Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Uber finned XT brake pads??? Thoughts
  • jonnyrockymountain

Anyone using these rather than the shimano ones? If so are they any good?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had the race matrix, which were ok to start with, then seemed to go a bit crap. Now trying the sintered inserts, only used once and the juries out. Hoping they quieten down a bit.

jonnyrockymountain

Doesn’t sound promising!!

chambo82
    Free Member

Yep I’m running the race matrix at the minute and they haven’t won me over yet tbh , can’t say I’ve noticed the extra performance and they’ve started squealing aswell now ! Always got on well with the Kevlar version though

devash
    Free Member

Not tried the finned ones but using the regular race matrix at the moment on my front brakes and can also say that they’re a bit “meh”. When there’s even the slightest hint of moisture I have to keep checking that my old Avid Elixirs aren’t still installed.

vincienup
    Free Member

I bought a couple of bikes worth in the sale. Apparently the race matrix is relatively short lived, so once there’s a wider range of inserts I’ll probably explore. Still got standard shimano in until I wear them out so can’t answer from experience. As much as anything else it was the cartridge format that I liked.

Northwind

Can’t speak for the finned ones but I threw my race matrixes in the bin- they were good for a few rides in Scotland, but went mad in the alps, total random braking- no brake for one corner, lock up in the next, pretty deadly. Not a problem I’ve ever had with any normal pad, I fitted some kevlars and carried on like usual, no bother. Anyone who knows me, knows I never throw anything in the bin until it’s worn to invisibility…

The fin thing just seems odd, to me, why not just get brakes that don’t need fins? There doesn’t seem to be a performance benefit really.

jonnyrockymountain

Shimano’s it is then!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I don’t understand Uberbikes feedback on Racematrix, as to me they are wooden, no power and not very good at all. I like the finned insert for normal pads, but don’t really want to buy any more RM pads. I do like Uber stuff, but this is one product which doesn’t meet my expectations to be honest.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Uberbike Race matrix now removed and fitted some Bikefridge semi sintered for a ride tonight. Obviously needed a bit of bedding in, but so far seem to have much more progressive power than the RM pads. Also no noise and seem to have more feel too.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I need some spare pads so what is the consensus? Are these finned pads a novelty item that are more faf to fit and no benefit? Do I get some superstar kevlar or sintered or stick with the manufacturers pads?

MartynS

Uber sintered pads in my XT brakes, not the finned ones.

Brilliant. Powerful, no noise, long lasting, and I ride in the Peak District which isn’t renowned for being easy on pads

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are these finned pads a novelty item that are more faf to fit and no benefit?

Offering much more cooling, do you need more cooling? Unless you are dragging the anchors down long descents it’s probably just overkill.

Northwind

@Rubber, I can’t really see past superstar kevlar- they last alright, they’ve got good reliable performance (better imo than sintered), they heat up less than sintered in hard use… And they’re pretty cheap. I think results can vary from brake to brake but in my The Ones they aren’t just the cheap option, they’re my first choice.

Really not a superstar fan but they have some great stuff.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hmmm, I don’t usually need more cooling but on holiday things will be bigger. I think a job lot of kevlar pads it is.

superfli
    Free Member

Contrary to above,I really rate the uber race matrix pads. Seem to last very well, plenty of power and don’t squeal. Sintered versions I found squealed a lot. I’m on The Ones brakes on both bikes. Not using finned pads.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Uber squealed like nothing else i’ve heard on this earth. Actually thought I was going to go deaf. Emailed them to ask if i’d done something wrong and reply wasn’t overly helpful.

Chucked them in the bin and bought Superstar sintered and never looked back. Not a fan of SS stuff usually but can’t fault the pads.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m finding the sintered inserts much better than the race matrix.

Tracey

Been using the race matrix for a couple of years including extended holidays in the Alps and throughout the winter in the Peak. Got them in five of our bikes and they have been first class. Not used the finned ones yet but will be once we need to change the pads

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I can only see my Matrix pads going nowhere near my bikes now. The bikefridge pads , semi sintered after the weekend and 2 rides totalling 50 or so miles, have given me brakes that don’t squeal, eat the rotors of do nothing. Ones I have tried since getting the bike are:

Standard Avid pads – Squealing like crazy, not much power, but new discs and brakes.
    Clarks Sintered- Noisy and grinding the discs into submission. Not that great
    Ubers Matrix – Wooden, no feel and least friction.
    Bikefridge- Silent and a lot more power than any of the above.

They aren’t anyway as powerful amongst the Shimano brakes on my other bikes at all, but having some brakes is far better than none at all.

scruff
    Free Member

I have Race Matrix in my XTs, they dont work very well and do a chewbacca when cold. They do work alot better when theyve been warmed up by a decent brake drag.

I wont buy any more.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Are bike fridge discobrakes?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Are bike fridge discobrakes?

Yes they are. Just thought I would try them. I used their red ceramics in the past , coming down Snowdon and everyone could smell burning, as I dragged my feet to slow down 8O, so they went in the bin, but for everyday riding so far the semi sintered seem to be holding up for me.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

In my experience there is something about shimano finned pads in either compound that just works better in Shimano brakes than any of these cheapo own label things. They cost a lot more but I think it’s worth it as they wear a lot better (longer lastng) and perform better

pk13

Mine are fine on both bikes no better or worse than the other manf

tmb467
    Free Member

Had unfinned RM in Hope M4s and they were great 18 months ago

Now got finned RM in my T1s and they’re just as good. Noisy when cold but I’ve bedded em in and I can stop both wheels with a finger.

I’ll watch out for ‘wooden-ness’ and may try SS kevlars on the back of what’s been said here too but may equally try unfinned RM again. Agree that I probably don’t need fins tho but it its a new thing and I didn’t want to be left out again!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Uber finned XT brake pads??? Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.