• This topic has 62 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mm93.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • U2 at Abbey Road now BBC1
  • Swelper
    Free Member

Impressive stuff

scruff9252

I’d rather pour molten candlewax into my inner ear canal than listen to the arsehole Bono prance about with his insipid pop rock.

Drac

Thanks for the heads up I’ll not change over to BBC 1.

I’d rather shit a pineapple.

andy4d

Vastly over rated IMO. couple of catchy tunes but he comes across as a ****

kayak23

So how’s the thread going for you so far op? 😆

Drac

“Let’s end world poverty”

Yeah **** off Bono.

jamj1974

Well, I’m enjoying it OP.

Here’s a pointer for those that obviously need a little simple guidance. Look at the title and if it doesn’t interest you – scroll down to another topic. Bit better than childish attention seeking.

And no, I don’t agree with how they manage their personal and corporate tax affairs. It stinks.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cheers for the warning.

salad_dodger

Enjoyed that. Great band but it’s become fashionable to hate them. Been a fan since the early 80’s and still enjoy almost everything they put out.

jamj1974

OP there are some extra tracks on YouTube – All I Want Is You is definitely there.

Swelper
    Free Member

I enjoyed that. It’s about the music not the personality.

Swelper
    Free Member

Cheers janj nice find 🙂

mattyfez

Bono was rated at 80 Courics in 2007.

Has the figure been reviewed recently?

SaxonRider

Enjoyed that. Great band but it’s become fashionable to hate them. Been a fan since the early 80’s and still enjoy almost everything they put out.

I agree with you, salad_dodger. I think they should have retired after Zooropa, but the fact is, they were momentous in the 1980s. Not the best; just momentous.

I personally don’t hate them now; I just lost interest some years ago. And that was from having been the world’s biggest fan from about 1983 on. I mean, their performances at the US Festival, the Amnesty Conspiracy of Hope Tour, and Live Aid, were amazing!

kelvin

I watched the first two songs, which were good, but couldn’t stomach any more ‘chat with Cat’… so turned over.

jimster01

Quite enjoyed that, a bit too much chat, but killed an hour quite nicely.

Can recommend the YouTube clip of All I Want

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not been good since about 1992. And Bono is an odious little man of th very highest order

simondbarnes

I liked it.

Drac

Here’s a pointer for those that obviously need a little simple guidance. Look at the title and if it doesn’t interest you – scroll down to another topic. Bit better than childish attention seeking.

The title invited people to discuss their feeling on U2 which they have.

alpin
    Free Member

what’s the difference between God and Bono?

God doesn’t walk around Dublin thinking he’s Bono.

johndoh
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

^^^ this

jamj1974

No, I’ll think you’ll find it was simply letting people know something of interest to a certain audience was on the BBC. The thread title is:
    ”U2 at Abbey Road now BBC1”[/i]

That is significantly different from your imagined title Drac:
    ”Hey, I’m looking for opinions on U2, does anyone want to chip in”[/i]

It would be great if you could illustrate why a thread that is basically a PSA is somehow a thread where the OP is asking someone to criticise their taste. I’ll save you the trouble though – because you cannot.

If you are going to challenge what I’ve said – at least try and have a reasonable basis. Or, don’t pretend someone is asking for opinion when they clearly were not and say openly that you just fancy pissing on someone else’s chips.

neilthewheel

It was indeed a PSA and I just dropped in to say “thanks for the warning”.

Drac

That is significantly different from your imagined title Drac:
    ”Hey, I’m looking for opinions on U2, does anyone want to chip in”

I can’t see the bit that says “U2 fans only thread, non fans don’t read”

colp

I enjoyed it, thanks for the PSA. Well said jamj1974

DezB
    Free Member

don’t pretend someone is asking for opinion when they clearly were not and say openly that you just fancy pissing on someone else’s chips.

You must be new here. And to the internet as a whole? Post anybloodything you get opinions. Especially on STW and especially when it comes to music/religion/cars/bikes/food/er, well everything really.
    U2 are shit by the way. 😆

edlong
    Free Member

My opinion: It wasn’t very good.

Not a U2 hater, but I think as a band they’re built for massive shows and do that very well. Conversely, they’re not best equipped for more “intimate” performances and they didn’t come across brilliantly.

Not a criticism per se – there are loads of bands that are better at one than the other out there. U2 are one of them imho.

Apologies Up yours to anyone upset at having / expressing an opinion.

Merak

I didn’t listen. I don’t hate them. Everything other than Achtung Baby can ram it.

rOcKeTdOg

last time i watched U2 live was on The Tube introduced by Paula Yates, Bono looks older

jamj1974

This place can be fantastic, sublime even. The knowledge, input and support can be second to none.

Then you get threads like this where the OP was only trying to give a heads up to people with similar taste and the hordes arrive just to basically say to the guy:
    “Your taste is shit – mines a lot better”.

Frankly, it doesn’t matter what the original subject of the thread was, there’s no real point to coming onto it just to say you don’t like something – well not unless your self-confidence is that low you have to attack others to feel good about yourselves. It’s all a bit pathetic.

Up yours to anyone upset at having / expressing an opinion.

With that attitude, it’s not surprising your parents don’t let you have the Wi-fi password very often.

onewheelgood

Not a massive fan myself, but owg jnr. was in the choir. He said they seemed to be nice enough blokes during the two days filming this at Abbey Road.

RustySpanner

Swelper – Member
    I enjoyed that. It’s about the music not the personality.

Same with all art, innit?
    Once it’s out there the artist is irrelevant.
    It’s about your reaction.
    That’s all that counts.

It’s all just noise.
    Some you like, some you don’t.
    I couldn’t care less if Bono is a bellend or if Mozart didn’t clean out his rabbits.

And because it’s all subjective, everyone’s views are equally true and equally valid.

The only limitations are the ones you impose on yourself.
    🙂

DezB
    Free Member

That’s **** beautiful Rusty x 😀

“Your taste is shit – mines a lot better”

Actually: “Your taste is different to mine”

Stainypants

U2 have made three of my favourite albums of all time Acting Baby and Zoopropa I still play regulatly. But haven’t they haven’t been relevant for a long time.

It was nice to see they
    acknowledged the huge debt they owed to Joy Division during With or Without You

trailwagger
    Free Member

U2 have made three of my favourite albums of all time Acting Baby and Zoopropa I still play regulatly.

Get your calculator back out 😀

Drac

“Your taste is shit – mines a lot better”.

I think you imagined that was said.

People expressed an opinion about U2 in a thread about U2 that’s how conversation works.

Stainypants

I don’t play the Joshua Tree any
    more since I wore my cassette copy out in about 1989.

Those other two are brilliant and if they weren’t made by U2 would be even more acclaimed. It probably the only time they’ve sounded original in their existance.

When they came back after Pop and Passenger’s their albums sounded like the albums that Brian Eno had been making with James.

It’s one thing copying Joy Division for 10 years but copying James is scrapping the barrel.

Nico
    Free Member

Mozart didn’t clean out his rabbits

No smoke without fire.

jamj1974

I think you imagined that was said.

People expressed an opinion about U2 in a thread about U2 that’s how conversation works

No, I did not imagine it. Clearly you are having trouble looking at this objectively.

The OP started a conversation alerting people to an event they may be interested in. Then a group of people including yourself took that as an opportunity to air your negative opinions – which were irrelevant to the original conversation. That’s not how conversation works. It’s how a bunch of people believe their opinion to be so important that they change a conversation to be about themselves and their feelings.

If you don’t like U2 – start a thread about it and I’m sure the OP will leave it alone.

trailwagger
    Free Member

No, I did not imagine it. Clearly you are having trouble looking at this objectively.
    The OP started a conversation alerting people to an event they may be interested in. Then a group of people including yourself took that as an opportunity to air your negative opinions – which were irrelevant to the original conversation. That’s not how conversation works. It’s how a bunch of people believe their opinion to be so important that they change a conversation to be about themselves and their feelings.
    If you don’t like U2 – start a thread about it and I’m sure the OP will leave it alone.

Wow, calm down.. its just the internet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘U2 at Abbey Road now BBC1’ is closed to new replies.