Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • U2 – BBC Roof…..
  • djglover
    Free Member

I wiped snot on a picture of bonos face to make me feel better.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

‘The Joshua Tree’ was the last good album U2 did though ‘Under a Blood Red Sky’ was arguably their best. Since then they have descended into blandness with a large side-helping of preachiness and irony.
    Such a shame as once upon a time they were really good.

john_l
    Free Member

Not as good as the Streets have no Name on top of that other building, but still very enjoyable.

Reluctant
    Free Member

U2 irritate the tits off me too. They first came to my attention when “Gloria” was on the local pub juke box (’79/80?) and i’ve disliked them ever since. I just fail to see any merit in their music, and really don’t understand what it is that people like about them. But that’s art i guess, difficult to quantify – you either get it or you don’t.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I find it strange and quite sad that people get so worked up by hating certain bands. Is it jealousy? Or an inferioty complex?

I’m not a fan of U2 , although I do like some of their stuff, but I sort of get why some might like them.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

These guys were much better on the roof…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What? How do you know what my parents were saying 30 years ago? I take it you mean my folks thought the above bands were shite when they were current? …which would be incorrect.

Semantics dear boy, no need to get so wound up when you know what I meant. Of course I don’t mean “your” parents per se, I mean your current parents generation who hated all your classic rock and were horrified at the thought of music moving on from the days of the Brat Pack. If your folks liked it, then fair dues, they were cool…so what happened to you?

All modern music is rubbish….I ask you…how ridiculous!

barca
    Free Member

Dear oh dear….It’s just entertainment. Not a religion, not a life philosophy.
    Rude And Serially Unable To Spell Correctly Boy, are you vertically challenged? You do come across as a very angry boy. 20 moans, rants or toxic word vomits a day on here, at least.
    Calm down man and give spell checker a chance to do its thing. Spell checker is your friend. Little people AND big people can be your friend as well.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

….are you vertically challenged?

Lol, ‘small man syndrome’.

Ewan
    Free Member

Q: Why did Bono fall off the stage?
    A: He was too close to The Edge.

Bono is a nobber.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

deadlydarcy –
    All modern music is rubbish….I ask you…how ridiculous!

Most. I said most. It’s a different word but it’s important. I stand by it too. The vast majority of music being released at the minute is dire. There are only a handful of bands/musicians releasing good music. In my opinion.

If you love everything more power to you. Perhaps I just have better taste than you.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well done barca; give yourself a little at on the back for that one; very good! Well done! Here, have a sweetie. And maybe a little lie down? You mustuv tired yourself out.

Maybe I should listen to U2, and descend into blandness myself…

Djglover; I dread to think what you might wipe on a picture of the Lovely Debbie McGee…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Most. I said most. It’s a different word but it’s important.

Still ridiculous though…at any given time some current music is rubbish; “some” being the operative word there (just in case you misunderstand again)

The vast majority of music being released at the minute is dire.

Many would say, musically, we’ve never had it so good…there are buckets of good stuff around at the moment, yes, there’s a lot of shite too (there always was, even in “your” day), but no matter what you’re into it’s out there and in massive amounts. There are loads of bands writing their own stuff, playing their instruments and doing it very well. I thought I was “with it” musically, then read the OMM top 50 albums of 2008 and realised that I hadn’t even heard of half of them. It encouraged me to go and listen to even more of the new stuff. You know what, some of it is bloody excellent. Bands tour more than they ever did when they could rely on singles and album sales for revenue. The record companies are losing their stranglehold on the industry meaning that newer stuff is reaching listening audiences faster than ever before. Music evolves, sometimes there are revivals of old school rock, hip-hop, disco, punk/new wave and each revival brings the new stuff to younger ears who want to know the inflences and go back and listen to the old stuff.

If you love everything more power to you. Perhaps I just have better taste than you.

Or maybe you’re just not being open-minded enough. The day I hear myself saying “most modern music is rubbish, it was so much better in my day, all the classic stuff, blah blah blah…” will be a sad one. We’re spoiled for choice musically in 2009 and if you can’t see that…

SammySammSamm
    As such, hopefully they’ll go away eventually.

Sorry dude, they won’t anytime soon…but I’m sure some of the hip music you’re playing in your halls will…

sam42
    Free Member

Thanks to the unique way the bbc is funded by the license fee they are able to subject me and you to endless self promotion about a crazy subversive rooftop gig by a band that at best only 15% of their audience are interested in…
    and as for “secret rooftop gig” they’ve been banging on about them on radio 1 for two weeks. the entire thing’s a massive snooze-fest and bono is a goon, fact.

frenchie
    Free Member

Who buys their albums then? They are huge worldwide, someone out their rates them.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So do Britney Spears, Lily Allen and the Sugarcat Babe Doll things, and they’re all shite. Album sales does not in any way necessarily equate to a band being great. Just proves that clever marketing/promotion works. Like banging on about poverty etc…

The Sun is Britain’s bestselling newspaper. Does that make it any good?

kona_uk
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of u2, I like their music, I listen to them a lot.

I tend to ignore all the politics and stories about them, they just make good music, IMO.

We all have different taste’s and that’s what it’s all about, different people, different music, different opinions etc.

This is not a comparison between u2 and the The Beatles, but I CANT stand The Beatles, I think they are crap, over rated shite! But that’s just my view/opinion and I am sure I will get jumped on for saying the The Beatles are crap!

🙂

Sonor
    Free Member

Album sales does not in any way necessarily equate to a band being great. Just proves that clever marketing/promotion works. Like banging on about poverty etc…

What a load of B*llox. You could get away with that for one or two albums, but after that you really see how creative a band is and no amount of marketing/promotion can polish a turd. That is why so many bands disappear.

The are a great band, they will be around for a long time to come and it I’m pleased it upsets some of you. 😀

Jealousy is a cruel mistress.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Look! The Emperor is naked!

If it floats your boat, fine.

It don’t do owt for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Sun is Britain’s bestselling newspaper.Does that make it any good

Maybe not, but unfortunately, it makes it relevant

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So are the Sugarcoated Whores etc ‘relevant’?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I will get jumped on for saying the The Beatles are crap

And so you should. I don’t care for them myself nor do I own any of their music, but saying they’re crap (and then qualifying it with “in my opinion”) is just nonsense. You don’t like them…that is a fact. But saying they’re crap? Nope, you’re wrong.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Steady on there RudeBoy, I’m not going to get drawn into one of your many little fights on here…unfortunately, yes they are, if they’re selling enough music to make the charts one song after another then yep, somebody is buying it in enough quantity. Of course, we can all sit in our musical ivory towers and pronounce from on high that they’re shite, but relevant ? good, just in case you misunderstood

hora
    Free Member

In a nice way I thought U2 disapeared up their own arse in the 90’s. They’ve been on comeback tours since then. Can’t they just give up and admit that their sound is abit dated now?

U2 trying to create a ‘buzz’ is abit lame.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I don’t have ‘fights’; I am always right, and unenlightened folk disagree with me occasionally! 😀

I see what you’re saying. Like how McDonalds are ‘relevant’ in the global food production market, as they are hugely powerful and influental, yet they don’t produce owt of any real nutritional substance.

I think if Bono and U2 dropped the preachy holy moly attitude, and just concentrated on selling records, they would be less hated.

But they would sell a shit load less records, I’m sure…

kona_uk
    Free Member

And so you should. I don’t care for them myself nor do I own any of their music, but saying they’re crap (and then qualifying it with “in my opinion”) is just nonsense. You don’t like them…that is a fact. But saying they’re crap? Nope, you’re wrong.

I dont like or dislike them, I just think the music is rubbish, its not nonsense, its my view and opinion. Its not a case of being right or wrong 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Likes some of their old stuff but haven’t liked anything for many years, and Bono is very annoying. Heard a bit of the gig though and it sounded pretty good.

Mat

Keep thinking the new one sounds like pump it up by Elvis Costello so I ‘tubed it to check and found this:
    Pump it up
    was disappointed to find it wasn’t a witty mix between the two.

at least they’ve stopped doing altitude related stuff, vertigo, elevation etc…

doesn’t do anything for me afraid, blandy blandness

emac65
    Free Member

U2 have shifted shit loads of records,have world tours that sell out in an hour or two & have been doing this for the past 30 years or so.
    30 people on STW think they are crap,I bet they’re really worried,lol
    Eejits…… 😆

barca
    Free Member

Hells teeth Rude And Serially Unable To Spell Correctly Boy, do you ever see eye to eye with anybody? Not even if they sit down?

Ok, I’ll let it go now.

Sonor
    Free Member

Look! The Emperor is naked!

If it floats your boat, fine.

It don’t do owt for me.

Are you sure it doesn’t do owt for you? Usually the biggest haters of something are really closet lovers… 😉

kimbers

U2 love em or hate em are a world wide success story.

so is aids, 40 million and still rising

akira

Shock news just in, some people like U2 and some people don’t.
    Meh!…….

sodafarls
    Free Member

U2= dull unimaginative music for dull unimaginative people who are still chasing the coattails of a fad they were peripheral to in their youth.

Poindexter
    Free Member

I watched the gig on the red button today, I’m not at all impressed with their new stuff but I thought it was a very powerful performance.

I guess it’s the fact that the Bonio, love him or loathe him, has so much more charisma than most that makes him such a commanding stage presence.

People like Rudepaddedbraindibnah have an instinctive loathing of charismatic people, tall people too. And successful people. And people who can spell. Not to mention people that can wipe the floor with them in a bout of verbal swordplay…

It’s an envy thang. 😉

FWIW, I still think With or Without You is one of the finest songs ever written (though I prefer Keane’s version in the Live Lounge) and Streets Have No Names has to be one of the best intros ever.

rickmeister

Who is talking to presidents, fronting up to governments, putting dollars where his mouth is, making albums that people buy where cash is recycled to do good stuff in Africa and change opinions….?

Think you can do better? Or even match them on global reach? Step on up…. As irritating as they may be to some, on balance its got to be positive. When was the last time anyone of us looked world leaders in the eye and challenged them on backtracking on agreements they made to support Africa?

Bono may in the eyes of some be a PITA, but he is still around after many years, making music, rattling cages, making a difference. Just like Geldoff and many others who are prepared to be, at some point, uncomfortably unreasonable.

We need more people that provoke passionate opinion…. Bring it on….

Oxboy
    Free Member

The more I see of Bono and the Edge on interviews the more I cant stand them, Bono as someone has rightly pointed out is tightly wedged up his own arse and I really wish the Edge would give up the guitar, I mean if he hasnt grasped it by now he never will!
    Just an overhyped bunch of big headed kents if you ask me.

Oh and another thing Bono wants us to write off third world debt with our hard earned taxes yet he tries to snaffle as much of his own cash off shore to swerve paying said tax. W*nker!

sodafarls
    Free Member

putting dollars where his mouth is

Whose dollars? his own? the last I heard, he was sucking up to this cabal and making sure to avoid paying tax in his own beloved Ireland by removing his “operations” to Holland, whilst lecturing the rest of us on how to “care”.

When was the last time anyone of us looked world leaders in the eye and challenged them on backtracking on agreements they made to support Africa?

When was the last time Boner upset the applecart and admitted that the IMF is nowt but a bully boy and leverage tool for the western powers that be to make even more cash from developing nations and impose conditions on the loans that will ensure needy nation’s servitude into perpetuity? That’s right, he would prefer to work within the current system, as it suits….him.

It’s an envy thang

Or pity, were one charitable…

And U2 are really, really dull, as a band. Just not very good.

Soup
    Free Member

3 hours of them on TMF at the mo.

martinxyz
    Free Member

“U2 – totally awesome,you can certainly see why they are the biggest band in the world…………….”

I cant.

Just because something is the biggest doesnt mean to say its the best. i liked The Fly and Mysterious ways but thats it.its the same old crap with them.. and as i read a magazine last night i had J.Ross on in the background. I heard some group come on and wondered who it was.. first thing i heard was what i thought was an american accent. was that just me? ::makes wanka jesture to U2:::

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘U2 – BBC Roof…..’ is closed to new replies.