Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyrrwhit vs Lewin
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Having owned 5 Lewin shirts for the last 3 years, I’ve just got 4 Tyrrwhit shirts and I can now compare.

I have to say that Tyrrwhit beats Lewin hands down. Well, almost.

They have way more choice, especially in non-iron. Not only in colours and patterns but you also get a choice of fabric weave, which is nice. They also let you choose arm length. The choice has allowed me to pick shirts that will work both casual and smart. I got to pick the cuffs too which I didn’t in Lewin.

The fabric is lighter, which might make it less durable, but it should be a blessing in the summer. My Lewin non-iron shirts are awful thick.

The fit is somewhat better for me in Lewin – this extra slim Tyrrwhit shirt still has a fair bit of room on the waist, but the arms are a little tight. I wouldn’t be able to get a good aero tuck on the time trail bike wearing this, whereas I would in the Lewin.

If these last as well as Lewin and genuinely don’t need ironing, then I’m sold.

IHN

My one Lewin non iron shirt
    – needs to be ironed
    – is more difficult to iron than normal shirts
    – looks creased to buggery after an hour’s wear

Apart from that, it’s great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lewin stopped being good about ten years ago.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

My non-iron shirts do look creased when you wash them, but the creases disappear when you wear them. If you iron them then the finish is gone and it’s back to being a normal shirt.

Non iron shirts don’t look crisp and freshly ironed all the time, but they are JUST good enough not to look like you haven’t ironed them, after you put it on. That’s good enough for me.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Tyrwhitt sizing is “generous” compared to Lewin. Having shed a fair bit of weight this year even the extra slim Turrwhit shirt is baggy whereas the fully fitted Lewin is much neater and the super fitted neater again.

Personally I’ve never found ironing to be that much of a chore to bother with non iron shirts.

mudshark
    Free Member

Tyrwhitt need to add a cycling fit size – I find the extra slim too baggy too.

winston
    Free Member

Lewin’s are for ’emergency shirt’ shopping only. Have been for years.
    Tyrwhitts have some ok shirts but you have to pick carefully – but at least they do button cuffs as I hate hate hate cufflinks
    I used to buy Roderick Charles but I think they have gone rubbish recently too.

scaredypants

this extra slim Tyrrwhit shirt still has a fair bit of room on the waist, but the arms are a little tight

the front of my trousers is a bit “snug” right now moly ! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Tyrwhitt need to add a cycling fit size

Yes.. tbh I’d be uncomfortable on the drops in this – not that’s likely to be an issue mind, I think I’d be ok on the commuter.

scaredypants – tart.

Personally I’ve never found ironing to be that much of a chore to bother with non iron shirts.

It’s the very definition of a chore to me, and even more so when I travel which is basically every time I need shirts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyrrwhit vs Lewin’ is closed to new replies.