Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tyres.. What to run on the rear?
  • bolt7
    Free Member

Over the winter I decided to replace my wheels and go tubeless.

When I done this I decided to run with Maxxis High Roller 2’s on the front and rear. 26 x 2.3 EXO.

What I am finding is I am getting fantastic grip on cornering and descents but as I am more of an XC/All Mountain Rider as opposed to Enduro. I am finding one of my biggest strengths climbing is really being affected by an average of 1-1.5mph on training rides due to running the heavier tyre which is mostly affecting my climbing. I am finding that I am having to work a lot harder on climbs than before which will probably reap the benefits if I was to run something lighter.

In the past I used to run a 26 x 2.25 Nobby Nic Evo Pacestar, I am wondering if I should switch to this on the rear to aid my climbing or should I swap to another tyre on the Maxxis Range such as the Crossmark? Ikon? or Ardent? I would be looking to run it Tubeless.

Open to all suggestions.

br
    Free Member

Ardents’ roll well and grip surprisingly well, and if it’s dry enough a Larsen is also recommended.

stevied
    Free Member

Just changed from a 2.3″ DHR2 to a 2.25″ Crossmark for the summer. Really impressed with the grip due to the aggressive(ish) side knobs but it rolls really well. I’ve gained about 1-2mph on my average speed up one of the bigger climbs. Mine is just the basic version (I got free to try) so will look into getting a proper TR/EXO version when funds allow.

prezet
    Free Member

I run Hans Dampf’s front and back – but am looking at a Rock Razor for the rear now the dry weather is coming.

g5604
    Free Member

the 2.35 ikon makes for a fast rear tyre – but depends what type of riding your are doing.

rusty20
    Free Member

I run 2.25 Nobby Nic Evo Pacestar on rear and find it climbs well

jonba
    Free Member

I like conti mountain kings (Mk2) They are fast enough rolling and the 2.4 front, 2.2 rear combo suited me well.

I’ve gone even more XC these days so I’m running 2.2 cross kings front and rear. Not so much grip but faster. They are predicatable though so I know how far I can push.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ooh, I am interested in this too, and am running HR II’s in 2.3.

My guess would be that a 2.2 Ardent would be bigger that the 2.3 HR II and they don’t have the pronounced side knobs and I am a bit fussy about not having a bigger tyre in the rear.

I am leaning toward the 2.25 Cross mark as a summer rear. Does anyone know how they size up compared tot he 2.3 HR II?

GHill

I was thinking of getting an Ardent Race as rear Summer tyre, but they seem to be hard to get hold of (29er EXO version). As far as I can tell they fit somewhere between an Ikon and regular Ardent.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Rock Razor is a good rear tyre come the summer and will weigh a bit less than the HR which tend to be a bit porky.

The Trail Kings on my hardtail seem pretty good too – grippy yet roll well. They have just replaced a pair of Mountain Kings and the feel just as fast but mych grippier.

igm

The Bontrager FR3 in the 800g TLR version was my favourite rear and still is on one bike, but it appears to have been discontinued.
    Good cornering knobs combined with a fast rolling central ridge. In soft conditions the central ridge just sank in and the knobs beside it drove you forwards.

Grippy, fast, nice ride, (easy up) TLR and not too heavy – buy it if you find it remaindered.

Or join a campaign to bring it back.

Kryton57

Get a Racing Ralph in Performance Dual compound £20, 530g.

The extra grip from the Evo won’t matter so much, and the harder center compound on the Performance plus the Raplhs tread will have you flying. In the corners I can’t tell the difference in grip between those and the Evo’s I used to use – with the exception of the thicker sidewall (67 vs 127tpi)

I use one for riding and racing, lots of people are missing a trick by not doing so also IMO.

stevied
    Free Member

I am leaning toward the 2.25 Cross mark as a summer rear. Does anyone know how they size up compared tot he 2.3 HR II?

I can measure up compared to a 2.3 DHR2 if that helps?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ardent race 29r on my 29r xc/race bike. Go very well for what they are. Running a regular ardent on the 26. Great tyres, going to swap the hrII for a minion though as I just prefer it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I can measure up compared to a 2.3 DHR2 if that helps?

That would, I am aware that my older DHF’s (2.35) measure up pretty close to my older HR’s (2.35).

chiefgrooveguru

The answer to all tyre size questions: http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de/

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Guru! Not got the 27.5 Crossmark in yet but a very good resource.
    I must remember to contribute to this.

cheers_drive

Vittoria / Geax Saguaro
    Fast but not delicate. Not for mud though

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tyres.. What to run on the rear?’ is closed to new replies.