pros from posting on Strava ? Cos that’s a race…

mattjg
    Free Member

Darn! Does that mean I can’t do SSUKG and the TdF this year then?

Yes, you’re just going to have to choose.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its nothing new to sport. In fact I would have to assume that any BC licence holder would be up to date with issues like this. Anyway it is the same in many sports. If you want to play with the “official” boys you play by their rules. If you don’t want to fine
    Its no big deal actually. If you or I want to ride no one cares.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘UCI clarifies position on ""forbidden races" – Have we done this yet?’ is closed to new replies.