Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • U-534 U Boat/Birkenhead- worth a trip/day in Liverpool?
  • hora
    Free Member

Anyone been to see the U-534? Is it worth the 2hr trip each way if tied in with a visit to Liverpool centre? don’t think I’ve ever been to Liverpool other than a trip on the Mersey with school.

thehustler
    Free Member

Not sure on the one in your pic, but there is one on the Birkenhead side you can go in/around.

Yesterday was the day for visiting as they had the ‘Three Queens’ Elizabeth Mary2 and Victoria outside the cunard building, first time and probably the last all three have been in the same place.

hora
    Free Member

Thats before it was cut into three sections for viewing

plyphon
    Free Member

HMS Alliance is in Portsmouth, and is a great day out if you’re into naval stuff. I’d like to see a u-boat for sure.

binners

2 hours to get there? Are you going via the Lake District?

The enigma machines and stuff they’ve got in is really interesting. I do this regularly with the kids. Make a day of it. Not like theres a shortage of stuff to do in Liverpool as well, is there?

Park at Albert Dock, maybe have a mosey round the Tate, get the ferriiiiiiiiiie cross deeeer Meeeeeerseeeeeeeeeeeeey over there, and catch the Wallace and Gromit exhibition at Spaceport too. The girls love it there)

hora
    Free Member

2 hours to get there? Are you going via the Lake District?

How dare you poo-poo my virile and manly driving skills. I typed into google ‘get me to that there Wirral’ and thats what it cameback with

rockhopper70

I took my day, it was OK. You cant get into to the boat but there is perspex over the slices so you can see in.
    I wouldnt think it was worth a specific trip for just that (1 1/2 hours for me), but with other attractions, certainly part of a bigger day,
    By the way, the cafe in the ferry terminal is very good.

project
    Free Member

Travel down M53,j1,seacombe ferry, free parking, get a family ticket,and visit spaceport, mersey ferries to liverpool and birkenhead, and u boat story alli n the price of the ticket, wander round albert dock, two museumns next to ferry terminal, then shops at liverpool one and then ferry back to seacombe

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk
    http://www.u-boatstory.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

hora
    Free Member

Ooo good idea thank you. 😀

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

We cut that into sections, will see if I can dig out some pics later on tonight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its ok but best done with the ferry – if you must drive do as above and park for free on the Wirral side

Its was moderately interesting for a few hours

hora
    Free Member

Would love to see em. Was the diamond cutter really a Bond villian laser? 8)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Worth a visit and we enjoyed it but then again it’s only 30 minutes from ours. Not worth a 2 hour drive if that’s all you see.

As others have said make it part of a bigger day out. Stacks to see around Liverpool.

colp

The cafe in the ferry terminal is called home and does a good eggs benedict.
    Great view back over to Liverpool waterfront.

project
    Free Member

Also while outside woodside terminal home of the uboat story, wander to the right and round the corner to see a memorial to ladies and children first,and how the nautical term came about and a few feet further on 2 more memorials to the war dead,theres also a huge ventilation tower for the MERSEY road tunnel there is also a wooden mockup of Thetis, a first sub ever built, then to the left viewing windows of the outside of the sub, the site of woodside railway station, and just up the hill is Hamilton Square a listed victorian square along with Hamilton Square station, so much to see and so much to enjoy.

maxtorque

Best game when visiting ex mil naval stuff like Uboats and HMS Belfast etc is to listen to visitors banging their heads on all the sticky out plumbing etc! (seriously, if you stand quietly for a min, you’ll hear at least 5 “OW, ****, that hurt” exclamations from inside the bowels of said vessels 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘U-534 U Boat/Birkenhead- worth a trip/day in Liverpool?’ is closed to new replies.