Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • U lock buying advice (fixie content)
  • v666ern
    Free Member

hey all
    need to buy a U lock for my langster…any suggestions…budget under £40

current choice

planet x

thomthumb
    Free Member

that looks thin to me. i like kryptonite stuff.

z1ppy

I noticed in Sainsburys last friday, they are selling a U-lock that looks just like my Oxford Magnum (£50) for £9. the shapes the same, keys are the same shape.. seems I’m not the only person to notice either (I’m just slower)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17226733

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks quite a good buy but I would spend more than that on something more substantial. 16 mm shackle at least to stop bolt croppers.

abus granit?

simon_g
    Junkyard
    Free Member

you need to factor in weight as well my 18 mm New York forgetabboutit D lock weighs over 2 kg- not that great for commuting duties due to weight penalty tbh

v666ern
    Free Member

Simon_G THAT is one comprehensive list 😯

Gonna have a look and see what the saino’s ones are like at lunch i think sainos

after having a new rockhopper pinched from inside work with a fat @ss cable lock on it the local plod suggested U locks as the only things that will stop most tea leafs round here…

thomthumb
    Free Member

get two – one for rear wheel and frame one for front wheel.

make sure the lock is the prongs are side by side (ie round the seat tube not the top tube) as this should stop bottle jacks.

i’d be v. wary of the sainsburys one. it might look just like the real thing but is it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kryptonie for me here too, most of the locks at my work building are.

Tasso
    Free Member

Spent a bit extra and got the New York fahgeddaboutit mini (and a cable for the front wheel)that came top in that test. It stays locked at work due to the significant heft but I don’t worry about leaving any of my bikes locked up there during the day because of it. Effectively all the other locked up bikes around it become the easy targets.

Only just clears the stays of my Roadrat and the sheffield stand but would be a right arse to get any tools into a position where it could be broken.

v666ern
    Free Member

Well im lucky with the langster in that nothing on it is quick release!

Have bought the saino’s one at £8.50…may be good VFM – lets hope i never have to find out!

My equation of (now) safe place at work to park x cost of bike x chance of theft divided by cost of bike = the saino’s one should work out ok…not quite 10% of the bike value but not far off!

Cheers All

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘U lock buying advice (fixie content)’ is closed to new replies.