Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • U9 football, i did'nt think it could get worse…
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

… but it did!

a while back, in disbelief, i posted this…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fuming-after-under-9s-football-match-kind-of-dilema

… well, even though my boy is in the process of joining the local rugby club, who’s training i am very impressed with, he wants to see the football season out.

so after the last match, that prompted my original thread, once again against said team where they were this time deliberately going in studs up at ankles in tackles, and in one instance, if front of their parents, kicked a kid who was on the ground i really did’nt think it could get worse.

it did.

today, a kid took a knock. turned round jumped on the offending player. wrestled him to the ground and, no joke, put his arm around his neck and tried to strangle him!

gets better… it was in front of his parents who did nothing.

seriously, if this is grass roots fotball and these kids are allowed by parents and the ref to do this what hope is there!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

your not alone, my mate has nearly got into scraps himself with parents of players in his sons team! I blame the modern game today and a generally more violent society. oh also crap parenting.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my mate has nearly got into scraps himself with parents of players in his sons team

erm, well, erm, i left that bit out. but came close myself today with an utter gobshite, a parent not a coach – infact the guy has never once been to a training session, who decided it would be a good idea to yell at my kid…. and believe me i’m not a precious parent, if my kid was being a dick or not playing well i’d have been yelling even louder.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What you could do, instead of doing nothing then ranting on an internet forum about it, is take a video cam and film incidents such as this, then forward it to the local league/FA etc. I’m sure that persistent behaviour like that from one team won’t be tolerated, if enough complaints and evidence are presented.

That would then hopefully prevent further violence and send a message that such behaviour won’t be tolerated. By merely walking away from it, you’re not helping any of the other kids who just want to play footy.

RealMan
    Free Member

I was down the bmx track today, and there was a kid there who I think wasn’t even 4 yet. He was having a great time. He’d pedal like mad down the start gate, get a bit of air off the first kicker (which unfortunately was a double), land on the next one and wobble all over the place, and either regain his balance and carry on, or more often then not, fall off fairly hard. Then he’d cry a little, his parents would pick him up, and within 20 seconds he was wanting another go.

Some kids are great. Some parents are great.

bellys
    Free Member

Been there and seen it. My son stopped playing last year at 16 as he was fed up of lads just looking to fight all the time
    Last season he had a parent try to slap him as he ran down the line my lad turned round and dropped him in front off every body. It’s not a nice thing to see. Bloke must have been gutted taking a slap from a 15yr old lad in front of his kids.

When the ref stopped play the bloke said he wanted the police lol when they turned up the ref told them he seen the bloke hit out at my lad and he got told to leave and not come back.

The scary thing is he was playing in open age team before he stopped and blokes pissed up from local pub teams were just as bad.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is there any option for non-competitve football? I know it all sounds a bit liberal lefty but it seems as soon as there is the potential for a 4th division(southern section) runners up cup then people start behaving like idiots. I gave up playing any kind of league because of this. Now I just play with a mixed group, who ever turns up plays, all ages, all skill levels. We always have a good game.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As soon as my nephews started playing competitive football my sister and brother-in-law turned into nutcases. 😐

Nick

Watched my 8 year old son play his first game for the local team today,it was a very well behaved and cordial affair with none of the histrionics experienced by others on this thread 🙂

voodoo_chile

My lad played in a few local leagues in Liverpool under 14 now but from aged 8 there has been some real crazy times , a lot of females watching kids now and they seem to egg on the goading and swearing which normally ends up with fighting
    in my opinion amateur football has lost it , local leagues are governed by the FA and tighten up on swearing ,pitch encroachment and teamsheets and let the bad things go like fullscale 11 on 11 scraps plus spectators ,horrendous waist height 2 footed tackles ……FA for you ,run by tools

matt_outandabout

Our kids joined the golf club junior training here (it is about the only sports stuff without traveling 25 miles). One thing I really like about it is the standards they expect of the kids – on time, clubs ready from the store, speaking nicely and positively etc. Any disrespect, tardiness etc means a suspension for a week.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

^This (VC) has been the case for years. I don’t have kids myself, but I’m steering my Godson towards challenging himself, rock climbing, MTB and stuff like that. Middle class kids stuff I suppose, certainly you don’t have to endure swearing and abuse at a climbing wall, he’s doing his NICAS (national indoor climbing certificate) starting next Saturday.

voodoo_chile

my lad has a few talents also but i would hate him to play again even though he is close to open age in a few years time because of the amount of nutters out there, some of the things i have witnessed and heard happen on the pitch and surrounding area are wrong ,i love the game but the people involved in it are clueless now .

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

My son is getting steered away from the shallow end of the gene pool, no good can come from mixing with dirty chavs. (except possibly a lucrative premiership team contract maybe)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Look at the “role models” in the premiership.

brakes
    Free Member

I played Sunday league 11-a-side for 6 years as a kid in the early 90s – it was exactly the same back then.
    worst team I ever played against was when we went ‘on tour’ to the Lakes and played Kendal. Absolute lunatics.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Look at the “role models” in the premiership.

Deep.

CHB

Football is a horrid sport, played by thugs and watched (and paid for) by idiots.

😈

voodoo_chile

watched by idiots , mainly true but enjoyed by few great game easily spoilt , you cannot beat a well executed set piece or great team performance ..it is very easy for the great things to be eclipsed by bollox

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

CFH Someone who only ever drank a 1/2 pint of Old Peculiar could be seen as a role model I suppose. Moderation etc

warton
    Free Member

Football is a horrid sport, played by thugs and watched (and paid for) by idiots.

I’ve played Northern League football and have had a season ticket at Newcastle united, and I’m neither of the above…

promised I wouldn’t feed the troll, but I couldn’t resist 😀

CHB

Football as a game can be very graceful and spectacular, unfortunately for me this is massively overshadowed by the fact that in the UK it also represents much of the worst of our culture.
    The behaviour of the players (many of them), the behaviour of the fans (a small minority) and the fact that the whole thing is driven by greed turns me off in a big way.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This is actually true. Every single person I’ve ever played with is a thug, and every single person I know who enjoys watching the game is an idiot.

Well, I mean I’ve bin known to make the odd ‘clumsy’ challenge (ahem), and I am an idiot, so it must be true.

Mussunt it?

Oh I don’t know it’s all too confuddling. 😥

scaredypants

Pub/Sunday footy is possibly THE most ill-tempered, nasty sport known to humankind. I played one season, maybe 15 matches and “my” team saw 3 broken legs, 1 jaw (punch as they went for a cross) and plenty of injuries that kept lads out for weeks.

All of these were the result of deliberate fouls. The lower the standard of play, the higher the studs. One guy in a game I was watching walked the length of the touchline offering a fight to every spectator too, after we cheered a goal 🙄

Would be a real shame if kids footy went the same way.

I like Effin’s suggestion of videoing it – you’d prob get battered for being a nonce though !

voodoo_chile

scaredy , it already is like that

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

What you could do, instead of doing nothing then ranting on an internet forum about it, is take a video cam and film incidents such as this, then forward it to the local league/FA etc.

but what would the fun be in that, seriously? far better to post it on here and get a mix of agreement, banter and argument!

duckman

As an ex Sunday amateur (pub) footballer in the Dundee district leagues the above makes me all nostalgic. May I apologise for the two seasons I played right back for Lochee Hibs to anybody who I played against.In my defence I was a pretty handy rugby player on the Saturday who was not that great at footy tackle related timing.I just used to shift my 16 stone as fast as I could and slide into the ball from about 6 feet.But it was much dirtier than the rugby on a Sat on the whole.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘U9 football, i did'nt think it could get worse…’ is closed to new replies.