Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Tyres that “wash out”
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

So I’m looking for new tyres and the one thing I’d like to avoid at all costs is that horrible unpredictability of tyres that suddenly decide they like lying down in a bend. I can cope with most stuff – slipperyness on roots/rocks etc, but that horrible feeling of your buttocks gnawing at your saddle as you teeter round an off-camber bend that you used to be able to do at full tilt with your old tyres is frustrating.

So what is it with tyres that give that wash-out effect. It seems like the “endless edge” of the contis should cure it, but then the fire xcs have a nice spikey stud design that should too, assuming the studs dont fold over. I’ve been unable to avoid my mudmad DH tyres for all-round use as I’ve not found a tyre that grips better in corners and slippery stuff, but they weigh in at nearly 900g.

For some reason I seem to “get on” with spikey tyres, like the fire xc seems to be, and shy away from things like the maxxis advantage which intuitively looks less grippy to me. But now I’m trying to find the moon on stick good all-rounder that rolls well and my conclusions have come back to the fire xc despite its spikey mud DH lookilikey appearance. Allterrain are doing a deal on folding fire XC 2.1s at the moment, I might splash out on a pair and see, they’ll probably re-sell well if I dont get on with them.

solamanda
    Free Member

Get some highrollers and concentrate on your weight transfer points, (inside bar and outside pedal). Single plys are fairly light and quick rolling.

rs
    Free Member

conti’s are the only tyre i’ve ever washed out on, it was conti flow 2.3 or 2.4s, granted they have a low profile tread but i hated those tyres.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. I’ve never been impressed by the mud tyre/dry tyre/winter tyre/summer tyre thing, and I reckon that tyre performance is about 10% actual and 90% imagined.

I’m sure people will be along to tell me I’m not riding quick enough, or I’m not real mountain biker, or that I’m too dim to appreciate the difference, but there you go.

If you like spiky tyres, buy a spiky tyre.

coffeeking
    Free Member

See the highrollers “look” slippery to me, I know its all pointless saying they “look” something as its a differnt matter, but how many people have tried all the tyre types rather than just choosing the one they have tried and stuck with? Hard to tell. The high-rollers look like they’d step out to me, due to that fairly square profile? I dont think tyre performance is 90% imagined, having swapped my tyres for some old ritchey megabites I re-did llandegla and nearly died (ok, exaggeration!) on several occasions despite changing pressures to try to find a sweet spot – none of it gripped like my mudmads, despite the mud tyres not really being designed for wet hardpack trails.

solamanda
    Free Member

conti’s are the only tyre i’ve ever washed out on, it was conti flow 2.3 or 2.4s, granted they have a low profile tread but i hated those tyres.

Only washing out on one brand of tyre? I’ve washed out on every tyre I’ve used!

solamanda
    Free Member

See the highrollers “look” slippery to me, I know its all pointless saying they “look” something as its a differnt matter, but how many people have tried all the tyre types rather than just choosing the one they have tried and stuck with? Hard to tell. The high-rollers look like they’d step out to me, due to that fairly square profile?

I have those mud mads for racing (DH) and find they’re great in mud but frikkin lethal on wet roots compared to an intermediate tyre. High rollers have far more grip assuming the conditions allow them to stay clear of mud.

The square profile does require a different cornering technique.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find Contis bad for it – which is a shame as otherwise I really like them. No warning – they just go

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 I’ve got used to the wet roots meaning you step a foot in either direction, because they usually grip again and you’re ok 🙂 How does the cornering technique differ exactly? I’m not sure I think about my cornering when I do it?!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

High rollers or comp 16/24’s – one tyre all year regardless of weather conditions

rs
    Free Member

solamanda – Member

Only washing out on one brand of tyre? I’ve washed out on every tyre I’ve used!

Well I’m just your regular trail centre type rider, I don’t race so I guess don’t push my tires as much as some others but those conti’s were terrible. I only bought them to reduce the rotating weight on my 06 enduro for a merida, tried them the week before at innerleithen and wiped out on the first decent.

Currently have super tacky high rollers, have lots of faith in them, even just looking at them they look grippy.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just read on MTBR that with the high rollers you need to be cornering hard before they bite, theres an in-betweeny section that slips. That doesnt sound ideal?

crikey
    Free Member

That sounds like MTBR BS to me…

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so that will be the bit that i try to corner on then,,,

[note to self]must attack the corner and not mince round it[/note to self] 😳

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know MTBR does tend to be ful of da rok ard DH teenz wit attitude, usually making zero sense and reviewing after 2 minutes use. I think I may have to bite the bullet and just start ordering tyres and reselling to find out!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I don’t like Panaracer Fire XC’s or any Contis that I’ve used. although I inadvertantely made the conti twisters I have far better than they ever were with the use of a stanley knife. All Maxxis that I’ve used have been grand.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Tioga Blue Dragon, replaced my XC pros and I prefer them

all tyres are going to break away at some point but I tend to judge them on how easily you can pull the slide back in with a twitch of the knee/bars

intense system 4 DC for drier conditions

MrNutt
    Free Member

predictable: high rollers

coffeeking
    Free Member

It seems the cat is indeed amongst the pidgeons now. How can I make an informed decision with contradicting advice!? 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks like I can get the folding version of the fire xc for the same price as teh blue dragons which have god-aweful reviews mmw?

stumpy01

I find my Fire XCs are pretty predictable and generally provide more grip that I have guts for.
    When they do ‘let go’ it’s generally on stuff that I think most tyres would struggle with.

Have you tried Speed Kings. I think they are good allrounders, but the knobs get totally shredded on predominantly rocky rides.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never tried speed kings but they were on my list of options until everyone started telling me contis are useless?! Are the fire XCs fast rolling or do they pay for their grippiness with spongey accel (the blurb would suggest they’re fast but I trust users over manufacturers lol).

chakaping
    Free Member

In addition to the ubiquitous High Rollers, you might like Nevegals or Mountain Kings.

I find them both pretty good all-rounders and not particularly prone to washing out.

Whatever you do don’t get Nobby Nics!

jfeb
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with Nobby Nics!

nickc

Bear in mind coffeeking, that mrmichaelwright could ride slicks and be OK in most conditions 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😳

missed your reply CK

I likes them :shrugs:

when I was researching what to buy, I looked at MTBR and SURPRISE SURPRISE the reviews are either very good or very poor! I based my decision on tread pattern, materials and gut instinct plus some of the comments from mtbr. they certainly aren’t a ‘freeride lite’ tyre as tioga seem to thing. what they are is a handy tyre for uk slop and grime over various surfaces. they do puncture rather readily though as nickc will confirm but only on really rocky stuff at speed which is not what I bought them for.

oh I also had some tioga mud tyres that were very good so thought I’d try another of their products.

at the time xc pros were let down by their rubber compound.

Richyb
    Free Member

All the Continentals ive had until recently seemed to be made of harder compound rubber than other tyres, making them less grippy particularly when wet. The new “black chilli compound they’re using on some tyres is a big improvement though, if you want conti’s i’d make sure they’re made with that. I thought Nobby Nics were awful in corners, really poor.

jfeb
    Free Member

My FS has a Nobby Nick up front and a Gravity on the rear at the moment. I am starting to thank my lucky stars I have made it round any corners 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i thought my nobby nics were excellent but i’ve only used them once so far

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

continental vert pros are the worst tyre I have ever used.

twohats
    Free Member

Tyre choice, very much horses for courses…

Richyb
    Free Member

I think Nobby Nics flatter to decieve, they roll really fast, and grip ok on normal terrain but the nobs are far too small to grip when things get more technical or you’re leaning them in corners. That’s what I felt any way.

dobo
    Free Member

best tyre i’ve tried in corners is a highroller, bonty tires, like big earl, acx and mudx are not too bad
    worst in corners is nobby nic, very fussy on psi setting and also because its actualy fairly grippy and good all rounder you expect it to be ok in corners, unfortunatley its unpredictable and has a tendency to let go randomly or not track as expected, fairly leathal on grass or loose stone terrain and fairly random on everything else.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I do rather like high rollers on my Pitch, after trying the tryes it came with (Specialized Eskars) that were shite, then conti mountain kings, went from good in the dry to damm right scary when they wore a bit, to Ignitors which are very good on hardpack and in the dry but a bit pants on more rooty stuff (I do lie them on my HT – probably cos I’m not as aggressive on that) and now I’m stuck on a HR Super Tacky on the front and a HR Maxpro on the Rear.

I’ll probably put a Larsen TT on the rear when it dries out a bit more and for trail centre use (especially Llandegla).

During the winter I’ve been using Bonty Mud X’s in 2.0″ on my HT and they’re bloody brilliant in the mud, on wet roots and in the generally crap conditions we’ve had this winter

devs
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

+1
    I’ve been to 2 wars and skied down a 40 degree ice sheet on fat powder skis with blunt edges. I’ve never been so scared as riding a normally average rooty trail in the wet on those POS tyres. Threw them in the bin.

radoggair
    Free Member

I’m quite impressed with my panaracer rampage just now. weight is o.k, if pumped up it rolls quick, grips really good and blows up big. Prefer it to the high roller just now, on front anyway

twohats
    Free Member

devs – Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

+1
    I’ve been to 2 wars and skied down a 40 degree ice sheet on fat powder skis with blunt edges. I’ve never been so scared as riding a normally average rooty trail in the wet on those POS tyres. Threw them in the bin.

I like Conti Verts, although they are very much a dry tyre.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Just as a counter, i found Conti Mountain Kings awful in the wet, be it mud or rocks. But like Speed Kings and even Race kings.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

+1 on Conti verts – they were fine as long as it was graded trail and you only went in a straight line. Lethal on anything else.

I like panaracer xc props for grip and rolling, but their carcass is puncture prone, Nokian NBX’s were going, but its difficult to get them in the right size/weight combo. For general dry/intermediate riding, my current favs are the kenda bluegroove and nevegal – a nevegal on the front is not a good thing though.

I’ve recently out a high roller on the rear wheel, and iI’m very impressed with it, Loads of edge grip, which suits the way I ride and surprisingly better rolling than the tread would suggest off-road. Pretty draggy on tarmac though.

sharki
    Free Member

All tyres will wash out giving the right speed/agression/terrain and weighting of the bike.

But weighting the bike well and the right tyre pressure will help alot.

Panaracer Rampages have felt the worse for me on loose dusty trails with the wrong pressures, some tyres have quite a tall square profile which obviously doesn’t help, so look for something with a more rounded edge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Tyres that “wash out”’ is closed to new replies.